Author Topic: Catherine Carnaughan/Carnaphen/Carnaffin  (Read 2815 times)

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Catherine Carnaughan/Carnaphen/Carnaffin
« on: Saturday 20 February 10 17:28 GMT (UK) »
My gt x 3 grandmother was Catherine Carnaphen b. abt 1771, chr. St Cuthbert, Carlisle.

This family line centres around Saint Cuthbert, Carlisle. Catherine married William Roney there in 1791.

Her parents :William Carnaughen and Mary nee Husk born abt. 1744, married 25 Dec 1764

Catherine's surviving siblings to adulthood were Thomas born 1766 and William 1773.

Does anyone else have a link or interest in this family please?
Names :Scriven, Parlour, Vaughan, Pember,Price, Thompson, Rennie/Roney, Hannon,Taylor,Pitt,Brice

Places: Alveley, Bewdley, Rock, Dukinfield, Manchester,Limerick, Bishopstone/Dilwyn, Swarraton,Alverstoke, Middlesex

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Carnaughan/Carnaphen/Carnaffin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 10 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scriv2

I don't suppose it is any help but I have a relative who was named Robert Carnaffan Hewetson, born Carlisle 1874, and have wondered about the origins of his 2nd name.
I pass the info on just in case.

Jo
Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.
Watson, Knutsford, Cheshire.

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 10 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - that does sound interesting.

I will follow that one through to see if I can spot a connection.. Thanks again!

It is an unusual name.
Names :Scriven, Parlour, Vaughan, Pember,Price, Thompson, Rennie/Roney, Hannon,Taylor,Pitt,Brice

Places: Alveley, Bewdley, Rock, Dukinfield, Manchester,Limerick, Bishopstone/Dilwyn, Swarraton,Alverstoke, Middlesex

Offline Carnaffan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 August 15 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hello some rough tracing of my family name Carnaffan to- John Carnaffan (son of William Carnaughan and Elizabeth Dodd) was born 9 June 1836 in Renwick Mill - understand this may trace back to William Carnaughan of rendwick mill? And maybe a ned Carnaughan noted as a miller in a folk song? 

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Carnaughan/Carnaphen/Carnaffin/Carnaffan
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 August 15 15:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carnaffan :)

I am now spurred on to revisit that side of my tree to see if there are any connections with that area.

Many thanks

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 August 15 17:43 BST (UK) »
For Many years in Carlisle there was a sweet shop/confectioners attached to Her Majesty's Theatre which went by the name of Carnocharn and Messenger. It was certainly there before WWII and right up until the theatre close c1970. Seems to be the same surname as the one you are interested in. Image can be found on Cumbriaimagebank.org.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 August 15 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Scriv 2,

It's been so long I had forgotten, but can now supply a 'little more' info than previously.

My relative Joseph Hewetson (sometimes Hewitson) b.1831 Cumwhitton, supposedly married Sarah Carnaffan, b.abt 1835 Addingham, Renwick.  I say 'supposedly' because I have not been able to find a marriage record, though indications are that if it took place it would be about 1855 in either the Carlisle area or, as they started their family at Winlaton, Blaydon in 1856 it could have been there.

Not sure it helps but your welcome to the info.

Jolyon
Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.
Watson, Knutsford, Cheshire.

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 August 15 23:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your contributions. It was such an unusual name - but I think that makes it a bit harder to track as there were so many variations as to the spellling.

I've got quite a bit to go on now. I won't be able to get down to it for a week or two as we will be away, but then I plan to focus on this line and see what I can get together.

I'll certainly report back if I have anything of interest. Thanks so much again.

Scriv