Author Topic: marriage/baptism:James Whitehead-Gilson & Frances Ryan  (Read 7498 times)

Offline smileygirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marriage/baptism:James Whitehead-Gilson & Frances Ryan
« on: Sunday 21 February 10 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Please can anybody help me? I have discovered my great great grandfather on the 1911 census of Ireland . ;D He was 84 born in Dublin c1827 . He was a retired butcher. He was on the census as James Whitehead but I've been told by family that his name was either James Whitehead-Gilson or James Gilson-Whitehead. He married a Frances Ryan (Fanny) not sure where she was born as she had already died in 1911. Hopefully she will be still alive on the 1901 census when that finally goes on-line fingers crossed. They lived in Tullamore , Offaly and may even have married there? They had at least 12 children all baptised in The Church , Tullamore and were all R.C.  The children all had the surname of Gilson. Most sites I have tried don't appear to cope very well with double barrelled names either which doesn't help me very much!

I am trying to find his baptism or his wife's baptism or their marriage.

I have looked on the    www.churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie    website but to no avail .( Their first child was bap 1847.)   Maybe I will try again in a few months when it's all loaded on for Dublin.

I have also tried the  http://www.familysearch.org  website to no avail. As I live in England it's very frustrating. :'(

Any  ideas?   If anyone is related and has a photograph of them I would be very grateful. Thanks

Interestingly their family  had a lodger called Henry Lafolley who was a professional Golfer from Jersey ,channel Islands with his wife Emma from Gibraltar and his baby daughter born in cork , Ireland. Someone had a page going about him on this website but as this is my first posting I can't tell him!  :-X

Offline freed65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Whitehead-Gilson & Frances Ryan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 February 10 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am also researching Whiteheads of Dublin, and may have stumbled on your ancestor. I have a James WHITEHEAD baptised 24th October 1824 in St Paul’s Arran Quay R.C. church whose parents were George WHITEHEAD and Mary Anne GILSON.

Now there is no address given on the baptism, but directories show a George WHITEHEAD as living at 32 Pimlico Street from 1831-1846 as a woollen manufacturer/dyer.

Strangely there are children baptised at St Catherine’s C of I church to a George and Mary, they almost seem to alternate between C of I and RC! As follows:

James 1824 St Pauls Arran Quay RC
William 1825 St Catherines C of I
George 1826 St Pauls Arran Quay RC
Edward 1827 St Catherines C of I
Charles 1828 Poss St Pauls Arran Quay RC
Ann 1828 St Catherines C of I
Mary Matilda 1831 St Catherines C of I
John David 1832 St Catherines C of I
John 1833 Clondarkin R.C.

It seems unlikely that there were 2 George and Mary’s living in the same area of Dublin. Maybe someone knows if this sort of thing was common? Certainly the Whiteheads I am researching all appear to be C of I.

Prior to that there was a Thomas Whitehead living at 32 Pimlico Street in 1824, probably his father, as there was a Thomas Whitehead baptised in 1794 at St Catherine’s C of I being of Pimlico, parents Thomas and Mary. Thomas was in 1801 at 22 Pimlico (Haberdasher), 1820 31 Pimlico Wool Factor, 1824 32 Pimlico (Dyer) wool.

Hope this helps.

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 February 10 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat.

This looks like your Thomas Whitehead, Dyer, at 32 Pimlico on Slater's Directory (1846). I guess you have found this reference already.

http://failteromhat.com/slater/0302.pdf

A few other Whiteheads also.

Dara.

Offline smileygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 February 10 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks oats and acorns and freed65 for getting back to me so quickly and for so much information that is fabulous!!!   It really looks as though it could be him and his family you really made my day.  ;D

I had no idea of any of this so it was great. 

Not sure what on earth is going on with the kids? Maybe one parent was of each faith and they did half each?  It's weird that they kept both names do you think that is because they didn't marry?

Anyway this is great for now. Thanks so much.  ;) ;) ;)

Offline Shamrockgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: marriage/baptism:James Whitehead-Gilson & Frances Ryan
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi just reading your link, it could be that they were both married to different people and their partners died, so when they re-married each other they could have been of two different faiths and with two sets of children with different surnames, so they went for the combination of the two, hence the double barrelled name.

Just an idea.

Offline btc

• I am sorry but I am having problems with my emails at the moment
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 June 11 17:32 BST (UK) »
Although he gives his birth place as Dublin did that just mean he was born in Dublin? Is this man related to Gilson family of Earl Street, Tullamore in the 1910 and 1911 census.  I had heard the Brophy and Ryan connections but didn't know the origin of the latter until I saw your post.
You had a recent post, about another local family, that I PMd you about - perhaps you didn't see that - maybe we could swap info.
B

Offline btc

• I am sorry but I am having problems with my emails at the moment
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 14:03 BST (UK) »
A local informant told me today that F Ryan was from Kilkenny and set up business in Tullamore as a barber before marrying James Gilson/Whitehead. One of the census returns for that Gilson/Whitehead family shows Plunketts and my info is that this was also a name change. Fanny Ryan is reported to have fallen down the stairs in Church Street, home pre-1901?, cutting her arm in the window at the bottom and this was reported in the local paper.
The Pimlico connection, as per researcher on the Dublin site, looks very good on the Whitehead line.
Next - from where did Mary Anne Gilson come?
BTC

Offline smileygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 March 12 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there freed65
you replied to my post a while back and were most helpful .

I am still trying to sort it all out .

I have since found out there were two george and marys and so the children CI belonged to one family and the RC belonged to the other family .

I hve only managed to find the copy of the slater directory 1846 ....what were the other directories you found your information in ....I would love to get the original copy of the information from the books.

Thanks

Offline brendan thomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 November 14 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi smileygirl any update on the Gilson-Whitehead family since above?