Author Topic: WW2 N.A.A.F.I. Records  (Read 17129 times)

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
WW2 N.A.A.F.I. Records
« on: Tuesday 23 February 10 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Could any one give me a clue as to where and what records can be found for a women serving in NAAFI WW2.

Migky  ;)

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 N.A.A.F.I. Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Not sure that there would be any records, NAAFI was a civilian organisation and not, as far as I am aware, connected with the armed forces. It wasn't in my time anyway (1955-1967), I could be wrong though!

Alan NZ
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Alan

You are right it is a civvie organisation so you would need to write to them for details.  It does exist but most of the shops they had on station or in the quarters patches are now run by Spar..... 

Migky -I wonder if the Imperial War Museum might be worth asking so see if they have any ideas...

Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 March 10 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi , sorry i have not been on line to reply. Many thanks to you both. I will ask at out local Imperial War Museum. Like you say they may well know if any records ever existed or survived ?
Migky  ;)

My Local Imperial War Museum

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 March 10 22:08 GMT (UK) »
The National Archives at Kew have a large number of records for NAAFI, but not necessarily a list of personnel employed during the war.  If you go to the NA Catalogue (link below) and enter NAAFI in the search box you will get a lot of hits in different departments.  You then need to work through them all to see if anything fits in with what you already know.  It then really needs a visit to follow up any possible leads.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

Sue
Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 March 10 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. I will give it a bash but the N. A. site is not the easyest of mind fields to work through and a visit is definitely out of the question for me.
cheers.
Migky  ;)

PS. Love your web site, if it is yours?

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 March 10 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Only me ... no-one else to blame  :-*

Sue
Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Not sure that there would be any records, NAAFI was a civilian organisation and not, as far as I am aware, connected with the armed forces. It wasn't in my time anyway (1955-1967), I could be wrong though!

Alan NZ
   You are "partly"   right,   but  when NAAFI   sent personnel overseas in war time  they went in uniform,  and in the case of the Army  they were attached to RASC     They had an Army number   and they were designated as RASC /   EFI    Expeditionary Forces Institutes.                  I believe this still happens today in War zones.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 18:13 GMT (UK) »

Alan NZ
    When they are close to the front line or sent overseas in support of men on active service they need to be in Uniform and have Army serial numbers.     Perhaps you should compare them  to Chaplains,   members of the RAMC,   War correspondents, and possibly  Officers and men in the Royal Fleet Auxilliary.

Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich