Author Topic: Mormon emigrants Halifax to Nebraska  (Read 9225 times)

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Mormon emigrants Halifax to Nebraska
« on: Thursday 25 February 10 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered some relatives who became Mormons, and emigrated to America in the 1860s and possibly early 1870s.

Phineas Tempest (1845) and his brother Joseph (1844) I believe emigrated in 1865, on the Belle Wood, leaving Liverpool 29th April and arriving New York 2nd June 1865. They were part of a group of Mormons bound for Nebraska.

Their younger brothers John Liberty ( 1850) and Alfred (1852) also emigrated, a bit later I think, but I 'm not sure exactly when.

Their step brother Ashworth Jackson may have gone with Phineas and Joe, but again I'm not sure of the year he emigrated

None of them seem to be on the Castle Gardens website, in fact that particular arrival of the Belle Wood doesn't appear at all, although one later the same year does.

If anyone has access to the appropriate records I would be very grateful for confirmation regarding Phineas and Joseph, and information on John Liberty, Alfred, and Ashworth Jackson. Also any other members of the Jackson or Tempest families who may have travelled with them.

Anne

Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Mormon emigrants Halifax to Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 February 10 16:23 GMT (UK) »
John Liberty Tempest is listed on passenger list in 1871 from records of the Nebraska State Historical Society - unfortunately gives nothing to look at.

Alfred Tempest age 22 years shows on the SS Bothnia  from Liverpool - 21 June 1876. Male Labourer.

Ashworth Jackson born 1847 appears on the New York passenger lists 31 May 1865 SS Belle Wood,  as do Joseph and Phineas under the name Jackson.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 February 10 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Phineus Tempest  married Sarah Jane Wilson 27 Sept 1866 Nebraska City. Otoe. Phineau died 24 March 1931 Rexburgh. Madison, Idaho. Seems to have had about 8 children.

Joseph Tempest married Dinah Mathers and had about 6 children. Possibly date of death 1932.

John Liberty may have returned to the UK and died in 1924

Alfred Jackson may have died 18 Jan 1924 Spokane. Washington.

Technical fault on the ancestry site at the moment so can't get any further.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 February 10 17:04 GMT (UK) »
A marriage for Alfred Tempest to Josephine M Lewis 10 Feb 1878 in Hamburg, Fremont County, Louisiana Children are:-
James Lewis Tempest born: 25 Nov 1878 in Hamburg, Fremont County, Louisiana
Ida May Tempest born: 2 Feb 1881 in Hamburg, Fremont County, Louisiana
George Alfred Tempest born: 28 Feb 1883 in Fairfield, Spokane County, Washington
Clair Leroy Tempest born: 20 Apr 1885 in Fairfield, Spokane County, Washington
Ruby Gladys Tempest  born: 27 Jan 1894 in Fairfield, Spokane County, Washington

Rootsweb World Connect Entry not updated since 2007. If you want further information, maybe worth trying to make contact !!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 February 10 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Children of Phineus and Sarah Jane Wilson are:-
Louisa Caroline Tempest born: 2 Jan 1870 in Nebraska City, Otoe County, Nebraska
Sarah Amelia Tempest born: 17 Apr 1873 in Riverton, Fremont County, Louisiana
John Elmer Tempest born: 6 May 1886 in Rexburg, Madison County, Idaho
Robert Anthony Tempest born: 8 Jul 1877 in Hamburg, Fremont County, Louisiana
Mary Elizabeth Tempest  born: 19 Jul 1867 in Nebraska City, Otoe County, Nebraska
Phineus Fredrick Tempest born: 21 Aug 1883 in Newton, Cache County, Utah
Margaret Ann Tempest born: 21 Aug 1883 in Newton, Cache County, Utah
Joseph Lorenzo Tempest born: 7 Nov 1879 in Bow Creek, Norton County, Kansas

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 February 10 17:14 GMT (UK) »
www.pilot.familysearch.org will give you some census and death information on Phineus and Alfred. Also Joseph Tempest and Dinah

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 February 10 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all of this Dettori, especially for the arrival information. It makes sense for Phineas and Joe to be under the name of Jackson, their mother Mary had married Jonathan Jackson  after the death of their father. I am wondering if Jonathan and Mary Jackson, who would have been respectively 45 and 44, also travelled on the Belle Wood.

I have seen the information that John Liberty Tempest returned to Halifax and died in 1924 on several Ancestry trees. I am sure this is not correct - there is no such death on the GRO, and further research into John Liberty finds him in Indiana on the 1900 census with his wife Ann (I think another Mathers - sister of Dinah). Ann and John L both appear on the Wabash Valley Obituary Index and I am awaiting images of the actual obituaries which I hope will confirm some details. John L did die though in 1924, and Ann in 1935.

Phineas/Phineus and his family continued to be active in the LDS church, and they are well documented, with in some cases very interesting personal memories and histories online. They had a tough time, and were pioneers in the Upper Snake River valley in Idaho.

I'm really enjoying searching out the free US records, the familysearch pilot site is invaluable for that isn't it?

Thanks again for your help.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 February 10 18:09 GMT (UK) »
I did go through all the list for the Belle Wood and no Jonathan or Mary, There were 4 other Jackson listed but the names had no significance to me: Ann. Amelia. Sarah. Ellen Ages 45, 20, 16, 9 respectively.  ;D

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 February 10 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again - those Jacksons don't mean anything to me either.