Author Topic: Origins of PENROSE aka PENROS  (Read 57804 times)

Offline Carol Davies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Origins of PENROSE aka PENROS
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 20 March 11 23:42 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendant of
Paul Penrose b.18/11/1792 Redruth d.22/3/1862 Trevellan and Elizabeth Penrose nee.Tredinnick b.23/3/1794 St Agnes d.26/6/1872.

Their eldest daughter Elizabeth Penrose b.2/2/1817 St Agnes d. jan/1890 Devonport, Auckland, New Zealand was my great great grandmother.

Elizabeth married a George Commons on 26/10/1834 in St Agnes, they had 3 daughters but only 2 survived. George died at some point, I don't know how or when.

Elizabeth then eloped with my great great grandfather William Davies a miner on 27/6/1842 at Truro, they had 9 children, 2 of whom were born in the UK, 1 in Sth Aust and the other 6 in NZ.

Elizabeth and William Davies are both buried on Mt Victoria which is on Auckland's North Shore.

I have heard that Elizabeth was disinherited by her parents when she eloped, is this correct?

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Penrose etc family history research
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 28 March 11 16:42 BST (UK) »
Dear Carol

The Cornwall Family History Society has been scanning Cornish Wills for some years now. You can place a request to them for a copy of the wills for both sets of parents.

Good luck.

Chris
Penrose Pollard Stoddern Bowers Milnes Starkey Chappell

Offline Carol Davies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hey, Thanks for that Chris, how do I get in touch with them? I live in New Zealand.

I would also be grateful if you could help me find out anything about William Davies' family he was born 28/6/1818 Trevallas, Cornwall.

Carol

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 10:56 BST (UK) »
Dear Carol

Go here for the CFHS:

http://www.cornwallfhs.com/index.php?page=advice

I'll check out William Davies after work, though you may be able to make a start using the using resources quoted in the previous help request.

Later, then

Chris

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: INFO ABOUT THE FAMILY OF WILLIAM DAVIES
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

I am a fan of showing people HOW to find information.

Accordingly, go to this website, and search for William Davies, while ticking the box marked "Include similar surnames":

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/

All the best

Chris

Offline Carol Davies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 31 March 11 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it. :D

Carol

Offline giddeygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
PAUL PENROSE m. Ann Giddy/Gedye/Giddey
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 02:46 BST (UK) »
I am searching for any information on my ancestor, born before her baptism as Ann Giddy on 1 January 1836 in Warleggan, Cornwall, the daughter of John and Ann Giddy or Gedye, later Giddey. Ann had a son, John Charles Giddy, born 1859 in St. Neot, father unnamed. Ann later married, as far as I am aware, Paul Penrose, in 1870. John's death certificate (NSW, Australia) shows his mother's name as Ann Weary and his father's as John Charles Giddey. I have been unable to verify the last two names and can find no other John Charles Giddey. Ann had a brother, John Coppin Giddy or Gedye. I am a total novice at genealogy and have no Ancestry or other subscriptions at present. John Charles Giddey was my mother's grandfather. Paul Penrose was gaoled for something, I think, according to records of Cornwall. I don't know whether Ann Giddey (John's mother) went to Australia following her son who served with the Royal Marines.  John appears with Ann in the 1861 and 1871 England Censuses and in London in the 1881 England Census, on the ship the Forrester. John served in World War I and later became Harbour Master in Victoria. Later he had a shop in Sydney, Australia. He married Mary Ann (Marianna) Babarovic(h) and they had four children.
Ann simply disappears from all records after her marriage to Paul Penrose. They had no children. He later remarried and had children. I cannot tell whether Ann died or they divorced or just disappeared. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Chris Penrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ann(e) Giddey
« Reply #70 on: Friday 06 May 11 22:52 BST (UK) »
Good luck with this GG with Margaret and others elsewhere. The best people to help you are nearly always those with a special SURNAME interest or some extra time.

I seem to be popular on the work front at the moment which takes up all my brain energy, lol, which is why I stick to the Penrose line.

I will leave your info on my Origins of Penroses thread.

Kind Regards

Chris

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 16 April 12 13:56 BST (UK) »
I am tryi g to trace my husbands family of Penroses who came from Gwennap, His grandfather was William John,he and several brothers went to SAfrica for several years. william returned to Cornwall. Have you any of your tree living in Gwennap?   llandinam.
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert