Author Topic: Spike Island, Cork. 1849  (Read 7230 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Spike Island, Cork. 1849
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 March 10 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Here is a link giving some background to the islands in Cork harbour - http://wapedia.mobi/en/Cork_Harbour

My grandmother was born on Haulbowline.

PS: just read the bit about 'barrack returns'. They produced muster books in this period, showing where each man was on the first of each month. These however were by regiment, and not by the barracks. So you need to discover which regiments were on Spike Island (Fort Westmoreland) in 1849. One would be the Royal Artillery, but there would be infantry stationed there as well. The muster and pay books are in Kew in Series WO12. You will need a reader's ricket.

Ken

Offline Guidingspirit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 March 10 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this information. I am considering paying for a professional researcher at the National Archives at Kew to get me the information that I want, such is my enthusiasm to trace my Irish roots, and this has given me something to quote to them. I am unable to travel at the moment due to family commitments so this seems to be the best option.
The Tomney name, however, seems to be something of an enigma and almost every search that I try to make comes back as "No match can be found" which is most frustrating.
Thank you again for your help,
                                                Regards, Jean

Offline emaline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Spike Island, Cork. 1914-1932
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 January 13 09:14 GMT (UK) »
I too, am trying to find out about inhabitants who lived on Spike Island during the period of 1914 to 1930-ish.  I have tried many evenues and sites, without any success in actually being able to trace my grandparents with their children there.

My grandfather was the Master Mariner  pilot for the boat that ferried between Spike and Cork.   I know this as my mother told me he ferried her and others to the mainland and back for school. They lived in a house/cottage  on Spike .  Grandfathers name was HENRY PHILIP PRESSEY and his wife was ADA PRESSEY.  Some of their children were 

HENRY PHILIP JAMES PRESSEY,

ELSIE PRESSEY

DOROTHY PRESSEY

WINIFRED  MARGARET NELLIE PRESSEY  (my mother)

EDWIN Robert PRESSEY. (prison Warder?) I think mother mentioned that he was.  he later became First Officer in Wandsworth Prison, London.

My mother married a soldier from the Barracks there.  LEONARD GEORGE MORRIS. L/CPL. RASC
at the Parish Church, Queenstown, Co. Cork.   17th September. 1929. Grandfather and an unknown  H. Lynch were witnesses to the cereomy caried out by what looks like,  S. D. Tichborne?

They returned to Hampshire, UK soon afterwards.  I do not know when grandfather returned with all his family as I never knew him. Just the very rare occasions my mother, deceased, would mention.

Water pump out in the yard. Village green where all washing was hung, often invaded by donkeys who tried to eat the washing. Horses, chickens and sheep.  And if the weather was  bad, no school on the mainland because the boat did not run in bad weather.

I just need evidence to know they were there and what years.  National Archives at Kew are not very helpful so far.  A very kind lady sent me the Street Directory for 1927, but I still cannot find them.  I will hopefully look forward to any more help.  thank you.

Please, if anyone can help me, it would be lovely

Offline Gill Nixon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 July 15 12:23 BST (UK) »
I have a ancestor Eleanor Golding who was born on Spike Island in 1837, he father was a Gunner in I assume the Royal Artillery as his occupation on her marriage certificate is Gunner R.A. He then went to the West Indies. Where can I find baptisms of military children? Her fathers name was William and her mother was Selina ?
William was born in Edingburgh just in case it helps.
Thank you in advance

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 August 15 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill

You should ask a moderator to move this to the Armed Forces section.

I cannot find him in the regimental BMDs and Findmypast do not appear to have his record. This suggests he was not awarded a pension. As with the previous question you need to discover which RA batteries were on Spike Island in 1837 and look up their muster books in the National Archives.

In this period they cover six monthly periods starting 25 March (the start of the army year) and marked April to September. It would help if you know the month Eleanor was born.

Ken