Author Topic: False info on illegitimate birth cert?  (Read 6803 times)

Offline JLB211077

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
False info on illegitimate birth cert?
« on: Monday 08 March 10 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know would it have been possible/common for a mother to give a false forename for herself when registering an illegitimate birth? (1922 Co. Donegal)
McALLISTER - Coleraine, Rasharkin, Ballymoney. RODGERS - Donegal
FISHER - Coleraine, Derry. GIVEN - Limavady
CANNING - Derry. McDAID - Derry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: False info on illegitimate birth cert?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 March 10 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Don't know how common it was but probably possible. Where was the birth supposed to take place (home, hospital, etc.)? and was the mother the informant?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JLB211077

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 March 10 21:15 GMT (UK) »
The child in question died a few months ago and his relations found a birth cert with a mothers name on it but this name does not correspond with the person who everyone believed was the mother. I don't know if it was a home or hospital birth for certain but would be quite sure it would be a home birth. The mothers forename on this birth cert is not a name known to the family and has not yet been identified on the family tree. Was just wondering was a false name used to disguise identity of the mother?
I haven't been able to view this birth cert yet.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 March 10 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Would be interesting to know if the birthdate on certificate matches the birthdate X (the recently deceased person) always used. Also details of informant.
A hospital/nursing home/workhouse birth would probably be more difficult for mother to give false name since she would presumably been registered at institution before the birth.
Can think of a few things to check so if you want more suggestions send me a PM.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JLB211077

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 March 10 21:37 GMT (UK) »
All other information on the certificate rings true ie dates, location, surname etc. It just seems to be the mothers forename - the mother was 'sent' to America to live with her grandfather when the baby was 5 months old - i know this is true as I have Ellis island records and US census records to prove this and she never returned :'(. The child was then raised by the grandmother (my great grandmother) - elderly living relatives tell me it brought great shame etc which makes me wonder is that the reason behind the false name.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 March 10 22:33 GMT (UK) »
It does happen.  One of my grandmother's cousins was illegitimate and apparently when the birth was registered in 1903 while her first name was correct, she used her mother's maiden name as her maiden name and gave the father her actual surname and what is assumed was a fabricated first name.  I suspect this was to cover the tracks of him being illegitimate.  He was also born at the house of her Uncle rather than at her parent's house.  He was brought up by his grandparents as being one of their children and apparently not told he was illegitimate until the day before he got married.  Thankfully his wife's family didn't call of the marriage but I think it may have caused bad blood since little contact seems to have occured between them and the rest of the family.  This was in the London area rather than Ireland but I would imagine the reasons for it were the same.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 March 10 22:56 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother ,who had two Christian names, gave birth to a baby in 1892. When I applied for the Birth Cert I was not allowed to have it because the Christian name of the mother which I had given was not the same as that on the cert. The address and father`s name was the same, all that was O.K, however the birth was registered by my grandmother`s sister who gave the mother`s name as Annie which was her second Christian name  and must have been a "pet" name but I had given grandma`s first name ---Margaret.
Perhaps something similar happened in your case.Viktoria.

Offline BridgetM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 March 10 23:04 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother was called Ann, and on her birth certificate, marriage certificate, and death certificate--(and on all her legitimate children's birth certificates)--she's Ann; but on her illegitimate son's birth certificate she's Hannah.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Of course it is possible about using another name, how many Irish people left Ireland and change their names, I know a large number of Irish people arriving in Liverpool many years ago all were book in at Liverpool under the name of Ireland.  Gallaghers arriving in America became Gulliver because of the accent.  I know now people are going to Ireland using my family name and saying that they are my family, so anything is possible with the Irish.  Don't forget many years ago it was a great disgrace to become pregant when not married.  It was normal of the baby to be brought up by the family and the girl sent to another part of Ireland or to England.