Author Topic: Military Hospital Catterick Camp - Photograph  (Read 25192 times)

Offline dkh51250

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Military Hospital Catterick Camp - Photograph
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 September 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
A photograph of the "old" hospital is contained in "The Catterick Camp Military Railway" by A.J.Ludlam, published by Oakwood Press. ISBN 0 85361 438 5 Refers. The book was published in 1993.

The houses in Teesdale/Swaledale roads were the first two storey married quarters built in the Camp. They were constructed by Dougals of Darlington and completed in 1933.

JF. I am updating the history of the Camp to coincide with the centenary in 1914 when construction began. Was your hospital history published at all? I have until the end of next year to complete research, and then begin editing.

Offline dkh51250

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 September 10 22:12 BST (UK) »
JF, You would hardly recognise the DKMH site now. Harden barracks have recently been demolished, including the Naafi.

Twould appear you are like me in that you suffer from "senior moments" by 96 DKMH was within a couple of years from closure.

Of the "old" hospital, all that remains is the wardmasters former house and what is left of the exercise area between there and Sandes Home. Sandes has been in use as a Command and Staff trainer since 1986.

Plans to build a further 175 married quarters on the area formerly covered by Harden barracks and DKMH Sgts Mess are currently on hold.

Offline jflood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 September 10 08:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update

I lived in Brompton on Swale for 13 years after I retired from the army and was actually in the Garrison and local area last week visiting friends.

The ward masters house is interesting,  (along with the CO's residence,  down the lane adjacent to the Nursing home),  as both of these were allowed to remain when the rest of the site was demolished  -  they are amongst the oldest propertises in the garrison.  From the perspective of usage the Wardmasters house served a number of functions over the years,  Wardmasters MQ,   RSM's MQ,  Pharmacists MQ,  Community Psych Team Office and clinic and most recently HIVE / Army Welfare Service.

Take a walk down the lane adjacent to Sandes,  (at the rear of the new MQ estate and you'll still be able to see foundations and remains of tarmaced pathways from the old Military Hospital and old 4 Fd Amb lines.  You might be able to see this from above on Google earth but I haven't tried    -   rather walked it myself last week.

A real shame that this   "heritage"   is almost lost.      The old hospital was also my first posting and memories are very vivid

Offline jflood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 September 10 08:26 BST (UK) »
Just checked my earlier post and spotted the  "typo"    thanks.

DKMH opened officially in Oct 76,  (not 96),   and we were actually in Occupation of the DKMH  from April 76 when we took it over from the contractors.   Equipment started to be moved then and the first patients transferred from the old to the new in Jun / July 76.

We had 2 platoons of  "chunkies",   (RPC),  attached to us for 6 months to do the humping and dumping allowing us to get on with the day to day work of running a small but busy hospital.

A  "notable" event during this time.    -   Much of the new domestic equipment for the new hospital,   (hoovers cookers etc),  had been issued and delivered to the old hospital and were amongst the first items to be moved to the new site.   These were stored in new med stores / qm stores on the rear corridor of the new building.   A few weeks after moving them to the new hospital there was a mysterious fire in the med stores where much of this new equipment was "destroyed"

The impact on us JR's at the time was a significant increase in regimental duties.  We were on rota's for Amb Jockey Security Picquet at the old hospital,   fire / security picquet at Harden Bks and now Fire / security picquet  in the new bDKMH building     I clearly recall to rumours of the burnt remains being old rather than new domestic equipment.   If that were the case,  where did all that newly issued domestic appliances go .............................................................. ?

Offline dnslade

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 October 10 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry,

Try "Francs Firth Photographer" website. He has a few pictures of Sandes. There is one of the White Shops and some of Camp Centre.

I had a short stay in the old Catterick Camp Hosp. as a child and remember it well and I used to live in the married qtrs. just along from the White Shops. Nana lived in Hipswell.

Deb.

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 17:03 BST (UK) »
My local library obtained for me a copy of the 1993 book 'The Catterick Camp Military Railway'.     Yes, there is a picture of the old military hospital but of unknown vintage   :( and not recognisable at all from when I served there is the early 1960s.

I'm not a railway buff but the book covered other topics which I read with interest.

Somebody, somewhere, will have a picture of the old hospital prior to DKMH being built in the mid 1970s,  so I will keep on trying.

Thanks everyone.

Offline harvo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 October 10 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, Although not a" Caterick Man" but a Yorkie interested in your postings,I am also ex N.S. -R.A.M.C [Royal Herbert Hospital Woolwich---Mount Kellett Hospital Hong Kong ].
          I know from your postings the following is not what you are looking for ,however it may still be of interest and to DKH with his book and others interested on this site.
         The QARANC site has a whole section on various closed and redundant former Military Hospitals and welcomes input to expand the written history,i did a small history on Mount Kellett H.K..Go to this site and trawl down the left hand column until you find Hospitals and Caterick and click on,there are a couple of good photographs taken from the air,yes they are of the newer hospital c1970s,might help DKH and your book ?and you may find someone writing who served with you.
        Best Wishes another Veteran

Offline dkh51250

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 November 10 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Further to the "new" DKMH. In the main entrance was a display cabinet containing artefacts from the Roman era uncovered during the construction of the Catterick bypass in 1959. The cabinet is safely stored within the QMs, however, the location of the contents are unknown.

Some of the cleaning staff have been there since opening day, but their knowledge relating to the location of the items is nil. All of the QMs staff have moved on and there does not appear anyone who can answer this particular question.

Offline postiebob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 October 11 18:17 BST (UK) »
I remember the hospital well, one of my jobs as a telegram boy was to deliver telegrams to the maternity ward there that was scary young lad pregnant women, remember the morgue round the back oh happy days being a postie, friend of mine rand the greenhouses near it.