Author Topic: Mabel Alice and Albert Lindsay Cross  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mabel Alice and Albert Lindsay Cross
« on: Sunday 21 March 10 01:16 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out anything about Mabel and Albert Cross.  This is what I have so far:

Mabel Alice Hammond was born in 1890 in Brighton, Sussex, England.  She married an Albert Burrell in 1915.  Albert died in 1917.  Mabel married Albert Lindsay Cross, a Trooper with the Canadian Army Veterinary Transport Corps on November 9, 1918 at the Liverpool Registry Office.  Albert's parents were Alexander and Christinia Cross (nee Speck).  Albert Lindsay Cross birth registration was in Cornwall, Ontario, Canada 1 December 1895. 
Mabel went to Canada on the "Melita" listed as a Military Dependent arriving in Quebec on August 22, 1919.  Mabel and Albert returned to England in 1926 on the "Antonia" with their 3 year old son, William Walter Cross.  The family stayed in England for 4 years and returned to Canada on the "Laurentic" in April 1930.  Albert's mother was living at 504 Marlboro Street, Cornwall Ontario. I think I have found most of the information on Ancestry relating to Albert, his parents, plus shipping records. 

If anyone can find out any further information about Mabel Alice and Albert Lindsay Cross and possible their son, this would be very much appreciated.   Thank you.

Kaybron

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mabel Alice and Albert Lindsay Cross
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 March 10 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Interesting information can be found at Canadian Great War Project at
http://www.canadiangreatwarproject.com/searches/soldierDetail.asp?ID=72944

You can view his attestation papers at www.collectionscanada.gc.ca
Soldiers of the First World War
You can order his complete military file at this same site and may find more info in the file for followup medical or death as he was injured a the Somme. He was in the 59th Battalion and his Reg. # is 455644

www.canada411.ca
only has four surnames for Cross in Corwall, Ontario. You may want to contact them to see if there is a connection.

You can also contact the Cornwall Public Library. They may be able to help with obituary or some genealogy sites in Cornwall.

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 March 10 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you valeriec.  I will follow up on ordering his file.  Is it better to work through a researcher to get copies of military file or is it easy to order direct via mail.

I did manage to find a death notice for Albert's mother, Christinia Cross, in Cornwall Ontario in 1932.  Alexander Cross (husband) reported death, therefore he must have been alive after 1932.

Regards Kaybron

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 March 10 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Cross 1857 - 1940 and Christina Speck 1850-1932
A photo of their gravestone in Woodlawn Cemetery Cornwall can be viewed at
www.cornwallroots.com
You have to register (free) at the site and wait for their return email.  The site also has obituaries for the area but none for Alexander or Christina or son Albert

Debbie

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 March 10 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you cosmac.  Have registered with cornwallroots.com.  I am not sure if Albert and wife Mabel stayed in the Cornwall area.   I will write to several of the people with surname Cross in Cornwall, Ontario to see if there is a possible connection.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 March 10 17:26 GMT (UK) »
You can order the military file directly through the secure archives website with a credit card. The cost per page is given in the ordering info (can't remember offhand). Unfortunately, you will not be given the cost ahead of time but files are usually not all that big and can be a wealth of information.

Did you know that Alexander apparently also served?

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 May 10 10:55 BST (UK) »
I have written to a relative of Albert and Mabel Cross.  The very kind lady that replied to my letter said that Albert Lindsay Cross was an uncle to her husband.  She said that Albert and Mabel passed away about 30-40 years ago and they lived in Lindsay or Petubu???, Ontario.  The handwriting is very difficult to read and I can't make out the second place.  She also mentioned that Billy, Albert and Mabel's son was in the Army (Kingston) and that he had also passed away.

Where might I find further details relating to Albert, Mabel and Billy? 

Regards Kaybron

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 May 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/08sj/
The link is to a google map which shows Lindsay and to the SE Peterborough Ontario which is probably the location you are having difficulty with.

Debbie