Author Topic: Sherrington Parish Registers - DOWNING (DOWNYNG), 16th century  (Read 36337 times)

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sherrington Parish Registers - DOWNING (DOWNYNG), 16th century
« on: Sunday 21 March 10 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to clarify some discrepancies that may exist in my DOWNING Family Book and the issue centers on one (or more) Emanuel's.
Please lookup any information that may be available for :

Emanuel DOWNING - possible olde english spellings may be DOWNYNG, or DOWNEINGE
b. (or baptized) 10 DEC 1594
m. 10 APR 1622 - Lucy Winthrop, dau. of Adam Winthrop
d. 26 JUL 1676

Emanuel and Lucy may have had the following issue (among other possible names):
1. George b. 1623
2. Nicholas b. 1627
3. Henry b. 10 MAR 1630 - Henry is believed to have later lived in East Hatley, Cambridgeshire,
but may have been born in Gloucestershire

Any and all confirming or conflicting information on these DOWNINGs would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a good day,
Rick T

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sherrington Parish Registers - DOWNING (DOWNYNG), 16th century
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 March 10 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.

I actually posted the other inquiry on the Suffolk County site because my Emanuel is believed to be from Suffolk but there seems to be another Emanuel (who may or may not have existed) that married the same Lucy Winthrop and was from Gloucestershire.

Also, not sure that Sherrington is a parish name, but may be a town or village.

If there is an Emanuel DOWNING from Sherrington born on or near the date given and married to a Lucy Winthrop, then I have quite a dilemma.

Offline Accra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 April 10 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Rick,
This is in answer to your message number 6. Re Emanuel and his wife Lucy nee Winthrop and children.
'Emanuell's [sp on doc.] son of George Downing Bapt the 12th August 1585.' This took place at St. Lawrence Church, Ipswich.
Your dates and place for Emanuel and Lucy's wedding are correct. They then moved to Dublin where [Sir] George Downing was born in 1623.

Over the years there have been so many different lists of their children. From surviving letters written by Lucy Downing the following are known -

George the future Sir George
Joshua [nickname Jo] given a job in Customes in Glasgow, Scotland by George.
Robert [Robin] Went to sea.
Lucy Norton married William Norton stayed in America
Ann Bradstreet formely Gardiner         "        "      "       
Martha w/o Capt. James Peters. Lived in Westminster, London.
John - In a letter dated 12/2/1639 from John Endicott to Gov. John Winthrop.
           "Your sister's son is named for you, John."
           Massachusetts Historical Society Collection IV 1:189.

There is no Henry or Nicholas. If there was a Nicholas there would have to be a William as he is named in Nicholas's will as a brother. The Henry I have seen named as Adam Downings father but to date there is no proof this is so. These Downings are complicated!
Good luck Jill.

Offline Accra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 April 10 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Rick,
Shenington is a town, not sure how big, about 10 miles from Banbury. Though physically in Oxfordshire was a detached portion of Gloucestershire untill 1844.

Don't worry there is not another Emanuel Downing from Shenington who married a Lucy Winthrop.
Jill.

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 April 10 15:35 BST (UK) »
Rick,

Please forgive me for acting as a devil's advocate but I make the following observations.

Submitted entries in the IGI may be fairytales in part or all of their details.

There is no Emanuel D given as b. 10 Dec 1594  anywhere in the country according to the IGI.  Without verifiable evidence, the details are not trustworthy.

There is a George D submitted birth/christening in 1632 with the location given as "Of Suffolk".  If the submitter had found verifiable evidence of the parish's location it would have been given hence the entry is not trustworthy.

The location given against the Nicholas submitted baptism entry is "Drummond" (or Drummond Deery which sounds like  a sort of camel - did the LDS submitter have a sense of humour?  ;D) I can find no such British place and even the LDS library Place Search facility gives nothing.

Henry D's baptism is likewise an untrustworthy submitted entry in the IGI.

Further to the above, the LDS film of Sherrington parish church records is in their library catalogue and is given as being in WIL - not that that matters.   The Sherrington BT's 1608 - 1880 being the earliest.  Had there been earlier records in the WIL  record office at Trowbridge, I have no doubt that they would have been filmed.

In conclusion, I recommend that you check the provenance of all your records and any which are submitted IGI entries or found in a another's tree, should be verified by checking reliable contemporaneous documentation such as PR's and BT's.

Regards

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline Accra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 April 10 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Chas,

Nicholas Downing was of Drummard, Maghera, Co. Londonderry. [Ref his will]

The name should have been Shenington which is off the A422 near Banbury in Oxfordshire, not Sherrington in Wiltshire.

Hope this helps Jill.

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 April 10 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Chas,

In reply to your post earlier today, I have determined through the help from Accra (Jill) and others that there is indeed only ONE Emanuel Downing b. 1585 from Ipswich, Suffolk and further that he is NOT in my direct line.

I'm also aware that LDS/IGI submittals are unreliable beyond perhaps confirmation of dates due to the many duplicate and incorrect relationships posted.

George b. 1623 of Suffolk is also no longer of my immediate concern.

Henry is one of my "persons of interest" in my direct line (supposedly) and for whom I am seeking additional PROVEN info.
Accra (Jill) has already furnished some valuable data that is helping to mesh some of these puzzle pieces together. From her research, it has been determined that Henry was baptized 14 NOV 1640 at St. John's, Hackney, Middlesex.
I am looking for proof that (this) Henry married Jane Clotworthy 2 JAN 1665 and had the following children:
1. Adam b. 1666
2. John b. 1667
3. George b. 1668
4. Elizabeth b. 1669
5. Daniel b. 1670
6. Anne b. 1672 d. 1674
7. Margaret b. 1675
8. Anne b. 1678
9. Samuel b. ????

If this can be proven, one of my "gaps" will be successfully linked.

Thanks much for your input, all is welcome.
Rick

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 April 10 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Chas,

Nicholas Downing was of Drummard, Maghera, Co. Londonderry. [Ref his will]

The name should have been Shenington which is off the A422 near Banbury in Oxfordshire, not Sherrington in Wiltshire.

Hope this helps Jill.

Thanks Jill, your input has been great.
I have located Shenington on Google Maps (it's apparently too small to appear on my UK Road Atlas).

I'll post an update on how these Downings are meshed together as soon as I get some verified proof on Henry, who I believe to be the son of Calybut(e) (Jr) and father of Adam.