Author Topic: Stepside near Cardigan  (Read 3910 times)

Offline Flamingjune

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stepside near Cardigan
« on: Sunday 21 March 10 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any information about a place called Stepside just outside Cardigan?  I am just starting to research my great grandmother's mother - Mary Jones - who came from Cardigan and on one census she states that she came from Stepside Cardigan.  From old maps I have discovered that there was a large house (possibly a farmhouse) and cottages on Gwbert Road and I believe a lot of the area is now covered by a housing estate.  With a surname like Jones it's like looking for a needle in a haystack, especially as her father's name was William.  When she died she was living in a small village just outside Cardiff.  If anyone can help at all that would be great. I would also be interested to hear from anyone who's looking for her in Glamorgan.
Leckwith - Coles, Lewis, Wyatt, David
Nether/Over Stowey - Coles
Penarth - Pearce, Bate
Cardigan - Jones
Barry - Parsons
Herefordshire - Parsons
Gravesend - Pearce
Wallsall - Bate
Mountain Ash - Battram

Offline cardibetws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stepside near Cardigan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Just seen your message requesting information about Stepside, Cardigan. This is a farm just outside Cardigan on the road to Gwbert. I dont have any further information but know the current owners - James.

Offline Flamingjune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi James

Thanks for your message.

You say you know the owners of Stepside - do you know if they have any information about the history of the farm?  I'm trying to find out about a Jones family who may have worked at the farm or lived in a cottage attached to it sometime in the early 1800s. 
Penarth - Pearce, Bate
Cardigan - Jones
Barry - Parsons
Herefordshire - Parsons
Gravesend - Pearce
Wallsall - Bate
Mountain Ash - Battram

Offline cardibetws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 05:24 GMT (UK) »
I will try and contact them as soon as possible to try and get you information. If you want to find out yourself you will get their details by searching for Stepside in Google. They are agricultural contractors - Gareth James and Sons. Hope this helps.

Offline Flamingjune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 January 11 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your offer of help, if you can find out anything for me I'd be grateful.   As you can imagine searching for a Jones family so far back will be like looking for a needle in a haystack.  Do you know if there's a local history society in the area who may have some information?
Penarth - Pearce, Bate
Cardigan - Jones
Barry - Parsons
Herefordshire - Parsons
Gravesend - Pearce
Wallsall - Bate
Mountain Ash - Battram

Offline cardibetws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 January 11 20:07 GMT (UK) »
I know full well what it's like to trace family members with surnames like Jones, James, Evans and Davies! Do you have any details of the person you are looking for apart from your original post?

There is a Dyfed Family History Society with a branch in Cardigan (Aberteifi). Their representative is
Mr Clive Richardson and meet 1st Monday in the month, 7:30 pm at The Guildhall, High Street, Cardigan. You can search for them on Google.

Offline Flamingjune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 January 11 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, I don't have much to go on at the moment. 

My gt gt grandmother's maiden name was Mary Jones (don't know if Mary was spelled another way - that's how it appears on censuses etc) & her father was William Jones.  You can see how difficult it is with the names can't you.  On most censuses it says she was born in Cardigan, Cardiganshire except for one that says she was born Stepside Cardigan.  She was born about 1825.  She only spoke Welsh when she married my gt gt grandfather & I think she was a Non-conformist, possibly chapel.  There's a possiblity that she's related to a Winifred (sp?), Jones & an Elizabeth Jones who also came from Cardigan.  They all ended up in a little village called Leckwith, just outside Cardiff, where I grew up.  I wondered if it's possible her family worked at Stepside & maybe even lived nearby.  I've done some basic searching but it's not easy with so little to go on.
Penarth - Pearce, Bate
Cardigan - Jones
Barry - Parsons
Herefordshire - Parsons
Gravesend - Pearce
Wallsall - Bate
Mountain Ash - Battram

Offline cardibetws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 January 11 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look at the 1841 census on Ancestry and checked the Parish of St Mary in Cardiganshire. In District 6, page 6, it shows the occupants of Stepside as Davies. You may want to check for yourself the surrounding properties but I didn't find a Mary Jones. But this is the page of the properties as I recognise some of the names. She may have moved from there by then.

Offline Flamingjune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 January 11 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, I'll have a look on the 1841 census.  I don't know when she moved to Leckwith or how she got there.  What doesn't help is that she was born before birth registration in 1837.  I think I'm going to have to try to find her birth on parish registers if there are any available but there will probably be a lot of Mary Joneses with father's name William born around that time.
Penarth - Pearce, Bate
Cardigan - Jones
Barry - Parsons
Herefordshire - Parsons
Gravesend - Pearce
Wallsall - Bate
Mountain Ash - Battram