Author Topic: Uddingston picture?  (Read 9019 times)

Offline YorkshireWanderer

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Uddingston picture?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 July 15 18:05 BST (UK) »
A small additional note:  I found local 1913-14 business list at

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fs1

which says the Uddingston Steam Laundry was on Bellshill Road.  Currently the B756 running from the centre of Uddingston, north-east toward Bellshill is Bellshill Road but it looks like that's a name change and Sancti is right about the location of the the Laundry as where the current Croft Wynd is.

One final note, I've been looking at the maps and think I can tell you where the photo was taken (see attached graphic).  The property outlined in red looks like it was the house where the photo was taken and the bench was in front of the gate which led out to the steps down to the Station Yard - quite typical for Station Master's access to work.  I've ringed the steps on the map in purple and the green lines show the rough alignment of the photo/cameraman, I think.

Hope this helps

Moderator Comment: Copyright image removed. Please see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 July 15 16:11 BST (UK) »
Well done, Yorkshire!

So the station would be Uddingston, which belonged to the North British Railway and was opened in 1878.  It was renamed Uddingston East in 1953, was closed to passengers in 1955, and to goods traffic in 1961. 

Interesting that "North British Road", which led to the station, is still so named - 92 years after the N. B. Railway Company disappeared, absorbed into the London & North Eastern Railway in 1923 and then British Railways from 1948.
Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 July 15 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Manick,
     The Uddingston Steam Laundry is not marked on this OS 25 Inch 1892-1905 map but we know from the map posted by 'YorkshireWanderer' that the laundry is in the triangular area beside the Vale of Clyde Preserve Works. I notice on 'YW's map that Station Road has been renamed North British Road.
          http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=55.8227&lon=-4.0779&layers=168
     The National Library of Scotland (nls) maps is one of my favourite sites. Slide the Blue dot at the bottom left of screen for an up-to-date satellite over-view, or click on blue Side by Side to make 'then and now' comparisons easy. Zoom in & out, select different maps or areas.
     Hope this helps.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline downunder12

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 December 15 00:43 GMT (UK) »
I've just found this picture, so a belated question. A branch of my family were Ritchies from Uddingston. Name of Alexander Ritchie, who I think was in the mining industry, who died in 1972- his son Major James Ritchie, age 28, was killed in the Ruhr mine disaster in Jan 1946, and his name is associated with the Uddingston war memorial (I found this via the Scottish War memorial website). Alexander Ritchie was the son/grandson? of James Ritchie who was married to Elizabeth Simpson Malcolm. 

I wondered if there is any connection with your picture - what are the names of the old lady's husband and the three sons?

With thanks.