Author Topic: Siblings of Fanny Brereton??? - COMPLETED THANKS PB  (Read 1779 times)

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Siblings of Fanny Brereton??? - COMPLETED THANKS PB
« on: Wednesday 23 March 05 17:26 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the siblings of Fanny Brereton, chr.10/06/1783, Acton by Nantwich, Cheshire, parents Thomas and Hanna, The problem is I have come across the following possibilites -

Parents - Thomas and Hanna
Betty chr. 22 Jan 1775
Sarah chr. 28 Mar 1779
Catharine chr. 20 Mar 1785
John chr. 15 Mar 1789

Parents - Thomas and Hannah
Randal chr. 20 Aug 1769
Ann chr. 12 May 1771
Mary chr. 04 Apr 1773
George chr. 11 Feb 1787
George chr. 23 Jan 1791 (Did the first George die?)
Jane chr. 17 Aug 1800

There are also some children born around this period to a Thomas & Ann and Thomas & Anne, but I think I can discount these.

Trouble is, are the above children all the from the same Thomas and Hanna/h or have I separated them correctly into two diffferent familes??

Your opinions please???

Thanks,
Catherine  :)
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Siblings of Fanny Brereton???
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 17:35 GMT (UK) »
This is always a problem !

I would say that you need to look at the original records - and go through each baptism.

You may find that by noting the abode and occupation of each one, you can confirm whether there are more than one couple....

It is possible that all these children belonged to the same parents......
depending on the parish clerk, or whoever wrote their name in the register - they could give a diferent version or spelling.

~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 March 05 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the dates, they do look like they could all be the same family, although from 1769 to 1800 is 31 years!! Thats a long time to be having children between isnt it??

Where would the original records be kept? Do they do searches for you? (I have a job and two young children so unfortunately I cant spend hours travelling the country and trawling through records myself, and I'm too impatient to wait until I retire!)  :)

Catherine

Richards - Neath Swansea

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 March 05 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Maybe there is some-one on here who lives in the area & is willing to help....

Try this website.....for the local family history group

www.scfhs.org.uk

they may help you if you contact them.....it might even be worthwhile joining them.

I belong to a small local group in Yorkshire - we do lots of transcribing here, and new memberships can help us so much financially !!
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 March 05 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Catherine
                   I think I may be able to help you out with this one, I have an index of all the marriages at Acton St Mary from 1617-1837 and there is only one marriage that seems to fit the bill, a Thomas Brereton and Hannah Vickars dated 29/7/1769, I have also checked the nearby Nantwich St's Mary and Nicholas and nothing matches there. A search of Wybunbury marriages show two possibilities 7/11/1763 to Hannah Saxon and 9/1/1773 to Anne Featherstone.

Hope this helps a little and dosn't just confuse things even more  :-\

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 March 05 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks peterbennett. I think its most likely the 1769 marrriage to Hannah Vickars I'm looking for. Although if thats the case, i think there must have been a bit of interfamily marrying going on, as  that would mean a daughter of Thomas and Hanna/h - Fanny Brereton married a Richard Vickers (maybe her cousin?) in Acton, and they had a daughter, also called Hannah Vickers!! Do the records you've got have any more details on them, such as occupations or parents? (only been doing this family tree thing a couple of years so still got the L plates)  :)

Tracing the family is certainly a challenge!! How can we ever be sure we're tracing the right ones??!!  There must be a fair bit of "assuming" going on :-\

Also, poor Hannah was having children over a period of 31 years, if all these children are hers!! Twos enough for me  :)

Thanks again
Catherine  :)
Richards - Neath Swansea

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 March 05 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
     You are right that 31 years is a heck of long haul and possibly all the baptisms you found may not be thiers, I dont have any further info sorry, I only have the indexes, you could try the Cheshire recods office they will be able to give you all the info from the original parish record. Just send an email to the address on this link and give them the marriage date, they will normally do a search for free.
http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.htm
     As for L plates I am not sure you need them If you have got back to the 1700's then you are doing well, I have been at it for donkey's years and not got back that far with some lines.
    There is a lot of assuming to be done, but never assume that what you have assumed is right  :o ;)
    If you need any further help with your Cheshire families you can always find someone on the Cheshire board.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,6.0.html

good luck

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs