Author Topic: 1700's Goody family Newnham Murren Crowmarsh Gifford  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1700's Goody family Newnham Murren Crowmarsh Gifford
« on: Wednesday 07 April 10 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to establish who exactly are the parents of my 4 x great grandfather Richard Goody.

At present I have 2 to choose from the first is Richard Goody baptised on 20 May1744 in Crowmarsh Gifford, son of Richard Goody and Ann.
The second is Richard Goody baptised in Newnham Murren on 12 Jul 1747 with parents John Goody & Martha.

I have marriage dates for Richard Goody and Ann Evans on 28 Nov 1730 at Newnham Murren and for John Goody and Martha Taylor on 20 Oct 1734 in Newnham Murren.

I also have a death of a Richard Goody who was buried on  31 Aug 1816 in Newnham  age 73 which gives a birth year of 1743. I believe this is the son of Richard and Ann.

I believe that Richard Goody who married Ann Evans and John Goody who married Martha Taylor may have been related possibly brothers.

In a general search that I had made of the whole of Oxfordshire parish records transcribed by the Oxfordshire Family History Society I could not find any any suitable candidates for the parents of Richard and John Goody.

I have concluded that they moved to Oxfordshire, but from where?

Any help to take me further back with my Goody research would be gratefully appreciated.

Best wishes

Richard  :)
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline Shertur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Kian & Cameron the youngest members of the family
    • View Profile
Re: 1700's Goody family Newnham Murren Crowmarsh Gifford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't know whether this will be of any help to you, but my stepbrother Peter, & family live in Newnham Farmhouse, which actually has the postal address of Crowmarsh Gifford, but in reality is one of about three houses, comprising the farm itself and a couple of farm cottages.

In their grounds is Newnham Murren Church, which they seem to have responsibility for, and a key!

I'll pass this message to Peter to see if they can help you.

Good luck

Christine
Bushnell - Whitchurch Oxon, Reading Berks, Chelsea
Harmes - Ashford Middx, West Molesey Surrey
Newson - Suffolk, London
Thirkettle - Pulham Market Norfolk
Cottington - Lewes Sussex, Chelsea
Andrews - Ashford Middx
Brown - Brighton, London
Bryant - Ashford Surrey
Bullen - Suffolk
Carpenter - London
Chapman - London
Hackett - Egham Surrey
Jaggard - Burrough Green Suffolk
Pledger - Suffolk/Cambs
Turrell - Staffs/Warks/Northants
Ward - Suffolk

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine

Thanks for your reply I look forward to hearing from you further.

Best wishes

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline Shertur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Kian & Cameron the youngest members of the family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard

I saw my step sister in law at the weekend and asked whether she had contacted you re Newnham Murren.  She asked me to re resend your query, which I did.

Unfortunately she cannot help you but suggests that you contact the undertakers or sexton in Crowmarsh Gifford who may be able to help you further.  She didn't give me their details but no doubt you could find them online.

Happy hunting!

Christine

Bushnell - Whitchurch Oxon, Reading Berks, Chelsea
Harmes - Ashford Middx, West Molesey Surrey
Newson - Suffolk, London
Thirkettle - Pulham Market Norfolk
Cottington - Lewes Sussex, Chelsea
Andrews - Ashford Middx
Brown - Brighton, London
Bryant - Ashford Surrey
Bullen - Suffolk
Carpenter - London
Chapman - London
Hackett - Egham Surrey
Jaggard - Burrough Green Suffolk
Pledger - Suffolk/Cambs
Turrell - Staffs/Warks/Northants
Ward - Suffolk

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine

Thanks for your message and for trying on my behalf.

Regards

Richard