Author Topic: Elizabeth Hickey. c1819 Tipperary  (Read 11996 times)

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Hickey. c1819 Tipperary
« on: Friday 09 April 10 19:40 BST (UK) »
HI everyone.

With the help of rootschat, and other research sites, I have been trying to find the roots of an Irish family named Hickey who are in my tree,  but with no success
The info I had related to the 1841 census for Liverpool, the main persons being. >

John Hickey 45 yrs Carter b Ireland
Ellen Hickey 41 yrs Wife b Ireland
Elizabeth Hickey 22 yrs Dau Ireland
Alfred Smith b Liverpool husband of Elizabeth.

My latest info is possibly for Elizabeth, and a link for the Hickey family to Tipperary >

The search was for an Elizabeth Hickey b 1819 + or - 2 yrs somewhere in Ireland, with a father named John. The only one that came up with matching data was one for 1819 Tipperary, this is the only one that fit that date range.

Now where do I go from here, is there anyone who can help me.

Kind regards  Scouse
Smith, Davies, Myers, Hickey, Hunt, Maxwell, Bennett, Harrison, Mitchell, Gill, Peers, Young, Jardine Scott, Patterson, Williams, Roberts, McNally, Critchley, Nicholas, LLoyd, Cowley, Hanks, Wilson, Burgess, Standen,
Liverpool. Ireland. Scotland. New Zealand.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Hickey. c1819 Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 April 10 19:55 BST (UK) »
just wondering where the Tipperary details come from, do you have information on where in the county Elizabeth came from or was this clue based on a search of the IFHF database ?

It's worth noting that not all records for Ireland (or Tipperary - many from the south of county are not included) are available online  on the IFHF website and some parishes do not have records back as far as 1819.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 April 10 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane.

In answer to your questions.
The info was sent to me in response to a post that I put on Irish  forum, Genealogy. com. sent by that amazing researcher Ralph Connors. He says that the Catholic church,took control over most of the parish records for Tipperary ( North ) and that these are available thru the Tipperary Fam Hist Res centre at a substancial fee, regardless of results, and the NationalLibrary of Ireland on micro film, that is all I have. but he did go on to say that for a John Hickey b c1796 there where 14 results covering Counties of  Ireland.
Basically that is it.

KInd regards  Scouse

Smith, Davies, Myers, Hickey, Hunt, Maxwell, Bennett, Harrison, Mitchell, Gill, Peers, Young, Jardine Scott, Patterson, Williams, Roberts, McNally, Critchley, Nicholas, LLoyd, Cowley, Hanks, Wilson, Burgess, Standen,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 April 10 23:14 BST (UK) »
I think I've seen those posts by Ralph Connors on Genforum- just cut and paste like this one (although he seems to post them for any surname)-
http://genforum.genealogy.com/hickey/messages/3027.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 April 10 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Scouse (love the name actually),

When I read your post first, I thought you were posting your own findings from the IFHF site at http://ifhf.brsgenealogy.com/

Personally, I would recommend that you spend a little time understanding what this site has to offer and how it was implemented before you place any trust in it.

Unfortunately, Civil Records in Ireland only go back to 1864 for births so you will need tom consult Church records to go back earlier.

Check out the quick guide at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,447906.0.html

Good luck with your search.

Dara.

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 April 10 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Dara.

Your comments and advice taken on board, could not open the link you posted, first part ok, it led me to the correct page, but then when clicked on, it showed a blank page.
I have tried over the years, through different sites, posting various Irish based look-ups, all without any luck, but with occasional expence, and most replies tend to say the same thing > that the Irish records are a nightmare to navigate, that is why I tend to rely on more experienced researchers for help. 
Hope that explains things better.

Kind regards  Scouse

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 April 10 09:54 BST (UK) »
The problem with basing a search on the IFHF database is that whilst it does cover about 70% of the counties, it excludes some major population centres  - i.e. Cork and Dublin cities , and and this particular case they do not cover several counties that have the largest number of Hickey households - i.e. Clare, Waterford and parts of Cork. These and other counties are not included in any online sources at the moment.

Because of that any online 'all-Ireland' search of a database is meaningless, as there could be 10 other potential Elizabeth Hickey births that are not included in your search.

To start a pre-civil registration search, especially for a reasonably common surname, two details are required - religion, and location i.e. parish, town or townland. Remember also that not all early records have survived.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 April 10 10:35 BST (UK) »
could I add my tuppence worth .. the database on the IFHF site, while having a certain use in a country with poor availability of records, is far from dependable. From my own personal experience trawling through microfilm in the NLI, the records on IFHF do not contain a lot of information available on originals. Many records were not transcribed, especially if the record was difficult to read, it was simply omitted. I have discovered several of my ancestors from the microfilms that are not on the IFHF site for available counties. Not to mention incomplete transcriptions on the records that are on IFHF.
So take it as a guide rather than a bible of records!
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 April 10 10:48 BST (UK) »
...The info I had related to the 1841 census for Liverpool, the main persons being. >

John Hickey 45 yrs Carter b Ireland
Ellen Hickey 41 yrs Wife b Ireland
Elizabeth Hickey 22 yrs Dau Ireland
Alfred Smith b Liverpool husband of Elizabeth.

a question on the details you mentioned earlier ....

did John and Ellen have any further children  - i.e. born in England ?
If so you could find Ellen's maiden name on an English birth cert (or baptism record  before 1837), which could help confirm any search results in Ireland .. as if a marriage can be found anywhere (either on the IFHF or other site) between a John Hickey and an Ellen xxx, then it is very likely to be the correct family, and therefore be a great starting point.

Shane
My Surname Interests