Author Topic: Elizabeth Hickey. c1819 Tipperary  (Read 11997 times)

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Hickey. c1819 Tipperary
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 April 10 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Scouse,

I checked both links above and both seem to be working normally. Anyone else having difficulty?

The intro to Church Records is on .pdf so you will need to have Adobe installed to view.

On the IFHF site you need to register (free) in order to search the database (free). If you want to view the tanscripts it costs 5 Euro each.

The advice above from Shane and Agho is very sound and complies exactly with my experience of the site. Knowing where to look is the key.

Dara.

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 April 10 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane.

In answer to your query, re further children, the answer is yes details are>

James 18yrs son b L/pool
Maria 14yrs dau b L/pool
Francis 7yrs son b L/pool

Sound advice from Dara &  Agho, thank you both.
Smith, Davies, Myers, Hickey, Hunt, Maxwell, Bennett, Harrison, Mitchell, Gill, Peers, Young, Jardine Scott, Patterson, Williams, Roberts, McNally, Critchley, Nicholas, LLoyd, Cowley, Hanks, Wilson, Burgess, Standen,
Liverpool. Ireland. Scotland. New Zealand.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 April 10 09:57 BST (UK) »
Since the details come from the 1841 census they all appear to have been born before civil registration started in England (1837). Maybe someone with knowledge of Liverpool church records could hep you find one of the baptisms ?

p.s. do John, Ellen or Elizabeth give a more detailed location of birth (other than just Ireland) on any of the census returns you have found for them ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 19:56 BST (UK) »
HI Shane

Sorry for the delay in answering.
In reply to your query any further info, The details that I posted are all the info I had.
I am now going to post a look-up on the Lancs forum, and, as you suggested see if anyone can help with a possible baptism.

Kind regards  Scouse
Smith, Davies, Myers, Hickey, Hunt, Maxwell, Bennett, Harrison, Mitchell, Gill, Peers, Young, Jardine Scott, Patterson, Williams, Roberts, McNally, Critchley, Nicholas, LLoyd, Cowley, Hanks, Wilson, Burgess, Standen,

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
If you can find find a maiden name for Ellen on one of the children's baptisms, it would be very useful, as should be enough to confirm or rule out any baptism that can be found in Ireland for Elizabeth, or even a possible marriage for Ellen and John, especially as all we have as a location is Ireland.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane.

I have just this minute posted a look-up on the Lancs forum,
have a look-see, I think I have got it covered.

Kind regards  Scouse

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 20:50 BST (UK) »
I had a quick look at your Lancashire post, seem to to cover the essential details. I am guessing the family may have been Catholic ?

Hopefully someone will be able to help you locate details of one of the baptisms. The details may confirm the county Tipperary theory or send your search wider... but at least with an additional clue to use.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
H Shane.

Hopefully something will come up.

Thanks to all who contributed to this post.

Kind regards  Scouse

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 April 10 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Scouse..

I've seen the reply to your query on the Lancashire board... very strange if that's true, as I've seen mother's maiden included on many much older (i.e. late 1700s) baptism records in Ireland - both RC and Church of Ireland, I didn't think English church records would be that different.

link : Baptism look-up Liverpool pre 1837

Since the only place of birth mentioned on the Hickey census returns seems to be Ireland, the search is very wide, although if there is some family stories indicating a particular county, like Tipperary, then maybe that's the place to start.  All I can think of to do next is to search for baptisms of an Elizabeth Hickey around the right time with a father's name of John  and hope that the mother's name is Ellen (even with a match, there would be no way to be 100% sure it was the right Ellen..)  - could be a bit of a gamble and cost quite a bit to do if you use the IFHF website.

Some other church records not included on the IFHF website are available free at http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/  At the moment this website includes details for county Kerry, and parts of Dublin (City & County) and are planning to add details for Cork City, west county Cork and county Carlow.

Shane
My Surname Interests