Author Topic: Inquest / Coroner Records  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Shep

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Inquest / Coroner Records
« on: Wednesday 14 April 10 23:25 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if the Denbighshire Record Office would have Inquest Records for East Denbighshire (Wrexham / Rossett area) for 1927?
I've looked at Archives for Wales but can't make out whether the records exist or if they do whether they will be in Hawarden or Ruthin. Has anyone had any success with locating inquest records as I believe some are missing?
Thanks
Shepherd, Moran, Bath, Keating, Putt - Chester
Trussell - Flint / West Bromwich
Hughes - Flint / Oakenholt
Challinor / Chaloner - Chester / Wirral / Hawarden / Holt
Reynolds - Chester
Edwards - Rossett / Pulford
Strange - Chester / Shropshire
Bayliss - Rossett / Allington / Pulford

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Inquest / Coroner Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 April 10 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Shep,

I believe that the records for this would be in Ruthin. The Wrexham Local History centre could probably advise you if that is the case.

I understand any records that exist would be closed for 70 years but 1927 should be all right.

Since Rossett is so close to Chester, I think that there is a strong possibility the details would have been reported in one of the Chester local papers. I know the Chester Chronicle and Cheshire Obersver were in existence then. I think there may have been a couple more too. There is also the Wrexham paper which may have covered it.

I looked at these for an inquest on a relative of mine who died in the 1920s and the details in the papers were excellent. The Chester ones can be found in the library in Chester as well as the Record Office.

Jo

Offline Shep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 April 10 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jo,
I found some detail in the Chester Courant (on microfilm at the Chester History and Heritage Centre) at lunchtime today.
I then rang Flintshire RO who referred me to Denbighshire who confirmed they do have the inquests / coroners records for 1927 but the 100 year rule applies.
I then rang the Coroners Office in Wrexham who said if I apply to them in writing, they may grant permission for me to go to Denbighshire and view the record. However, if I want a copy of it then the Record Office have to send it back to the Coroners Office to copy and a fee would probably be payable.
I'll email the Coroners office tomorrow and start the ball rolling ....
Shepherd, Moran, Bath, Keating, Putt - Chester
Trussell - Flint / West Bromwich
Hughes - Flint / Oakenholt
Challinor / Chaloner - Chester / Wirral / Hawarden / Holt
Reynolds - Chester
Edwards - Rossett / Pulford
Strange - Chester / Shropshire
Bayliss - Rossett / Allington / Pulford

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 April 10 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Shep,

My goodness what a performance!

I think it is odd that they have closed the records for 100 years. I did research this for one of mine and am fairly sure that I was told closure for 70 years applied as a rule.

It sounds as if by the time you get them (if you do succeed) it could well be 100 years on ie 2027!

I have an idea that they charge quite a bit for these too.

Jo