Author Topic: Scotlands People - Baptisms  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Scotlands People - Baptisms
« on: Thursday 15 April 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
Pre 1855 you can search the OPR for birth/baptism entries but after 1855 it seems that you can only search the Statutory Birth registers.
Is there anywhere that I might be able to search the baptisms post 1855?
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Scotlands People - Baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 April 10 15:29 BST (UK) »
Aye, but they are (mostly) held in the National Archives of Scotland in Edinburgh. You'll have to visit in person, or commision research.
You can search their catalogue online to see if they have the records for the kirk you're looking for: http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/
Some post-1855 parish records are also held in local archives. If you can't find find the kirk on the NAS catalogue then try the NRAS one ( http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineRegister/ ) and the SCAN one ( http://www.scan.org.uk/catalogue/ ).

I do find post-1855 parish records worth checking as you can learn further details about ancestors from them.
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

See the project website @ ulsterlees.azurewebsites.net

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 April 10 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you, TunjiLees.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 July 16 17:56 BST (UK) »
Pre 1855 you can search the OPR for birth/baptism entries but after 1855 it seems that you can only search the Statutory Birth registers.
Is there anywhere that I might be able to search the baptisms post 1855?

We still cannot access the post 1855 baptisms. This would really help my research.

Are ScotlandsPeople going to make them available?
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 16 19:00 BST (UK) »
As a statutory birth certificate gives the date, time and place of birth, plus the parents' names (including the mother's maiden name), occupations and date and place of marriage along with the name, address and relationship of the informant, it is unlikely that a record of baptism would tell you more.

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 July 16 20:21 BST (UK) »
As a statutory birth certificate gives the date, time and place of birth, plus the parents' names (including the mother's maiden name), occupations and date and place of marriage along with the name, address and relationship of the informant, it is unlikely that a record of baptism would tell you more.

Agreed, they do contain a lot of information. Due to the costs people are not ordering the statutory birth certificates.
I can see massive gaps in research compared to England. People have easier access to the baptism records.
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 July 16 20:31 BST (UK) »
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&1374

Example with image.

Dumfries, St Andrews: Register of Baptisms, 1857-1948. MP54/1/2/1 page 7

On the 1 December 1857, was born and on the 3 January 1858 was baptised, Eliza Joanna Smith, daughter of Thomas Smith and Anna Smith (once McGrath ie, maiden surname) his wife. By me John Strain, Missionary Apostolic. Alexander Scelly, godfather, Joanna Galloway, God mother.

How do I find this on ScotlandsPeople?

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 July 16 21:56 BST (UK) »
 :-\  I'm not quite sure why you would wish to order a statutory birth certificate when you can search for, view, download and save the entry in the statutory register for a total of 6 credits. 

This is far more than can be done in England & Wales.  Baptism records rarely give a birth date and don't give the mother's maiden name in England & Wales.  To get that amount of detail you have to pay for the certificate at £9.25. 

It is often argued that family historians in England and Wales rarely need a certificate, only wanting the information that it contains to enable them to work backwards.

Or have I misunderstood your point?  :(

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 01:06 BST (UK) »
     Re: Eliza Joanna Smith. Suggest you try Catholic Registers of Births & Baptisms on ScotlandsPeople. As 'Little Nell' has already said. No need to 'buy' records on SP. These can be viewed on-line for the cost of 6 Credits.
     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."