Author Topic: lookup request for Watson 1782+  (Read 9580 times)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: lookup request for Watson 1782+
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 April 10 19:21 BST (UK) »
Another article in the Essex Standard, on the appointment of Joseph Yelloly Watson (son of William) as a magistrate, Feb 25 1870,  gives a potted family history, mentions Kyloe in Northumberland so that might be the right area.

..... his great grandfather Joseph Watson of Kyloe, born in 1702..........
William Watson, born in 1732, and eldest son of the above named Joseph Watson of Kyloe, left two sons, 1st William of Adderstone House, born 1757, 2nd John Capt. of the 76th Foot, born in 1759..........
William of Adderstone House, a large government contractor during the war,  married the daughter of Clement Yelloly Esq of Ditchen, Northumberland, a relative of the first Earl of Eldon, and their eldest son William, born in 1782, married in 1815 the youngest daughter and co-heir of the late William Howard Esq.,  of St. Osyth in this county, ...... and their oldest surviving son is Mr J. Yelloly Watson........

Alan.   
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 April 10 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Interesting post.

Just to add, wikipedia also has some info on the Watson family of Adderstone Hall (listed as Hall not House).

Might be of interest.

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline allystree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 April 10 13:04 BST (UK) »
Wow! You are all fantastic! Thankyou

I do have alot of this information.The birthdate I had for one of the Williams' was 1723, and you have supplied 1732.
Thankyou for information about Williams Census and death records. I will try to find his will now.
I would love to see the article about Joseph Y Watson from the Essex Standard, do you know how I can find it?

I am very interested in the war contract. The Watsons were Corn Merchants during the mid 1700s, but I suppose they could have branched out into something else? Perhaps they did supply corn for the War effort.
I wonder what war this was? With Napoleon?

An interesting fact I have is that Clement Yelloly hid Bonnie Prince Charles for a few days in 1745.
Also that a cousin of Joseph Watson (1702) was Rear Admiral Sir Charles Watson, liberator of the survivors Black Hole of Calcutta.
I have recently been sent copies of portraits of William and Dorothy Yelloly Watson which are on display at Cragside House.

I am a descendant of their son John. He was in the army, and settled in Ireland abt 1815.
I would love to find his birthdate after 1782, and the family living at Adderstone at the time.

It is nice to have a branch that is reasonably easy to find out about.
I also have 9 Australian Convict ancestors.

Alison

Offline allystree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 April 10 13:25 BST (UK) »
I know Joseph was b1702 Kyloe, lived at Budle, and is buried at Kyloe, 1778.

His son William b1723/32 was a corn merchant, had a corn mill at Waren (like 2 miles from Budle) and lived at Waren House. The business was called Watson and Son.
His second son John was in the army, and John was the first Watson born at Adderstone, 1760.(died Nottingham 1797, he was the father of Sir William Henry watson, Baron of Exchequer 1796-1860)

His son William b1757 married Dorothy Yelloly 1 Jan 1782 at Belford.
William inherited a considerable fortune from Dorothys brother Adam Yeloly in 1810. Adam lived at Chester Hill.
Williams will states he resides at Berwick-upon-Tweed 1814.

The first William Watson seems to have owned Adderstone House/ Hall, but another family lived there for a time in 1763.
A Watson cousin lived there until 1961.

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 April 10 14:48 BST (UK) »
I get access to search old British newspapers through membership of a library. Its the Gale Cengage site. Not sure if libraries in Australia may have a similar arrangement. If not, PM me your email address and I'll send you pdf's of the articles.
If you google Waren Mill, the Newcastle University site states that most of the current structure was erected in 1783.
"1783 - Admiralty erected mill for Watson in response to farmers' requests for an outlet for their wheat".
The American War of Independance was 1775-1783. We were at war with the French on and off for the next 30 years. If it was erected by the Admiralty, then presumably William Watson had a contract to supply them with grain (or ran the mill on their behalf).
Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 April 10 14:57 BST (UK) »

Just a geographic/administrative snippet.

KYLOE is today in county of Northumberland.
 KELLOE is in County Durham.

There was a time when both were "in/of" County Durham.

The areas of Norhamshire, Bedlingtonshire and Islandshire, although lying within the borders of Northumberland, "belonged" the Bishops of Durham and were collectively referred to as  NORTH DURHAM. ( The first duty of the militia of the area was to Durham, not Northumberland)

The community, township and Parish of KYLOE lay within Islandshire.

In 1844 these enclaves reverted back to Northumberland.  On 1841 census enumerated as County Durham. On 1851 enumerated as Northumberland.
(Although some enumerators continued to complete " Where Born" column as "Kyloe etc Durham")

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline allystree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 March 11 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for all your help.
I purchased some old Northumberland FHS magazines at a little Aussie bush market recently. There was an old article about a diary written by a girl from Bamburgh in 1804. She mentioned "going to the ball in the carriage with Mr and Mrs Watson" She also mentioned going to Chester Hill, (which was the farm owned by Adam Yelloly, my Mrs Watsons brother.) Luckily I was able to contact the writer of the article, and it was indeed my Watson family mentioned in the diary. The lady was kind enough to send me 2 years of very familiar mentions of the Watson family's daily life in 1804 and 1805. (among other things they partied til 3am, 5am and even 8am, then slept all day. They gambled at cards almost daily, they ate pickled tongue for breakfast, and William who settled at St Osyth played the fiddle but was not very good at it)

From the diary I learnt of a son called Yelloly. (actually Joseph Yelloly Watson, a much easier name to research than John Watson, and obviously namesake of the later JYWs)
I have since obtained his application for a cadetship the East India Company Army in 1812 which included handwritten notes of my 5x GGrandfather William Watson stating that public registers (parish records) of his children are non existent "there are none to be found, but from the private register of all his family......"
Now if only I could get my hands on that private family register.

Again thanking you all for your assistance,
Alison

Offline bobber

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 May 11 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Alison,

I am very interested in William Henry Watson (1796-1860), it sounds like you have managed to uncover some of his family tree. Would it be possible to get hold of that information.

many thanks

Offline artichoke

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 September 11 14:56 BST (UK) »
I am researching the life of Joseph Yelloly Watson 1817 born St Osyth, Essex.  He died at The Grange, Thorpe, Essex 18th May 1888.

He was for many years a Mining Agent in the firm of Watson and Cuell, London and was instrumental in setting up a Mining Exchange in London with an associate Thomas Field. 

(Among the many mines in which he had an interest, mostly in Cornwall, was one that interests me - namely North Towy and Cystanog in the Parish of Llangunnor, Carmarthenshire which operated rather unsuccessfully around 1852/56 before being bought by Thomas Field who had a similar lack of success with it around 1859/60 when it operated under the name Cystanog.)   

For his services to Mining Interests in 1859 he was presented with a silver ink stand.  The inkstand, was apparently beautifully decorated with devices of our mineral wealth and on the pedestal was a miner and beneath that the inscription "Presented to Joseph Yelloly Watson Esq FGS as a mark of private esteem and in acknowledgement of his services in advocating the mining interest during the last 20 years". He also received a silver claret jug and two silver goblets to the total value of £120.   Essex Standard 31.08.1859.

Does anyone know what happened to this artifact?

He was a prolific writer being the author of:-

A Compendium of British Mining (for private circulation) 1843
Gleanings among Mines and Miners
Records of Ancient Mining
Cornish Notes
Sketches of Ancient Colchester
The Tendring Hundred in Olden Times

He also wrote for the Essex Standard on foxhunting under the title "In the saddle".
He was also
a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society
 a magistrate for Essex qualifying in 1870.
 a Commissioner for the Tendring Level.
 an ensign in the 16th Essex (Tendring Hundred) Rifle Corps for 5 years
a liberal Unionist
an active member of the Tendring Hundred Horticultural Society.

Question - does anyone out there have a portrait or photograph of him please?????

Does anyone know anything else about him (apart from census entries)?