Author Topic: **COMPLETED**1901 Census Lookup Please - Thomas Allan  (Read 7274 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census Lookup Please - Thomas Allan
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
Ok, I'm there now...over to you MJ. You said in your last post you had census info on Alison and her family...

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
Maybe irrelevant to the present thread but............

Looking at the poorhouse index makes me sure this is Barbara and Mary in 1891 at 29 North Tay Street.

Barbara Allan   49 born Dundee
Mary Allan   18 born France

In 1901 they are at 6 Hawkhill -

Thomas Adam   27
Mary Ellen Adam   29 British Subject, France
Barbara Allan   59
Betsy Allan   55

Which leads to a possible family in 1861 at 163 Seagate -

Robert Allan   46
Janet Allan   42
Barbara Allan   20
Betsey Allan   17
Helen Allan   14
Margt Allan   12
David Allan   9
Christian Allan   7
Thos Allan   2

Regards,
Nel

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 23:38 BST (UK) »
Thomas and Alison had the following children - I just don't know when and where they were born.

Janet b. 1894 Edinburgh

From previous post

EASTON: George b. 1916 at 60 Annefield Road, Dundee (my grandfather)
ALLAN: Janet   b. 1894 Dundee (my g grandmother)
father: ALLAN, Thomas b. Feb 1876  d. 1915
married 1893 District St Mary, Diocese of Dunkeld, Dundee, Angus
mother: LEES, Alison Hunter b. 2 May 1874 Edinburgh

ALLAN, Thomas was the son of Barbra/Barbara ALLAN and ?
On his marriage certificate only the name of his mother is given.
Commonwealth War Graves Military record shows he died in 1915 (WWI) "is the son of the late Barbra Allan; husband of Alison Allan of 60 Annefield Road, Dundee

Everything centres around the Annefield Rd address and that is where unmarried Thomas Allan was living with his aunt Agnes in 1891 and 1901
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline omap

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 01:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help with this everyone.

Carole, Monica and Cookie:

What I know for sure is the following:

I have Thomas Allan and Alison Hunter Lees marriage certificate and it states only Thomas' mother's name (Barbara Allan) as parent, no father entered.  They were married at St. Mary Magdalene Church, Dundee after Publication according to the Forms of the Scottish Episcopal Church.  At the time of the marriage both Thomas and Alison give their adress as 51 Withies Lane, Dundee. 

I know that Thomas and Alison did at one time live at 60 Annfield Lane or Road(?), Dundee.  When Thomas was killed in WWI in 1915 (I have his military record) his mother Barbara was deceased and his wife, Alison's address was 60 Annfield Road, Dundee.

When Thomas & Alison's daughter Janet Allan married in 1916 to George Easton they both give their address as 60 Annfield Road (I have their marriage certificate as well).  Janet and George had two kids in Scotland (my grandfather being the first) born at 60 Annfield Road, Dundee (according to my grandfather's birth certificate which I have).

In 1876 Dundee East Poorhouse Register I found Barbara Allan, age 33, and her two children, Mary Allan 57 months and her son, Thomas Allan, Age 4 months , admission date 15 June 1876. 

On the 1881 Census there is a Barbara Allan age 38 and her son Thomas Allan age 5 (no Mary) living as boarders at 4 James St. Dundee (thanks to your help)  I was unable to locate Mary Allan in 1881.

Next I have in 1891 Thomas Allan, age 15, living with Aunt Agnes Allan, age 40, at 60 Annfield Road, St. Peter, Liff & Benvie. 

If Barbara and Mary Allan are showing up on the 1891 Poorhouse Index living at 29 Tay St. could it be that they are living together and Thomas went for some reason  to live with his Aunt?  This Barbara and Mary are the right ages to m ine. Is there any way of finding any further information on people registering in the Poorhouse?  Like birthplaces, etc?

In 1901 Agnes Allan and nephew Thomas Allan are still living at 60 Annfield Road, but there is no Alison.  I know that my great grandmother was born in Edinburgh and I believe that Alison went to Edinburgh to her mother's to have her baby. My greatgrandmother was born in 1894.

What is really confusing is the Thomas Allan, wife Alison with two kids John and Isabella living at 91 Cumberland St. in Glasgow in 1901.  The family names are all the same as mine but the age groups are a year or two off as are the birthplaces of Thomas and Alison which are not the same as on other censuses.  Also Thomas could not have been on two censuses at once I would think.

I think I have hit a brick wall again!! I don't know anything about Barbara Allan and her family.

I really want to thank all of you for your help in trying to find this family.  This has been my brick wall for almost 20 years and I only just found out what information I have only this past month or so.  My sister went to Scotland in 1981 to visit Thomas and Alison's daughter, Mary Allan Lorimer, and gathered my great grandmother (Mary's sister), Janet's siblings names at that time.
Dalkeith, SCT: Lees, Waldie
Kirkcaldy, SCT: Cook, Easton
Edinburgh, SCT: Lees, Waldie, Hunter, Allan, Easton
St Cuthbert, SCT: Lees, Waldie
Dundee, SCT: Allan, Lees, Easton, Boyd
Kilsyth, SCT: Boyd
Buittle, SCT: Easton
Glasgow, SCT: Easton
Ontario, CANADA: Oliver
Saskatchewan, CANADA: Easton, Gee, Oliver, Prutton
Hertfordshire, ENG: Prutton

Offline omap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 02:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry....I was trying so hard to keep all those thoughts in my head and refer to my documents I neglected to mention Thomas Allan and Alison Hunter Lees marriage date...... they were married 20 Oct 1893 at St Mary Magdalene's Church, Dundee.  On the marriage certificate Thomas is 17 yrs old and Alison is 18 yrs old.

They were married after the 1891 Census and 8 years before the 1901 Census.  I suspect, but do not know for certain, that my great grandmother, Janet Allan was their first child.  She was born 11 Feb 1894 in Edinburgh. 

I have Alison, age 16, living with her parents, Oliver and Janet/Jennette Lees at 10 Rae's Close, 281 Canongate, Edinburgh.   

MJ

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi MJ

Not sure if that family in 1901 with parents Thomas and Alison are the same as your family. Occupation and place of birth for Thomas father doesn't match what you have for your Thomas.

You say you have Thomas Allan's military papers, who went on to die in 1915 (WW1). These papers normally show names of children and birth years, have you checked for this info on the papers you have?

Monica

Added: I've had a look on Ancestry's military section and can't see any service papers for him unfortunately. The only thing that I can see, that you have referred to already, is from www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=823318 which includes:

Son of the late Barbra Allan; husband of Alison Allan, of 60, Ann Field Rd., Dundee

Offline cookies4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
I agree with MonicaLesl that is not your Thomas at Glasgow in 1901 as that one can be easily found with his parents in 1891.

So either Thomas and Alison were out of the country on census night or they have just been missed.

Barbara made 3 applications to the poorhouse -  1 with Thomas when he was just 2 weeks old on 22nd February 1876. The other 2 were with Thomas and Mary on 15th June 1876 and 13th February 1877. Have you ever contacted the FDCA regarding these applications in case there is any info about the children's birthplaces? This info may help to confirm Mary born at France is Thomas's sister.

Have you looked at the 2 Thomas Allan births at St Andrew, Dundee in 1876 as this is the district Barbara nd Thomas were in 1881?

And just one more - Oliver Lees Allan was born at St Peter's in 1909.

Regards,
Nel

Offline omap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 April 10 03:43 BST (UK) »
Nel:

Thanks for those added entries for Barbara Allan in the Poorhouse.  Are they all for the Dundee East Poorhouse?  or did she register for different ones?

Also thanks for Oliver Lees Allan's birth.... where did you find it?  Was it an online searchable site?

Also where do I go to do a further search on the two Thomas Allan births you mention at St Andrew in 1876?

Monica:

The military record I have is the same one you found on cwgc.org....and no it doesn't say anything about children.  I don't know where to go to find out more about his military record in Scotland.  I live in Canada.  Is there a site searchable on line for military records in Scotland?

Thanks again for your help you wonderful people!! 

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 April 10 09:00 BST (UK) »
The subscription site Ancestry have been loading on images of available service records for WW1, although a number were destroyed in a fire during WW2. I have checked but unfortunately couldn't see an entry for your Thomas.

Monica