Author Topic: Samuel family in Merthyr, Aberdare, Llanelly and Swansea  (Read 8840 times)

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel family in Merthyr, Aberdare, Llanelly and Swansea
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 April 05 17:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, my Samuels were from the Pontyberem, Five Roads areas of Llanelly. David Samuel was born in 1832, the son of Thomas Samuel born 1806 and Ruth Walters b1806. His grandfather was Edward Samuel. David's brothers were William 1835 and Thomas 1830. In 1841 the family lived at Ffynonymemyn farm and in 1851 at Glynsylen farm. He married Margaret Thomas on 24/2/1854 at St Johns Pontyberem. In 1861 they were at Penyrheol farm. by 1871 they were at Caepontpren farm. They are buried at Bethesda chapel Pontyberem.
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 April 05 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
You mentioned ponyberem . On my grt grt grandfather Edwin Samuel's notes from the mormon church which were not very clear St Johns Pontyberem Abertawe were down as his birthplace. I do not know where this area is but the rest of his family were near Capel Newydd Llanelly. edwin was born in 1831/2.
When he moved to Aberdare he seemed to be surrounded by other Samuel's from LlANELLY.
I hAVE noted your family names and will see if I can find a connection.
Samuel, Edwards,Watkins,Phillips, Martin, Phelps,Harries,Jones,Evans,Davies,Edmunds,Rowlands,Meredith,Ray,Griffiths,Lewis,Francis,Hale,Harris,Emanuel,Taylor,Pocket,Nicholas,

Offline Laineyglos

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 March 19 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have just seen this post and Thomas and Ruth Samuel are my ggg grandparents. My family line is through their son Thomas (brother of David) and his son Thomas (b 1869) who married Sarah Ann Griffiths at the Sion Chapel Pontyberem in 1896. My grandfather David (although he used the name Gwyn) was one of five and I believe the four brothers and Thomas all worked down the mine. I believe Thomas (great grandad) went on to farm at Capel Iwan and left the farm to my great aunt Lil.