Author Topic: McCarty - John and Malachi  (Read 2958 times)

Offline maggiepeg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCarty - John and Malachi
« on: Tuesday 27 April 10 11:15 BST (UK) »
My Gt Gt Grandfather John McCarty went to Birmingham England from Ireland some time between his birth c1815 and his first marriage in 1838. His father
was either Malachi McCarty or Loughlin McCarty c1789.  All the English census's have John born in Ireland, one has Dublin Ireland, so there is where I have to
start my search for my Irish family. John was married twice in England.  I have both marriage certificates and have traced his life through census records and many children from both marriages.  What is confusing is that on Johns first marriage certificate (to Maria Barton in 1838) his father is Loughlin McCarty and on the second marriage certificate (to Emily Pratt in 1850) his father is Malachi McCarty.  What I desperately need is a birth record of John, which I believe can only be obtained from church records.  If there is anyone out there that can help with my search I would love to hear from you. 

I intend to visit Dublin this year so any help with how to get this information would be greatly appreciated.
McCarty (also known as Carter) Birmingham and Ireland . Griffin Birmingham and Gloucestershire UK.  Dainter Birmingham UK.  Gauntlett Birmingham, Devon, Herefordshire UK and Canada.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John and Malachi McCarty
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 11:35 BST (UK) »
Do you know any other details on the McCarthy family - e.g. trade/occupation or what part of Dublin City or County they came from ?

Some church records for parts of Dublin city and county are available (free)  on http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/  (note : some of the Christian names are recorded in latin, and not all early records survive)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline maggiepeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McCarty - John and Malachi
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane
The only other information I have is that John was a 'Slater' by trade.  This is on both marriage certificates and also all the census's.
McCarty (also known as Carter) Birmingham and Ireland . Griffin Birmingham and Gloucestershire UK.  Dainter Birmingham UK.  Gauntlett Birmingham, Devon, Herefordshire UK and Canada.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 11:49 BST (UK) »
There are quite a number of parishes in Dublin City and county and if John is not listed on the IrishGenealogy site finding him without knowing more details on where in Dublin they lived could be difficult.

One detail that may help focus the search would be to establish the family religion - maybe from details of a later marriage ...

Some other church records for Dublin, mostly county areas, are included on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.irish-roots.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline maggiepeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane

My ancestors haven't made it easy for me.  Johns first marriage to Maria was at St Chads RC Church in Birmingham UK and his second marriage to Emily was at St Peter and St Pauls Church which is Church of England.  So I would think that John would have followed the Roman Catholic faith while in Ireland.  What do you think?

Really appreciate your thoughts.

Maggie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 10:01 BST (UK) »
Since John's marriages were in both RC and CofE churches it doesn't really narrow things down for your search, but since the majority of the population in Ireland would have been Catholic I would probably start with that faith.

The main problems with your search are that McCarthy is a quite common surname, and there is no clue as to where John and his family came from in Dublin. Dublin had a large population even in the 1830s (was the fifth largest European city at one stage) and there are quite a number of City and county parishes - some of these parishes do not have surviving records old enough to include John's birth.

see :  County Dublin RC Parish maps   Dublin City RC records  (Irish Times)

I wonder if Malachi / Loughlin on the marriage certs could be a mis-hearing or if Malachi was his father's official name and he was known as Loughlin. I dopnt know the origins of Malachi but think I may have seen it mentioned on RC baptism registers as a latin christian name..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline maggiepeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane
Thanks for that.  I now have a list of Roman Catholic Parish Registers and their record dates.  As we are currently planning a trip to Dublin, my first stop will be The National Library of Ireland.  In the meantime I will keep checking internet sites.  I am a member of Ancestry.com and have found Johns descendants and a possible brother, James b. 1829, also a 'Slater' by trade.  So I will also check out James and see where that leads me before I get to Dublin.

Thank you so much for all the information and sites to visit, very much appreciated. 

Maggie

Offline billiemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 February 17 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maggie,

my name is Sandra Penfold (nee McCarty) and John McCarty was also my Gt Gt (Gt?) grandfather so we must be related.
I was amazed to find this site because your blog has given me so much more information than I had. I had given up tracing the tree any further since I was not having much luck and my time was limited.

Offline billiemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie,
Thanks for your private message. This was so informative.
I cant reply as yet because I have to do 3 posts and this is my second.

Sandra