Author Topic: MOSTLY COMPLETED Seeking Fanny Rothwell  (Read 4536 times)

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
MOSTLY COMPLETED Seeking Fanny Rothwell
« on: Wednesday 28 April 10 15:40 BST (UK) »
Here's what I know about her (my GGrandmother).  Born 10 June 1860 (where?)  Married Henry Jepson (actually born John Wilcock!) in Methodist Episcopal Church, Bombay, India 20 Mar 1879.  He was military.  5 children - Henry Rothwell, Frederick (my grandfather), Eliza Ellen, John Alfred and Augusta Sarah.  Died 14 jul 1891 in Tasmania of tuberculosis.  Family lore says Fanny was a cousin of Henry's.  Henry was born in Hulme and I'm thinking Fanny is from Lancashire as well.  Does Fanny strike a chord with anyone? 
Lancashire, Yorkshire, India: Jepson, Rothwell, Wilcock,
Dumfries, Ontario, BC: Walker, Laidlaw, Lorimer
Devonshire: Bullen
Durham: Lomas, Hodge
Northumberland: Henderson
Berwickshire: Buglass, Renton

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Fanny Rothwell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 15:46 BST (UK) »
There is no birth for a Fanny (or a Frances) Rothwell in 1860 exactly, though there are several in years to either side.

What is the source of that date of birth?

When she marries, do you have a cert? Does that give a fathers name for her?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 16:54 BST (UK) »
The source of her birthdate is probably on the back of a photo or in a family bible.  At this point I've forgotten exactly how I came upon it as I wrote the date down when I was just getting started, probably about 10 years ago and wasn't being as careful of data as I am now..  So it could be another date.  I've often thought 19 was young for heading off to India (if she wasn't born there) to get married! 

The marriage I found on India Office, but I have a wedding photo and I had the date before then.  There was no father listed.  I corresponded with someone at India Office hoping there would be other data, but no luck.  Just the bare minimum.

Two of her sons (Henry Rothwell and John Alfred) had names that harkened back to her husband.  I wondered if Frederick (my grandfather) might hint to her side.  No middle name has been found for Frederick.  Henry's parents were John Wilcock and Eliza (Jepson) and a daughter was Eliza Ellen.  Augusta Sarah might point to Fanny's side also.  I did find a Frederick Rothwell marrying a Sarah Jane Platt around the right time (1854 in Manchester) but so far haven't been able to tie them to Fanny

Thanks for your interest, lizlb.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 April 10 07:46 BST (UK) »
that`s a little problem the name being Fanny....as we don`t know if it`s a nickname or her real name...have you looked for Fanny Rothwell on the 1861 or 1871 census returns ??
I`ve had a look on lan-opc and there are no babtisms /births for Fanny Rothwell 1858-1862....2 possibles in my eyes ...(being a man I thought of Fanny as maybe a nickname for Ann)

Babtism of Anna Maria Rothwell    daughter of Thomas Rothwell and Harriet
feb 8th 1860 Holy Trinity , Bolton Lancs
fathers occ Joiner
abode  spring gardens

babtism of Ann Rothwell   child of James and Ann Rothwell
babtised 21 April 1861 atAll Saints ,Hindley , Lancashire
born 19th Dec 1860
fathers occ collier
abode Bridge Street
as I say ...2 possible but couldn`t find Fanny Rothwell during that 4 year period 1858-1862
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 April 10 13:43 BST (UK) »
It's quite a hopeless cause, isn't it?  I, too, haven't found an appropriate Fanny or Frances in the census documents.  My father and his siblings remember a few visits from Rothwell relatives when they were little - One was in the merchant marines - but have totally forgotten where they might have come from.  My mother said during WWII she and my father visited a Rothwell in Glasgow, but that was all she could remember.  I also looked into the possibility that Fanny was born/living in India and did find some Rothwells in India Office but none that fit the bill.

Approaching it from an Ann aspect is a good one.  I'll have to look into that.  Are there other names Fanny could come from?  Frances, Ann - anything else?

Offline Louisamay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 April 10 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Puzzlnut,

This is probably a silly question, but are you the      English family tree on Roots, with Jepson info.
Unfortunately not much about Fanny

Appologies if  a waste of time.

Best wishes
Anne

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 April 10 21:00 BST (UK) »

OK - this has kept me amused all afternoon but I think I have found some possible for you

I will go through it bit at a time if you will bare with me    :D

I checked Fibis to see what Rothwell reocords they had and I was struck by the marriage of Augusta
Rothwell to Arthur Coghlan at the same sort of time as Fannys to Henry,  given that you pointed out the name Augusta
might be significant - not a common name I agree.

I checked Free BMD
the only reasonable birth reg I can see is

Births Sep 1866   
Rothwell  Augusta     Barnsley  9c 130

There were several Rothwell baptisms in the Barnsley reg dist around this time
which looked as though they could belong to the same family, including the names Amelia, Alice, Arther and William Henry
which rang bells from things I had seen in the Indian reocrds on th Fibis ssite

I found Augusta - who is now calling herself Augusta 'Sarah' Coghlan with her husband Arthur John in the 1901 census back in England

the childrens name included
Amelia Augusta
Sarah Alice
Arthur James
Fanny Louise
William Henry

(I am so likeing these names)   :D

Augusta is giving her place of birth as Monk Bretton Yorkshire,  however try as I might I couldn't find the family there in 1861 (I still don't know where they were)

Eventually back on the fibis site I found a newspaper report of the marriage in 1869 of Alice Rothwell to William Haire - significantly it gave her as
the 2nd daughter of the late armourer Srgt Joseph Rothwell of the Royal Artillery.

Then I got lucky with the census searching for Joseph Rothwell    ;D

1851 Monk Bretton

107/2332 Fo 712 P5

Thomas Siddon     55 born yorks greensbury
Emma Siddon    53
Thomas Siddon    15
Edward Siddon    12
Joseph Rothwell s-i-l   18 born Yorks Ardsley
Sarah Rothwell    dau 21 born Yorks Cawthorne

It says Siddon but could be Seddon,  having read some of your previous posts I thought this significant

In 1861 Emma is a widow but in her household is a 10month old grandaughter Fanny (born worsborough) - the surname
given is Seddon,  but could this be a mistake?

From Free BMd

Marriages Mar 1851   

2 of the options are

Rothwell  Joseph     Barnsley  22 10   
Seddon  Sarah     Barnsley  22 10   

A couple of connected census transcripts

1841 monks Bretton

Michael Rothwell bleacher   45
Maria Rothwell    40
Joseph Rothwell    8
Jane Rothwell    3

1851 Monks Bretton

Maria Rothwell     54
Thomas Rothwell    21
Jane Rothwell    12
Henry Rothwell    9
Mary Martin    40

- not complete be a long chalk and I think you will need some certificates to be sure,  but something to think on.

:)

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 April 10 21:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry reading that back through I didn't make it clear

I suspect Fanny is one of the children of Joseph and Sarah (nee Seddon) and that the whole family lived out in India from about 1861 onwards.

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 April 10 21:52 BST (UK) »
DebbieG I think you have found something very significant!  After Fanny's death, Henry remarried to Ellen Ford.  My aunt told me that Ellen was a cousin as well (as Fanny).  And the significant thing is that Ellen's mother's maiden name is Seddon!  So now I have to sit down and properly digest all of the information you've given me.  I can't thank you enough - I'd quite given up on Fanny!