Author Topic: birth, Andrew Finlayson  (Read 3740 times)

Offline viking57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
birth, Andrew Finlayson
« on: Thursday 29 April 10 05:24 BST (UK) »
Looking for the birth of Andrew FINLAYSON whose was born in Scotland about 1820.
Father is Robert FINLAYSON but not the Robert who married Margaret WHYTE in Dunblane.
Andrew married Sarah MARSHALL in London in 1840 then emigrated to Australia in 1842.
Andrew added Hunter as his 2nd name, whether he was christened with this name we don't know, when he married Emily Drake in Hobart, Tasmania, Aust in 1874.
Newspaper notice for this said he was the 6th son of Robert FINLAYSON of Scotland

Hope you can help
England; Ford, Ling (Suffolk & Norfolk) Barker, Dove, Elmer, Robins, Thurlow, Yaxley (Norfolk) Blower, Titley,  (Shropshire & Essex), Pollard (Cornwall), Speight (Yorkshire), Nevell (Oxfordshire)
Scotland; Callander (Falkirk), Finlayson,  Dick (Lanarkshire), Carmichael
Ireland; Nowlan, Carmichael
Also all above names in Tasmania, Australia
Alderson, Blair, Burston, Crawford, Windsor (Tasmania, Aust)

Offline kerry1212

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: birth, Andrew Finlayson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 April 10 09:07 BST (UK) »
there is a andrew finlayson on the 1871 census with robert and margaret, robert was born Ardoch, Perthshire and margaret born muthill perthshire, andrew was born ardoch

they are living at Smithytown Balhaldie

kerry
tustin,harrison,blizzard,bradshaw

warwickshire birmingham staffs

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 April 10 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

I don't think it's the right one

Andrew was in London in 1840 and emigrated to Australia in 1842:

Andrew married Sarah MARSHALL in London in 1840 then emigrated to Australia in 1842.

I did start looking this morning. Will have another try

Gadget

Added - just seen this thread -

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,354882.0.html

Will read through
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline viking57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 April 10 13:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget and Kerry,
The thread you mention was from me a couple of years ago and I have been talking to Kay, who is also looking for Andrew's birth and parents, a couple of months ago and we still haven't been able to verify his birth date, hence the post again this time.

Garry
England; Ford, Ling (Suffolk & Norfolk) Barker, Dove, Elmer, Robins, Thurlow, Yaxley (Norfolk) Blower, Titley,  (Shropshire & Essex), Pollard (Cornwall), Speight (Yorkshire), Nevell (Oxfordshire)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 April 10 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Garry

Can you confirm that he married in London in1840 and left for Australia in 1842?  There seems to be a bit of confusion on the various links as to which Robert he belonged to  :-\

Also, have you found them in the 1841 census?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline viking57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 April 10 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
That's one of the problems, we don't know which Robert he belongs to.   :(

We only know that it wasn't Robert Finlayson who married Margaret Whyte in Dunblane as their Andrew never married and lived with them all his life as per the 1871 census and contact with that family.
The common belief was that this was his family and it shows up on numerous websites.

We have confirmation that he married Sarah Marshall in London in 1840 and arrived in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia on 4th July 1842 aboard the Orleana.

I haven't found them on the 1841 census

Garry

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 April 10 14:25 BST (UK) »
I don't see them on the 1841 either and as he was a gardener, they could have moved outside of London.

I've just been looking at the marriage entry. They are both 'of full age' and he and his father are both down as gardeners. The Dunblane Robert was a 'Wright' on the 1841. I don't see any Robert Finlayson's on the 1841 who are gardeners. I might have missed one I suppose  :-\

The alternative is that Andrew was not telling the full truth about his parentage and Robert's name and/or occupation was made up. I have this in my own family and have seen many instances of it.

Where do you get his  date of birth as circa 1822 from?

Also, what were their children's names?

Gadget

Offline viking57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 April 10 15:05 BST (UK) »
We got his birth year from when he married for a second time in 1874, the report in the local paper "the Mercury" says he was 53 and that he was the sixth son of Robert Finlayson, a gardener of Craig House near Edinburgh.
Been through the Craig House side of things.

When arriving in Tasmania the immigration office states he was 27 years old, making a birth year about 1815, and Sarah was 24.
I am pretty sure he has lied about his age when getting married, possibly both times.
I doubt we will be able to verify his family, but we keep looking something may turn up at some stage.

Thanks for your assistance Gadget

Garry

Offline viking57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 April 10 15:10 BST (UK) »
His children to Sarah Marshall are Andrew Robert, Walter, Ellen, Elizabeth Ann, Sarah,
and to Emily Drake, his second wife after Sarah died are, Lillian Elizabeth Ellen, Emiline Mary, Harold David Hunter, Minna Lavina Lord, Millicent Maria Aubin, Ruth Margaret Eliza, Jean Vivian Hunter.
Andrew's second name Hunter did not appear anywhere from what I have looked at until he was marrying a second time, made me think his mother's maiden name may have been Hunter. 

Garry