Author Topic: Help with translation from French, please  (Read 1054 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Help with translation from French, please
« on: Saturday 01 May 10 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
My cousin and I have recently received a document from the archives in Brest, relating to our gg/ggg grandfather Joseph Ingram, who was a teacher of English at the naval school there (the College Joinville) in the 1840s.
It's handwritten, and I've transcribed it as best I can, and with the help of Google Translate and my schoolgirl French have translated it, but not very well.  I get the general gist of it (he asked for, and got, a payrise) but if someone can help to make it "read" a bit more elegantly, I'd be very grateful!  Apologies that I haven't put in any accents, but to be honest they are not particularly evident in the original - I hope you can make sense of it nevertheless...

Thanks in advance

Prue

ORIGINAL
Le President communique une lettre de M. Ingram, maitre d'Anglais, qui se fonde sur ce qu'il donne 15 heures de classe, par semaine, aux eleves du college, pour demander que son traitement sois eleve de mille a quinze cents francs, chiffre de a lui de maitre d'Anglais du College de l'orient, ainsi que le prouve une lettre du principal de ce college, mise sous les yeux du bureau.

Le Bureau
Considerant que lorsque le traitement de M. Ingram fut porte a mille francs, il ne consacrait au College que 9 heures de classe par semaine; que l'accroissement considerable qu'ont pris le cours qu'il dirige, exige qu'il a consacre actuellement quinze heures, non compris le temps que reclament, et la correction des compositions et la preparation des devoires; que par suite son travail est double.

Vu d'ailleurs, le rapport favorable de M le Principal, sur la maniere dont ce fonctionnaire dirige ses cours, et appreciant toute l'importance de l'etude de la langue anglaise, le bureau trouve fondee la demande d'augmentation formee par M. Ingram, et propose de porter son traitement a quatorze cents francs, a Partir de 1er janvier 1844.

MY TRANSLATION

The President presented a letter from Mr. Ingram, Master of English, stating that he gives 15 hours of classes per week for students of the college, and asking that his salary be increased from one thousand to fifteen hundred francs, a figure paid to the master of English in the College in the east, as evidenced by a letter from the principal of this college, put in front of the Bureau.

Bureau

Whereas the salary for Mr. Ingram was a thousand francs, when he spent only nine hours per week at the College in classes.  He has been increasing the specificity of the courses he runs, and insists he devotes currently fifteen hours, not including the time reclaimed (?), and correcting compositions and the preparation of homework, and that consequently his work is twofold.

Seen elsewhere, the report supports M. le Principal on the manner in which such officer is directing his course, and appreciating the importance of the study of English, the Bureau is finds that the application for increase formed by M . Ingram is founded, and proposes to increase his salary to fourteen hundred francs, starting from 1 January 1844.

Online Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with translation from French, please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 May 10 11:55 BST (UK) »
Here's my attempt.

The President presented a letter from Mr. Ingram, Master of English, stating that he gives 15 hours of classes per week for students of the college, and asking that his salary be increased from one thousand to fifteen hundred francs, a figure paid to the master of English in the College in the east, as evidenced by a letter from the principal of this college, put in front of the Bureau.

Bureau
Whereas the salary for Mr. Ingram was a thousand francs, he spent only nine hours per week at the College in classes.  The increasing content of the courses he runs has required that he actually devote 15hrs, not including the time spent teaching, or the time needed to correct essays and prepare homework. As a result he does twice as much work.

Also taking into acount the favourable report from  M. le Principal on the manner in which this officer(employee?) conducts (runs) his course, and appreciating the importance of the study of English, the Bureau finds that M. Ingram’s application for a pay rise is well-founded, and proposes to increase his salary to fourteen hundred francs, starting from 1 January 1844.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 May 10 12:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Isabel, that's exactly the kind of thing I was after - much more readable than my own attempt!

I really appreciate you taking the time to work through it  :)

Many thanks again

Cheers
Prue

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 May 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
oh well done Isabel that reads much better than my attempt .. thank you so much.
& thank you Cuz for posting the thread... mmmm I am now wondering what the exchange rate of the Franc to the £ was in 1843/4????

Cal  8)
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales