Author Topic: Andrew Clark born Glasgow - enlisted in Australia  (Read 4716 times)

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
Andrew Clark born Glasgow - enlisted in Australia
« on: Wednesday 05 May 10 05:11 BST (UK) »

Hi everyone,

need some help with Andrew. He was born 1894 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, parents Andrew and Joanna. They are on the 1901 Census ED 68, Page 9, Line 6.

In 1915 he enlisted in the Australian Army and died in 1918. (none of the papers on naa shows date of birth)

Is ist possible to find his birth date, mother's maiden name and when they migrated to Australia?

Peonie

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Clark born Glasgow - enlisted in Australia
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 06:12 BST (UK) »
I think this could be them coming to Australia.  Did he join up in Queensland?

Ship: Everton Grange
Port of Arrival: Brisabne
Deapted: Glasgow
date arrived: 30/01/1911

There are 2 Andrews (year of birth 1894 & 1871) and one Joan (year of birth 1876).

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 06:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you mosher,

he enlisted in Brisbane. Date of birth for Andrew sen. 1865 and the mother 1871 (1901 Census). It is possible there was other family with them. Brother Joseph and wife Christine also came to Brisbane.

Peonie

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 06:32 BST (UK) »
It's a bit hard cos you can't see the acutal passenger list, but scanning through following pages of Clarks, there is a James on the same journey - yob 1898.  Couldn't find a Joseph. 

I don't know if you can access the passenger list through Queensland public records?  This was on A.......y.

Mosher

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 06:46 BST (UK) »
James is another child of Andrew sen. On the census his age was the same as Andrew jun.

I have an subscription to ancestry, but absolutely no experience with searches in Australia. Find my way around the naa, but that's all.

Thanks again,
Peonie

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Peonie,

Andrew Clark was born March 17th 1892 at 314 Great Eastern Road, Glasgow. He was the son of Andrew Clark, a warehouse packer and Joanna Clark m.s. [maiden surname] Dunn. They married June 12th 1891 in Glasgow. The birth was registered by father on April 6th at Glasgow.

The 1901 census does confirm an earlier birthdate for Andrew jnr.

hume :)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 11:23 BST (UK) »
According to the parents' marriage certificate, they indeed marry June 12th 1891 at 4 Broompark Terrace, according to the forms of the Free Church.

Andrew was 33, a warehouse packer and staying at 96 Gray Street, Glasgow. His parents were Andrew Clark, brass finisher (deceased) and Margaret Clark m.s. McCulloch.

Joanna was 31, a mantle worker and staying at 314 Great Eastern Road. Her parents were James Dunn, wood merchant and Ellen Dunn m.s. Hamilton.

They were married by John Hanson, minister, and witnesses were Joseph and Christina Clark.

hume :)

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 13:48 BST (UK) »

Thank you very much hume. My friend will be thrilled when I tell her the good news.  :) :)

I didn't  know Scottish records are so detailed. Wish I would be so lucky with my Welsh records.

Regards Peonie

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 14:07 BST (UK) »
Oh me too Peonie!  I am having to find a Jones who married a Price!  With names like David, Thomas & Elizabeth, it is a nightmare!  Why didn't they think to call their kids unusual names so we could find them?