Author Topic: Doyle Family, Bramblestown, Kilkenny  (Read 4154 times)

Offline Caliandris

• RootsChat Extra
  • My great grandmother, Lottie Dickins
    • View Profile
Doyle Family, Bramblestown, Kilkenny
« on: Friday 07 May 10 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I suddenly found details for my 4greats grandmother, Margaret Doyle, born 1786, which indicate that she was a granddaughter of Charles Doyle of Bramblestown, as she was the niece of Sir John Doyle, Lieutenant Governor of Guernsey.  Charles Doyle had six sons and one daughter, Catherine, (who married a Reverend Bushe) and so I assume she must be the daughter of one of the six sons.

Annoyingly, someone did a family history in which they only mentioned the sons of the family - girls were mentioned as also-rans:  "...and three daughters" or "...and three sisters".

The family seems to have been very immersed in the Army as there are a lot of soldiers - six Major Generals in the course of a century.

I don't even know if Margaret Doyle was born in Ireland.  She married in London, having reputedly eloped from her boarding school, although there is no mention of her having been a minor in the banns for her marriage to my 4greats grandfather, Charles Jearrad.

There is something decidedly odd about the family set up, as Charles Jearrad married Margaret Doyle in 1800, and then someone else in 1808 - although Margaret didn't die until 1817.  He then remarried the person he married in 1808, after his first wife's death.

Jearrad is a very unusual name, associated with only one family, all related to each other.  It was definitely the same Jearrad which was married to Margaret Doyle in 1800 and to Letitia Nash in 1808 and 1817.  There were children born to Charles Jearrad before 1817 which I assigned to Margaret Doyle, and which may have to be assigned to Letitia Nash in the light of the information of the bigamous marriage in 1808, and the release of parish records which show Letitia as the mother.  In one case the same child, with the same birthdate, appears to have been baptised three times... something I have never come across before.

I can't seem to find any information about daughters of the Doyle sons from Bramblestown, Kilkenny.  Any suggestions, or information, gratefully received.
Thanks!
Fee
Spivey, Hughes, Jones Carmarthen 19th c
Spivey, Armitage in Almondbury, Yorkshire 18th c
Dickins Staffordshire and Birmingham 18th and 19th c
Aldridge, Robey, Jearrad in London 18th and 19th
Pitt and Westlake Devon 17th and 18th c
Earwaker London and Hampshire 18th and 19th
Fitzpatrick in The Rower, Kilkenny, Ireland
Clarke, Hewitt, Starkey, Green in Cheshire 19th and 20th