Author Topic: Epsom photographs  (Read 10475 times)

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Epsom photographs
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 June 11 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Scobie

I am currently transcribing Epsom Cemetery Burial Registers from 1946 (earlier years are now on line) and the following appears:

Buried 7 June 1949 Henry Joseph Augustus Collis aged 65, retired,  of 2 Portland Palce, Lintons Lane, Epsom, Grave No A611.

Brian

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 June 11 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

This doesn't help find nonsuch cottages I'm afraid but did you know that Surrey Council have a great interactive map..   You can out in address and/or postcode and it brings up a map which plots the size and shape of individual houses with their numbers. But the best thing is when the house just has a name instead of a number - it tells you which house is which. 

Some houses change their names over the years unfortunately but it is definitely worth a look if you just have a house name, or you want to see more about the layout of a street. 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0dk4/

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yscollis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 May 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Scobie
Not sure if you are still on this site but I found your posts while looking for Nonsuch Cottages - now Portland place.
you were saying that James Collis was your Grand father - well he was my Great Uncle. His brother Henry was my grand father... so I suppose that makes us second cousins. Anyway, if you are still on this site it would be great to hear from you and see how far you have got with your family tree. I may be able to fill in some gaps.  :D

Yvonne

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Yvonne.
Great to hear from you. I didn't think I would ever be in contact any other 'Collis' family members.
I may well have some information of use to you, perhaps the odd photograph. And quite likely, you are in a position to do the same for me. I would suggest you send me a private message on Rootschat and we can move forward from there.
Regards,
Scobie

Offline yscollis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Scobie
As I am a new member to rootschat I apparently have to make 3 postings before I can send a private message  :(  so bare with me while I fill in my quota. In the meantime I am still finding my way round this site. Suffice to say there are still a few of the collis family around.
Will message you soon.

Yvonne

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Yvonne. Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

While you are waiting for Scobie to respond you could reply to this and then you will have your three posts.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stuju

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 July 15 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi to all in Surrey.
                 I do not know if the properties still exist as my grandfather, James Collis, lived in them at the period of World War 1. If they do however, would it be possible for some kind soul to email me photographs of
                     2 Nonsuch Cottages, Linton's Lane, Epsom
and           112 Lower Court Road, Epsom
                           Many thanks for looking at this post.
                                             Regards,
                                                   Scobie

Hi, i have photos of a property at lintons lane as it was one of the places my famiky lived and i visited a few years ago and took pics, not sure off top of my head what number lintons but will dig my records out and let you know

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuju.
I was under the impression that Linton's Lane had been redeveloped as Portland Place. So any photographs of how it might have looked would definitely be of interest.
Many thanks, from Scobie

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 18:21 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk