Author Topic: Smeatons  (Read 14070 times)

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smeatons
« Reply #27 on: Monday 06 October 14 15:20 BST (UK) »
That is so strange, because James father should be Daniel because that is what his marriage record and death record state.  and His brother Robert is listed as visitor.  Could there just have been a mistake?? so confusing what year did you find this one in?  I will check the copies I have and see what census records I have, but will have to be later in the day, as I have to run out

This is a transcription found on FreeCen -

Brotherstons Close, Dalkeith

James Gibson   head    Married      24    Hawker unlicensed     born Berwickshire Swinton
Margret Gibson  wife      "              23    Hawker's wife                   Stirlingshire Falkirk
Robert Gibson    son                        2    Hawker's son            born Midlothian Dalkeith
Daniel Gibson     nephew  widowed  55    Tin Smith                        Lanarkshire Glasgow
Robert Gibson    visitor   unmarried  15     Scholar                   born Berwickshire Tweedmouth.

Obviously don't knowfor certain yet that this Daniel is your man. But he is from Glasgow where I believe your couple married. All above as transcribed (spelling etc) . Daniel being nephew of the head of house seems a bit odd. Perhaps it should be uncle???

Looby :)
Elliot, Mullen, Colquhoun, Smith, Moore, Coleman, Marshall, Hall, Dale, Galbraith, Cathcart, Gibson, Taylor, Lawson McGeachie, Caldwell

Scotland, West Lothian  Lanarkshire, Paisley, Glasgow,  Ireland,  Armagh, Donegal

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 06 October 14 15:24 BST (UK) »
Oh please do not be sorry, so many names the same!  And plus you are helping me!  I have been so lost over all this, and it is so kind of you for checking!  Thank you so very much.

Hold the bus Montana!
Don't think that Daniel Gibson is your man.
I've found another Daniel Gibson age 47 Tin Smith on the 1841 Census  at Falkirk.
He could more that likely be our Dalkeith Daniel.

Sorry  :-[
Elliot, Mullen, Colquhoun, Smith, Moore, Coleman, Marshall, Hall, Dale, Galbraith, Cathcart, Gibson, Taylor, Lawson McGeachie, Caldwell

Scotland, West Lothian  Lanarkshire, Paisley, Glasgow,  Ireland,  Armagh, Donegal

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 06 October 14 15:26 BST (UK) »
No problem.
Did you find Margaret on the 1851 Census (after her mother dies and before she marries)?
If so where is she please?

Offline KristinaCameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 06 October 14 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hello

Not sure how to attach a small link but I found it on Scotland'speople in the OPR for Edinburgh
Margaret Cameron 14/02/1835

Thanks for your help
CAMERON, Lindsay, Borrowman, Roberts, Giller, Eckersley.
BOLGER, Tully,  Low, Paterson, Ramsay, Fergus/Forgie  Millar, Stowell, Delaney, Hennessey, Walsh.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 06 October 14 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have downloaded the OPR that KristinaCameron was concerned about, for a Margaret Cameron. I have attached part of the image for recognition purposes.

I think the part containing "172 DC" is "1 1/2 Deep Pace East of Smeatons Ground" Which I think could mean 1 and half yards Deep, Pace East of Smeatons Ground. It is the second bottom one on the list, added the others to help comparison.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 06 October 14 23:07 BST (UK) »
Is this one Margaret Gibson? If so I did find her death record with the names Daniel Gibson, and Anne Gilmour as her parents, I did not find anything in 1851 census

No problem.
Did you find Margaret on the 1851 Census (after her mother dies and before she marries)?
If so where is she please? 

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 06 October 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Montana,

My previous post is for a Margaret Cameron who was also buried in the Canongate Kirkyard.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 06 October 14 23:10 BST (UK) »
Oh, thanks too many Margaret's!

Hi Montana,

My previous post is for a Margaret Cameron who was also buried in the Canongate Kirkyard.

Tom

Offline KristinaCameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 06:54 BST (UK) »
Oh, thanks too many Margaret's!

Hi Montana,

Tom
Thank you Tom. Now I can see the 1/2 and it makes sense. I am sorry if you had to pay for this. I am happy to search something for you if you need it. So the 'Smeaton Grounds' is in fact at Canongate Burial grounds. Is that correct?  Thanks for your time.

Kristina
CAMERON, Lindsay, Borrowman, Roberts, Giller, Eckersley.
BOLGER, Tully,  Low, Paterson, Ramsay, Fergus/Forgie  Millar, Stowell, Delaney, Hennessey, Walsh.