Author Topic: Boer War  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Salome

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Boer War
« on: Wednesday 19 May 04 18:54 BST (UK) »
Please does anyone have the book 'In Memoriam: Roll of Honour for those who died in the Boer War' by Steve Watts, and would be willing to look up one person for me?
Thanks

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
Re:Boer War
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 May 04 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Salome,
i went online to find out more information on this book and checked my local libary with the isbn # to see maybe it could be loaned
then to the national archives to see if it could be acessed somehow...no luck i'm afraid but that doesnt mean its out there somewhere to borrow as its very expensive to buy.
sometimes a fhs offer look-ups on such rare books, so dont give up  ;)

Details from Amazon.co.uk:
WATT, Steve In Memoriam : Roll of Honour Imperial Forces Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902 (ISBN: 9-780869-809686)

Our Price: £80.00 amazon.co.uk
Synopsis
An extraordinary reference and definitive listing of every individual who died serving with the Imperial forces in the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902 (including civilians), as well as of those who died during the period of occupation up to 1913. The listing covers over 25 000 who died and details, inter alia, which unit they were attached to, where and how they died, and where they are buried. Where possible the religion of each casualty and record of exhumation, age, grave number and monument listing is included

Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
Re: Boer War
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 14:29 GMT (UK) »
WATT, Steve In Memoriam : Roll of Honour Imperial Forces Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902 (ISBN: 9-780869-809686)

Try the Imperial War Museum, which holds a collection of books.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry has the casualty lists for the Boer War.

What name are you looking for?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Just a note of caution:

OP Salome was last online 27th November 2014, and
JAQ was last online 18th October 2019.

The thread itself dates from 19th May 2004!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)