Author Topic: Samuel PROBERT, Bath  (Read 2840 times)

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel PROBERT, Bath
« on: Thursday 20 May 10 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I am looking for a Samuel Probert in or around Bath.

From the 1851 Census in Westminster I have:

At 4 Romney Street Westminster

Samuel Probert 52, smith b. Bath, Somerset
Elizabeth Probert 50 b. St John Westr, Middlesex
and several children.

Given the ages of his children and that his wife was from Middlesex, I suspect he would have left Bath around maybe 1826 or earlier

Can anyone point me in any helpful directions please?

Thanks.

transparu

Australia

Yates (Tamworth, Staffs), Yates (Leicester), Probert (London, Westminster, Bath), Argles, Robinson (London, Westminster), Jessop (Westmeath)

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel PROBERT, Bath
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 May 10 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
1841 census
H0107 737/  4/12  19
Romney st st johns the evangelist westminster middlesex
samuel prober b 1801 not born county smith
elizabeth probert 1801 born county
Elizabeth b 1827
harriet b 1831
not sure you wanted them on this census my have miss understood that you have them only from 1851.
Anyway
1861 census still at same address as 1841
Rg09/48/43/33 gives  samuel as a gold smith and daughter emma b 1844 two other children not at home.
cheers cardiff ???
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 May 10 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cardiff,
(JUST arrived in Manchester for our son's wedding!)

I was aware of the other census details EXCEPT the gold smith.  I was sure I had other details at home that describes him as a black smith . . . but interestingly, forebears of his were silversmiths, so could fit.

I hope to have (ONLY) half a day in Westminster area and have some details/papers to chase u[p.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Regards,
transparu
Yates (Tamworth, Staffs), Yates (Leicester), Probert (London, Westminster, Bath), Argles, Robinson (London, Westminster), Jessop (Westmeath)

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 07:26 BST (UK) »
I have had trouble finding anything much of PROBERTS in Bath that look like connections.

I DID find Sarah Probert
Christening  5 Jan 1794, St James, Bath, Somerset with father James Probert and mother Sarah.

It is possible that Sarah  was a sister of Samuel so am wondering if anyone has any other Probert from St James in Bath?

In hope.

transparu
(now home in Australia)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 21:35 BST (UK) »
I have had trouble finding anything much of PROBERTS in Bath that look like connections.

I DID find Sarah Probert
Christening  5 Jan 1794, St James, Bath, Somerset with father James Probert and mother Sarah.

It is possible that Sarah  was a sister of Samuel so am wondering if anyone has any other Probert from St James in Bath?

HI,

FreeREG shows that James and Sarah also baptised  James 1802 and William 1805 in Walcot (part of Bath).
It doesn't yet cover Walcot 1779-1800 so it's quite possible that Samuel was baptised there around 1798.
The missing period is reported as "in progress", so you may be able to find him through FreeREG in a few months.

James Probert and Sarah Curtis married at Walcot St. Mary's, 3 Feb 1793. (I got that from the CD of North Somerset Marriages. FreeREG claims to cover St. Mary's marriages for that period but doesn't actually, which is odd.)

HTH

David

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:33 BST (UK) »
Dear David,
Thanks so much for this, it certainly does help.  I don;t know how I missed finding that but it sure tantalises me now. 

I'll just have to be patient!

Thanks again.

Dave

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 August 10 17:30 BST (UK) »

I don;t know how I missed finding that but it sure tantalises me now. 

I'll just have to be patient!

You need suffer no longer.  I was able to have a quick look at the Walcot registers today. There were two baptisms by James and Sarah Probert in 1796 - 1800.

Samuel, 16 Oct 1796 and
Eliza,  7 Apr 1799

That makes Samuel a bit older than you thought. Walcot was a huge parish, with several hundred baptisms a year, so I can't absolutely guarentee that there wasn't another Samuel that I missed, but I think it's unlikely. The only other Probert I saw was another Eliza, baptized by William and Diana on 11 May 1800.

Best wishes

David

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 August 10 14:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for this David,

I appreciate your help - and access.  This does add another generation to this part of the family.

Greetings again, from downunder.

Dave

Offline John Probert

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 March 16 16:06 GMT (UK) »
hi my name is John Arthur Probert my Great great great Grandfather was James Probert Born aprox 1760 in Bath he Married Sarah Curtis on3 February 1793 in St. Walcot Bath they had several Children one of which was Samuel who was Born about 1796 in bath he Married Elizabeth Diggle on the 19 april 1835 in Old Church, St. Pancras London He Died in 1871 in Whitey Oxfordshire. I have other Information if you need it