Author Topic: 16 Commercial road, Hereford  (Read 34711 times)

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 16 Commercial road, Hereford
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Dalek39, from what Brant81uk has said, there was a lot to choose from. It is possible although 1876 is after 'our' lot headed off to NZ in 1863.

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Glamis...Yes, I know..but just thought that Inn would be still called the White Swan, as its the only one I could find in Commercial Road...and there was a large list of Pubs and Inns in the index....I must admit, they may not have had all the Inns listed...anyway, I'll keep searching.... :-\ ;D

Offline Brant81uk

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I am not longer receiving emails
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 01:56 BST (UK) »
Gladis Derek, I haven't heard of the white Swan before? That could be a contender! I was hoping my Hereford Pubs book would of arrived yesterday (Tues) but hopefully till arrive today.

Let you know later when the postman arrives!!!

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 27 May 10 19:49 BST (UK) »
Have you checked Commercial Street also. As there is a Commercial Street that runs into Commercial Road.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 27 May 10 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi glamis, I have been to Hereford library today and emerged with 3 books on old Hereford. Commercial road is a bit of a problem and I don't want to pre-empt Brant81 but I have found a reference to Daniel Herbert in 1840 who I think appears in your research,the premises he occupied in 1840 and the ones he moved to in 1841are both pictured in google street view in widemarsh street, virtually as they were then.
If this is of interest I will try and guide you to them.

With regard to Commercial Rd, I hope I wont offend anyone but are we sure number 15 is the actual house number, not the census enumerators record number as I have never seen a reference to house numbers existing in 1851.

regards Mazi's husband, its bedtime here in uk

Offline Brant81uk

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I am not longer receiving emails
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 27 May 10 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Mazi,

Anything that helps Glamis in her quest for answers? You post! My book about Hereford pubs hasn't turned up anyway so Im quite anoyed at that.

I will be interested as to what you have found out about the addresses you may have.

Take care :)

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 27 May 10 23:53 BST (UK) »
Dear Bilge, Good thing to make us think over. No, I didn't think of the fact there may be a 'Road' and then a ' street '- Thank you for pointing that out. I should've thought of that. Can you see if there is anything in it that may be of significance?
Dear Mazi- how very astute and yes please, do help. Daniel Herbert is 'our' man' . We/ I are under the impression it was number 16- I think it was it was Hanes Teulu who seems to have found that the building may have been divided. (Please do correct me if I'm wrong)
Brant81uk, I hope that book turns up-You are so kind in your attempts at helping me/us. This is another amazing journey.
Thank you all for your help- it really is very much appreciated and what ever anyone can offer is the same. x

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 28 May 10 12:29 BST (UK) »
Glamis,  there is a lot of info on this and all the other threads, its quite hard to keep up :) :) :) :)

My info is from a well researched book with references quoted but obviosly it is copywright so cannot post pics or quote verbatim.

Daniel Herbert is listed in Pigots commercial directory 1840 as a wholesale wine and spirits merchant in premises at Widemarsh street.
Another source tells me that this is correct and provides a picture of the premises, which is viewable on street view, and tells me Daniel was a tenant.

In july 1841 someone else took over these premises and Daniel moved five doors away to "larger and more commodious premises",these also are on st view. At these premise Daniel appears to be both a wholesaler and retailer of wines and spirits--not just an alehouse. late in the decade the premises changed hands again and the new owner made considerable improvements
and offered more facilities, appearently with some sucess.

There is no further mention of Daniel Herbert,I personally wonder if he may have gone bankrupt and hid from his creditors, but that is just speculating.

This all seems to tie in with what you already know, more to follow on street view
regards Mazi's husband

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 28 May 10 12:52 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)Mazi,s OH again,

I have just read in Herefordshire Completed Lookup requests a post about Daniel herbert and transportation to tasmania. Please please dont read anything into this but---inthe1840,s bankruptcy was punishable by imprisonment in a debtors prison or other such,---maybe, just maybe his
creditors caught up with him.

Maybe---- just maybe-this is why his daughter and son in law emigrated.
have I got my facts correct, can anyone advise.

Mazi,s oh, need a cup of tea to soothe my brain.