Author Topic: Alexander McAuley Murphy (1791-1876), Carrickfergus  (Read 19983 times)

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McAuley Murphy (1791-1876), Carrickfergus
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 17:19 BST (UK) »
I found this
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the picture of the tombstone of Alexander McAuley Murphy.  I assume that it is the one that was erected in Montreal where he lived from 1819 until his death.
CAM

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hello again Paul,
So good to hear from you and especially with information that might lead us to the patriarch of the Murphy clan that emigrated to Canada.  It is interesting to note that AMcM's wife's name is Christian as was my third great-grandmother (née McKenzie from County Down) married to John, brother of AMcM. Should you obtain additional information, I would be delighted if you would pass it on. 

Thank you for your continued interest in the McAuley family.

Carole Ann

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
I've just downloaded and enhanced the pic you posted. While I thought at first that it was Alexander McAuley Murphy's tombstone, it is clearly John Murphy and his wife Christian McAuley. 
Thank you again for posting this pic and I am sorry that in my haste, I attributed it to AMcM.

Regards.
CAM

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 06:40 BST (UK) »
Carole Ann,
I am still interested, so if I should ever find any additional information I will always be happy to
add my two yen's worth.  Living in Japan makes for a currency change.  And Stevenson, thanks for the photo of the grave.  With very best wishes to the two of you, Paul (pablo1)

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hello again Paul,
I hope that you have been well and still interested in the McAuley clan.  I've just heard via a distant Murphy cousin that there will be a McAuley family reunion in Carrickfergus in August and wondered whether you were aware of it. 

She will be in  Belfast at that time and might attend. I sure would like to!

How is your research going?

Cheers,
Carole Ann

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, Carole Ann.  Of course, I am still interested in the McAuleys.  I am aware that the clan is going to meet in Carrickfergus, but I will be unable to attend due to work and eye problems.  My right eye is very weak and the retina is on the verge of tearing.  This has kept me from visiting the U.S. for the past couple of years.  It has also slowed down my research quite a bit.  However,  I am still very much involved with genealogy.  If either you or your friend attend, I am sure you will have a great time.  With very best wishes from Osaka...Paul

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 09 September 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
Paul,
I just want to let you know that the Headstone for John Murphy and Christian McAuley is indeed relevant to my family. We are 99.9% sure that they are our 4th great grandparents. A distant cousin and I hired a local genealogist and unfortunately most historical records for the years in question would have perished in fires! In any case, we are comforted by the fact that we have at least found the parents of the clan that emigrated to Canada.

I trust that you are well and still doing research into the McAuley family.
Cheers.
CAM

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 09 September 18 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, Carole Ann.  The pic that was put on this forum for you, was from Stevenson, so he/she deserves all of the credit.  I am still involved with McAuley research.  My group of McAuleys came from the area around Larne, Ballyeaston and Ballynure, so I am taking a closer look at those areas.  I am glad that the photo of the headstone of John Murphy has helped you in locating your roots.  Keep up the good work.  With very best wishes, Paul