Author Topic: Tanshelf, Pontefract district, 1913  (Read 10470 times)

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
  • Time cannot change what went before
    • View Profile
Tanshelf, Pontefract district, 1913
« on: Sunday 27 March 05 16:02 BST (UK) »
My ggrandmother married in Tanshelf in 1913, however, according to the Royal Mail website, the village? no longer exists.   ???

i belive there may still be a train station by the same name today, but does anyone know what became of Tanshelf & its residents? 

Would appreciate any info,

kind regards, sharren   :-*

BALDRIDGE: Yorks, BARNWELL: Warwicks & Yorks, CARASS: Yorks, DENT: Durham, Lewisham & Yorks, GIBSON: Pontefract & Yorks, SAWBRIDGE: Leicester & Yorks, WALTON: Yorks, WEBSTER: Yorks, YOUNG: Yorks.

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tanshelf, Pontefract district, 1913
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 March 05 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Don't about the residents but yes there is still a station there,

Tanshelf Station
Beechnut lane
Pontefract
WF8 4??

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline peterpiper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 April 05 07:51 BST (UK) »
sharren, tanshelf station is still in existance and has recently been "done up".
Tanshelf as a village hasn't existed for a number of years, the streets of houses, (which weren't very numerous) have ben replaced by a number of small industrial and retail units, builders merchants,etc. if you "Google" for "Queens Hotel Pontefract"and scroll to second entry, the location map is accurate enough, you will be able to see the original roads, (minus houses),round the station, as they have not been changed.
By the way, which Gibsons are you looking for in Ponte?
peter
O'Brien, Staffs & Ireland: Jarvis, Gorman,W.Yorks.& Mars
Hatto, Yorks & Berks. Thomas, Derbs. & Yorks.

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 April 05 13:39 BST (UK) »
hi peter,

thanks very much for your reply & apologies for my long reply.

Annie Eliza Webster & Frederick Gibson married in Oct  1913 at Pontefract Regisrty Office, Frederick was originally born in Knaresbro, his father was Thomas, a builders lab & Annie in Green Hammerton in 1884.  They were both living at 41 Queen St, Tanshelf, but had moved to Hillcrest, Front St, Tanshelf just prior to the marriage. Frederick was a Slater (journeyman) & his daughter was born in Tanshelf in 1914, still waiting on the cert for address, I know Frederick enlisted in Pontefract for WW1, but his wife had returned to Knaresbro for the birth of their son in 1917.  Frederick was kia in 1918.

The reason i'm really interested in this couple is that it was a bigamous marriage, Annie was still married to her 1st husband at the time, he died in 1915 at Ripon Workhouse & there is no record of a divorce.

I'm trying to find out how they both ended up in Tanshelf as there dont appear to be any family connections to the area.  It could be his work had taken him to the area & she followed him there, or perhaps he married her knowing her 1st husband was still alive & they eloped, its all very interesting but as i'm not familiar with this area i really need all the help i can get, so i would really appreciate any info you can give me.

This part of Annies life for obvious reasons has always been shrouded in mystery & none of my older relatives would ever speak about it.

The witnesses on their Mc were William Tolley & Ernest Royston Goodall, neither of which mean anything mean anything to me.

I shall look at the website & map you mentioned & hopefully it will put some flesh on the bones.  Thanks for your help once again

Kind regards, Sharren   :-*

BALDRIDGE: Yorks, BARNWELL: Warwicks & Yorks, CARASS: Yorks, DENT: Durham, Lewisham & Yorks, GIBSON: Pontefract & Yorks, SAWBRIDGE: Leicester & Yorks, WALTON: Yorks, WEBSTER: Yorks, YOUNG: Yorks.

Offline peterpiper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 April 05 13:33 BST (UK) »
sharren,
i asked about your Gibsons because i have a friend in Ponte called Gibson, I've been in touch with him this am but no connection with your Gibsons,sorry about that, but it was worth a try,
peter
O'Brien, Staffs & Ireland: Jarvis, Gorman,W.Yorks.& Mars
Hatto, Yorks & Berks. Thomas, Derbs. & Yorks.

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 April 05 14:08 BST (UK) »
thanks for asking peter & like you said its worth a try.

kind regards sharren   :-*

Offline Steven Hancock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 May 05 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharren i work at Haribo it is right next to Tanshelf. Pontefract has a museum which might be able to help you with your quest if you can`t get there i will be able to go there for you just tell me what you need.

Steve

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 May 05 22:49 BST (UK) »
hi steve,

thanks for your kind offer, would you know if the museum has a website? if not, can you post the address, email, tel: details?

Also would you know where the street directories/electoral rolls for tanshelf are located?

kind regards sharren

Offline Steven Hancock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 May 05 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Sharren

Pontefract Museum
Salter Row
Pontefract
WF8 1BA

Tel 01977 722740

I will have a look at Tanshelf records on monday after work then i`ll will let you know what i find.

Steve