Author Topic: Michael SMITH Brushy Creek  (Read 15858 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael SMITH Brushy Creek
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 06 June 10 07:05 BST (UK) »
I have checked the Lilydale and surrounding cemeteries and there is no burial record for Michael....that is why I asked  ;D  I thought that norag would know as they are her ancestors.  I wonder if anyone has any certificates?

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 June 10 07:16 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the database gives no further identifying information.  You would think they could have least detailed the date of burial.

With a surname SMITH :-\ :-\

SMITH Mary   
Lilydale Memorial Park   
Row 6   137

Perhaps give the cemetery a call - 1300 368 609

Cando

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 June 10 08:20 BST (UK) »
Just had another look at the Lilydale site (Lilydale Lawn cemetery) I can see a Michael Smith Row 3 #57 and a Mary Smith Row 3 #58

However I think this is probably a newer section of the cemetery than would have been in use when Michael died.

Unfathomable as to why the site doesn't have a date.  The Christian and surnames of Michael and Mary SMITH are so common it could easily not be them, but I thought it might be worth looking at.

Cando is right - a phone call would give you the information as to whether these are the right people.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline norag

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 07 June 10 00:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that work  I haven't worked out how to use these little faces yet otherwise  there would be lots of smiley faces for you.  I read in the instructions that I should not use  too many capitals etc either so am still finding my way.
 It is disappointing that Michael is not buried in or near Lilydale. I would have thought that by the late 1870'3 there would be no bush burials.. surely not.. I wonder of the  cemetery records are complete.

Later James, the second son was married to Mary Kelly 23/9/91 . The first marriage in the Catholic Church in Healsville.  Church and it's records, since burned down I have been led to believe, but I have pages from a family bible presented to them on that occasion. That has been my only source of information so far plus the photo I mentioned before.

I have been chasing up certificates but so many smiths it has been expensive but now i have a few more clues, egg names of Michael's wife and children.  very exciting.

Disappointing too how little info there is on some certificates. is there a form of certificate more complete?

Anyone have advice of best method of chasing certificates?

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 June 10 00:50 BST (UK) »
norag

There ARE some Michael SMITHs and some Mary SMITHs at Lilydale but we think they are in the newer part.  However, they may be older burials as the memorial section has been in use since about 1860ish.

www.lilydalecemetery.com.au

The website has an email contact or you can phone them - Cando has already given you the number.  There is also a search facilty on the web-site but they do not give dates for the burials which makes it a bit difficult to know if they are the ones you are looking for.

Good luck - Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline norag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 June 10 01:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Judeb I will follow up the Lilydale cemetery link.

Judb and Logan Appinmgirl is my cousin, but not on the Smith side She is a Mahony, and she has been very helpful

Norag

Offline norag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 07 June 10 01:08 BST (UK) »
Regarding cemetery burial sites side by side does seem to be significant especially as the names Michael and Mary are the sites we are looking for.  However, the fact that a Mary smith died in West Melbourne aged 56 , and that is where one of her son's had moved to seems also significant.  Luckily records would have been better by them  Maybe she is the Melbourne General cemetery.  Norag

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 07 June 10 01:09 BST (UK) »
Good advice from Judith ;D

If you would like to use the smileys, simply click on the one you would like to use and it will appear where you have the cursor in your message ;D ;D  I love them ;D

Never assume you have the correct information as it is mother and son buried adjacent to each other.

Mary SMITH was buried on the 10 Jan 1902 in the Lilydale Cemetery is at location RC3  57.

Also buried at RC3 58 is Michael SMITH who was interred on 12 Apr 1903.

Buried at RC3 38 on 18 Jan 1873 is Michael SMITH.

The Trust member of staff was extremely helpful. :-* 

Deaths
Mary's is already on the thread.   Reply#16 

SMITH Michael
Father Smith Michael  Mother Mary UNKNOWN
43 years  at Melbourne East  1903  Reg#6464

and you have Michael's.

Certificates are the only way of validating the information.

Cheers ;D
Cando 

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 07 June 10 01:39 BST (UK) »
Do either of you need further help with this SMITH family in Vic?  Oh why did I write that ::) :P   

Have you all the children's deaths etc.  This one b. c1872

SMITH Joseph Thomas
Father Smith Michael  Mother Mary McNAMARA
34 years  at Lilydale  1906  Reg#5974

Row 3 seems to be in the Roman Catholic Section

SMITH Joseph   
Lilydale Lawn Cemetery   Row 3   77

Apologies Judith for misleading you with my comment that the Lawn Cemetery may be the newer one :-[

Cheers
Cando