Author Topic: Michael SMITH Brushy Creek  (Read 15863 times)

Offline LoganH

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michael SMITH Brushy Creek
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 12 June 10 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for sharing your photo of Michael & Mary's family.
You might consider to post on the Photograph Restoration & Dating part of Rootschat and ask is some kind person would improve / clean up the family photo.
Some really talented people post their.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=298.0

:)

Offline norag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 12 June 10 13:05 BST (UK) »

I think probably  the term Orphans may have been used to generate sympathy at obviously a very emotional time. As we read in an earlier report the whole community  of Brushy Creek was shocked at the death
I wonder who took the photo and why and who wrote the inscription. Newspaper? local church community?

I find the photo so moving and very excited to find out so much about them, to know their names etc  Norag

Offline norag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 12 June 10 13:15 BST (UK) »

Death in NSW - right area
1004/1945     
SMITH  Patrick Daniel
Father Michael
District Bellingen   Do you know an address for getting  images of certificates for NSW such as the one I have been using for Vic?  and is the 1004 the Ref number?

dementia/senility.  Edward by then would have been suffering both. The farmer reported him to my dad as being incapable of looking after himself.
I will try to get his certificate and follow up at springvale.
Thanks as always grateful  Norag

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 13 June 10 00:33 BST (UK) »
Transcriptions of certificates are available in NSW.    The cost is considerably cheaper $17/18 and the transcription is emailed.
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToSearch.htm#TranscriptionAgent

Norag you  have 'misquoted' me in reply#64.  Would you please modify the post and remove the quote marks.  Thanks.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline norag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 13 June 10 03:53 BST (UK) »
That will be him. I have applied for the certificate. Somehow did not find the spot where certificates are emailed so they are sending it and it cost $28  Oh well!. Only problem now I have to wait to view it. Cant wait as it will show if he married.

I inquired about marriage certificates and there were none. Maybe he married in Vic before he left for NSW.

the possibility is that there is a branch of the family in NSW that we never knew existed? :)
  Norag

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 14 June 10 03:52 BST (UK) »
Norag transcriptions of certificates are emailed ie if you purchase from a transcription agent...cost $17/18.  Certificates are mailed.

Cheers ;D
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline norag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 14 June 10 07:33 BST (UK) »
Reply to Cando 58
 Yes thanks  I must have reached the wrong spot. I will  be  more careful next time. I find some of these sites very difficult to negotiate, but I am learning ;) :)

I am looking forward to seeing if Patrick was married but suspect that he was not.

It only remains now for me to find where John is buried. I  am going to try The lilydale  cemetery as suggested in am earlier post. I do not think he left the area but that is only surmise. No evidence.

Strange so few of them married. My grandfather seems to be the exception. He married twice and had 7 children. That is James of the photo3161

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
I have been researching the Trinder Family of Birts Hill Brushy Creek from 1866 -1890...James Smith a Melbourne Journalist was his direct neighbour....I assume Michael Smith was his son (or Vica Versa) & he and Charles Trinder were both Wood Carters with Bullock teams that worked the district. Michael Smith & Charles Trinder appeared to partner in a Beer Lic. for a inn known as the THE EXCURSION INN at Birts Hill in 1869. Michael Smith was crushed/Killed by his own Bullock wagon in 1873. The Excursion Inn may have been sold to Charles Trinder's future son in law William Turner in 1870. Charles Trinder had a nick name of "Black Charlie" as he was known to run with Blacks & had an Aboriginal mistress by the name of Alice who lived at the top of his land at Birts Hill, with which we believe he fathered 5 children.....I trust this information helps the Smith Investigation.