Author Topic: GOMERSALL-GUMMERSON (GOONS #808)  (Read 13500 times)

Offline DebbieGo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GOMERSALL-GUMMERSON (808)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 December 05 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've had a quick look through my records and there are two possibles, I will try and find time in the next few days to work out which one it is, but now my daughter is off school and with Christmas rapidly approaching I can't make any promises.  Could you contact me directly on gomersall@one-name.org then I can reply directly.

Debbie

Offline Gomersall

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 20:38 BST (UK) »
Debbie, I have been tracing my Gomersall ancestors for some time now. Most came from the small 'town' of Kirkheaton near Huddersfield. Through much of the 19th century one family - John and Mary Gomersall and subsequently their children ran a pub called the Black Horse at Dalton near Kirkheaton.
The children married into the Shaw and Horton families.
I have traced the family from the mid 18th century to the turn of the 21st century but have failed to find my paternal grandfather Horton Gomersall who disappeared soon after my father was born.

Alan 

Offline DebbieGo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 September 08 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

We corresponded back in 2004.  Unfortunately a lot of my emails were deleted by my computer about a year ago and I can only find one email from you dated 5.9.04, which didn't have much in it.  I've done quite a bit of work on the Quakers since then, but I would have to check to see if there was anything specifically on your line.  I don't think I have any further trace of your grandfather, I think I would have remembered if I had come across him as he had such an unusual first name.
I am off on holiday for the next fortnight, but if you want to get in touch directly you can contact me through the GOONS website, just search on the Gomersall name and my contact details come up.

Debbie

Offline hutchy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 February 09 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Could you please help? We are researching my father's family (Hutchinson) and  have got back as far as 1838-1840ish! We are sure of our facts up to Joseph Hutchinson, my GGGGrandfather. However, we appear to be stuck. We are fairly certain that Joseph's father was Job Hutchinson. My wife looked his name up on Google and it came up with your piece on the Hutchinson/Gomersall link. I realise this correspondence was a while ago, but could you possibly give us any information you may have or point us in the right direction, we would be eternally grateful!

Regards,

Jonathan Hutchinson   

Offline Malt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GOMERSALL-GUMMERSON (GOONS #808)
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
I`ve just posted a thread to try and trace part of my familly with the name Gomersall. Jack moved to Canada int he late forties and had three children ---, --- and ---. If you have anything that may help me or if I can send you any thing to help you please contact me
G

Moderator's Note: names of possibly living people removed in accordance with Rootschat policy. See living people section under posting guideline:
www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php#living

Offline DebbieGo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'll do my best, if you would like to contact me directly, go to the Guild of One-Name Studies website www.one-name.org put in the surname and my contact details come up.  I will be away for the next two weeks, but will have a look at what I have when I get back. If you have any more information about Jack it would help - his place and date of birth especially. Debbie

Offline bankhallbretherton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hello I wonder if you can help me... i am looking at this coat of arms and trying to break it down i have all the parts now apart from the bottom right which i see looks like the Gomersall coat of arm symbols the three gauntlets but what relevance is the horse? Also how is the Gomersall related to the Legh or Keck Family? many thanks
John

Offline DebbieGo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi John,  my husband has just received an email from you as well, we will have a look and see what we can find.  The Gomersall coat of arms was granted in the mid 16th Century; what is the timescale you are interested in?  Debbie

Offline bankhallbretherton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie
Its a small world then! :)
I am looking around the Legh Keck coat of arms which was created when George Anthony Keck and Elizabeth Atherton were married they adopted the surname Legh into their name to retain ownership of Bank Hall where this stunning coat of arms is above the main entrance porch.
His mother was Elizabeth Legh and her mother was Henrietta Maria Legh (Sisters) they married to retain ownership of Bank Hall and the Estates. Which is why Bank Hall is like Lancashire's version of Downton Abbey, (with many other reasons to back this statement!)
Elizabeth Legh Keck died in 1837 and George Anthony Legh Keck in 1860 with no heir. so we are looking around pre 1800 to mid 1800s I would say as a guess but im not sure what time period exactly that would have arrived in the coat of arms as the bank hall one has a horses head in it too and the Gomersall one doesnot, which leaves me puzzled... :o