Author Topic: Clark hunter Cooperage St James  (Read 18366 times)

Offline Angus90

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clark hunter Cooperage St James
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 October 15 16:35 GMT (UK) »
 I lived in MacFarlane Street in the 1950's and my best friend - both at home and school was a Hunter whose father was connected to the cooperage. We often went there on a Saturday afternoon as there was a WW2 air raid shelter which we used as a den.

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 October 15 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, My great grandmother was Nellie Adam nee Hunter, Nellie had three children James, Peggy and Helen.  My grandmother was Peggy Gibson nee Adam.  Her grandfather was Clark Hunter.  We all grew up on St James Avenue, Paisley also known as MacFarlane St.

Karen

Karen,

can I ask what number you stayed in as I used to live in St James Avenue.
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline Craig25

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 April 21 18:28 BST (UK) »
1st Poster, but I have loads of info for you.

On the 17/11/1904 "Clark Hunter" bought the land to build 20 dwelllings on what is now St James Avenue. He bought it from "William Blair Stewart"

Local legend says he built the houses for his workers. He also may have bought other plots and built more houses on the same street, there are about 50.

Starting at Number 1 the houses gradually get smaller as you progress along the street. The 1st houses were for Bosses and the less important you were to the business, the further along the street you stayed.

One of the 1st houses in the Street, changed hands in 1/9/1959 and went to "Humphrey Goudie Hunter". Born 13/03/1916

Offline Bruce Loggie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 31 October 21 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi- I have some information on the Clark Hunter Cooperage.
My family lived at 6 Stirrat Street- James Jamieson and Jane (Jane Noble) with their children Mary and James (James died at sea).
Mary (Jamieson) went to America- New York 1929 and returned with 2 children (Jean and James) 1932.
Apparently she married James Loggie in Bronx New York but the marriage / relationship failed and she returned to 6 Stirrat Street (Possibly they did not marry as i have not been able to find any marriage record / information on this).
James Jamieson was the Manager (Head Cooper) at the Cooperage and apparently had his arm ripped off using machinery in the cooperage- He died at the Cooperage 1948.
Apparently he was the World Champion Cooper Maker- Although i have no records of this.
I have no records of James Loggie (Married to Mary Jamieson- Around 1929-1932)- But if anyone can give me any information on this person would be much appreciated- It would appear that he stayed in New York and likely remarried.
Mary Loggie (Mary Jamieson) also died at the Cooperage 1956 (Age 51).
Jane Jamieson (Jane Noble) and her grandchildren Jean and James Loggie lived at 6 Stirrat Street until 1960 when they all moved out.
Jean Loggie married Stan Whitmarsh- Moved to London

James Loggie married Janet Miller Campbell (My mother and father)- Moved to Belfast. (Both alive and live in France)

If anyone has any recollection about the events at The Cooperage and specifically Mary Loggie (Mary Jamieson) and her relationship with James Loggie would be much appreciated- As there is a large void in respect of my grandfather- No information.

If anyone has any questions about the Cooperage- My mother seems to have alot of information.

Regards Bruce loggie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 31 October 21 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the US 1930 census? It's available online at https://www.familysearch.org?

And have you tried searching for them as Logie instead of Loggie?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.