Author Topic: Thomas Mcmurdo  (Read 5331 times)

Offline norah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Mcmurdo
« on: Friday 11 June 10 19:30 BST (UK) »
Thomas Mcmurdo was a brother to my Gran he was born in Wingate Durham 1877 he m 1897 Stockton on tees to Betrice Lamberth They had 5 children in England the were  born there  one of the children died 1909 .  after that they moved to Stamford Hill Durban were two more children were born one in 1911 and one 1913. Thomas died 27th NOV 1914. I have a poor copy of the death cert but it does not tell you how he died gives lots of other info were he was born his Parents his wife and his children how would I find out any more info Regards Norah

Offline inverkip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Mcmurdo
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 05:40 BST (UK) »
Norah, I have been researching a Thomas McMurdo who was born in Keir, Dumfriesshire about 1827. He married a Lillias Gray at Troqueer in 1848, and they had several children in Scotland before moving to Durham.
I wondered whether your post might be connected to the same family. Lillias died at Easington, Durham in 1879.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 06:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Norah try this link http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300ds?2012091107411762B55406

There are 65 files for the surname McMurdo.

Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline irenemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 December 14 18:28 GMT (UK) »
This Thomas was a grandson of Thomas McMurdo and Lilias Gray. His father was John McMurdo and his mother Frances Elizabeth Hallimond

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I found the following on one of their children. 

LESLIE CLEGG McMURDO

Leslie was born in Stockton in 1900 to Thomas and Beatrice McMurdo. The family lived at Howden Street but while Leslie was still a boy the family emigrated to Durban, South Africa.

When he was 16 Leslie attempted to join the South African Army but was refused enlistment as he was still at school. so he ran away from home and stowed aboard a ship bound for Australia where he applied to enlist with the Australian Imperial Force.

In his application to the recruiting office at Townsville, Queensland, he declared his year of birth as 1898 to overcome his underage status. Additionally it would seem that he recorded on his application that he had already completed 121 days basic training with the Durban Light Infantry Regiment (South African Army ) prior to leaving South Africa, presumably to reinforce his age eligibility.

He was allowed to join the Australian Infantry, 31st. Battalion , AIF (Private 4563) 5th. Australian Division at Townsville, Queensland on 21 September 1916. On 23 December he embarked on the HMTA "Demosthenes " at Sydney, disembarking at Plymouth on 23rd March 1917. He left Southampton for the front on 30 July and after reaching Harve on the 4 August 1917 was taken "on strength " ( 12th. Rifle Company, 31st. Battalion ) on 24 August 1917.

Just over a month later on 26 September 1917, south of the village of Zonnebeke, Belgium, Leslie was carrying a wounded comrade back to Allied lines when he was shot by a German sniper and killed.

He was posthumously awarded three service medals: the British War Medal, Victory Medal and the 1914-1918 Star andis buried at Buttes New British Cemetery, Polygon Wood, grave reference XXIV. D.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline keith777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 July 15 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Nookie
Thank your info on Leslie Clegg Rodda who was my mother's brother so he would have been  my uncle. I knew most of his background from my cousin Peter Rodda but not how he was shot. Another cousin Howard Rodda who also lives in England went to Belgium last year and took pictures of the cemetery and found Clegg's grave.

Offline keith777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 July 15 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Norah
Just been on the Roots and saw your message posted long ago. Thomas McMurdo b.1877 was my grandmother Beatrice Maude McMurdo's husband. Looks that we are related! if your mother was Agnes Buckle. I have a copy of Thomas's Death Notice. He died aged 37yr and 7 mths. It does not state how he died, I was told he had pneumonia. The lived at 30 Ivy Road, Stamford Hill, Durban.
I used to live in Pinetown about 25miles away. If I had been interest in Ancestry in those days I could have visited the old house, and got much more from my living family. All the old census were destroyed in S.A. requiring much research to find earlier info. I have found family tree back to 1732 Helen McMurdo, you probably the same. Recent my family history is up to date, if you need any of it.  Best wishes Keith

Offline irenemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 July 15 21:46 BST (UK) »
When you say "back to Helen McMurdo 1732" do you mean Helen Kirk wife of Thomas McMurdo?....3xgt grandparents of Thomas born 1877?  I have only one child for them to reach adult hood ...John bapt 1753 in Keir.... a James was bapt 3 years later but nothing more and then 2 more children who died as infants.
Irene

Offline keith777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 July 15 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Irene
Yes. Here is my McMurdo tree. Some supplied by Pat fam.tree and some by the Carlow fam.tree
Helen McMurdo = Thomas McMurdo = Rebecca McMurdo
 ne้ Kirk b.1732      b.1727                    ne้ Russell b.1740
        m.1750                                          m.1766
        d. 1764
Helen & Thomas had John b. 1753, James b.1756, Margaret and Susan died in infancy.

Thomas & Rebecca had son Thomas b.1767
Next Generation I expect you have it.
John b.1753 = Agness ne้ Martin b. 1760

Many thanks Keith