Author Topic: 1614 Will for Gabriel Hemsworth  (Read 3128 times)

Offline soofie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1614 Will for Gabriel Hemsworth
« on: Tuesday 29 March 05 13:06 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with this one? I have a reference that says Gabriel was buried inside the Tickhill Church and there is a reference to his will dated 1614.  I am not sure if his will would have been proved at York, Nottingham or where? Any help would be appreciated as we don't have any indices for wills available here in Western Australia.
Lancashire - Manchester Hodson, Lee, Shelmerdine, Cheek. Blackburn - Guest

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
Re: 1614 Will for Gabriel Hemsworth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 12:07 BST (UK) »
It was probably proved locally because it was not proved at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury.

Indexes to the 54 peculiar courts of the Province of York (1383-1883)  are available to search at British Origins (http://www.britishorigins.com/help/popup-aboutbo-ypec.htm). Of course, this is pay per view.

Once you have found the reference you need, copies of the will can be orderedf from the Borthwick Institute at York University http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/bihr/PostalService/Copies.htm

Hope this helps
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline soofie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1614 Will for Gabriel Hemsworth
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Amy for your reply.
I have already tried the Borthwick and I found that BritishOrigins don't have the complete indices up and running yet as I used a search from another source to check their data.
I thought there may be indices available for Nottinghamshire. I'll keep trying or wait until Origins comes up to scratch.
Thanks again
Soofie
Lancashire - Manchester Hodson, Lee, Shelmerdine, Cheek. Blackburn - Guest