Author Topic: CROWLEY/CRAWLEY where from here?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Shonagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
CROWLEY/CRAWLEY where from here?
« on: Tuesday 29 March 05 17:51 BST (UK) »
I am stuck on our Crawley side of the family.  I have a marriage certificate for Patrick Crawley that has just arrived and can find him on the 1871/81/91 and 01 census records with his family in Doncaster. 

We always thought he was born in Ireland (somewhere in Ireland!!) but the census states Brighton, London, and Camberwell!!!

The marraige certificate states the name as CROWLEY and his father's name as CORNELIUS CROWLEY.  The 1871 states CROWLEY but later census are CRAWLEY and that is the family name now.

As I can't find any records for Cornelius that look likely and can't find a birth reference for Patrick does anyone know what I can do from here?  He seems to have appeared from nowhere.

Patrick Crowley or Crawley was born somewhere in 1845 and married in Doncaster aged 21.  He married Isabella Watson, aged 22.  The witnesses were Patrick Kilroy and a Hannah?????????????? can't read it as the print is really bad.

Please can anyone help - it would be wonderful if there was a relation somewhere that knew the answers to this - unfortunately the local family know nothing.

Thanks for reading

Shonagh

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: CROWLEY/CRAWLEY where from here?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

Every Patrick Crowley/Crawley with a father Cornelius on the IGI, was born in Ireland.  The same on the BVRI(2) - although there are only 2 entries for that combination.

If you can't find him or his father on the 1861, then I would guess that he was born in Ireland

This is the nearest birth to 1845

PAT. CROWLEY 
  Male     

Christening:  20 MAR 1842   Roman Catholic, Killarney, Kerry, Ireland

Parents:
  Father:  CORN. CROWLEY    Mother:  MARY NICE 

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)