Author Topic: Children of William Edmund (Senior) Of Herberdeg Farm, Five Roads  (Read 3107 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Children of William Edmund (Senior) Of Herberdeg Farm, Five Roads
« on: Saturday 10 July 10 13:19 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to identify children of William Edmund of Herberdeg farm (died 07 June 1834) and his 2 wives Jane Harvey (married 1796) and Margaret Thomas (married 1804). Children I feel reasonably confident in attributing to William Edmund of Heberdeg Farm, Five Roads, llanelly are:

Mary Edmund (born around 1797) a daughter of William Edmund and his first wife Jane Harvey

The remainder are children of William and his second wife Margaret Thomas:

William Edmund (born around 1808) of Herberdeg/Caerbrenin Farm, Five Roads
Richard Edmund (born around 1811) of Caerbigyn Farm, Five Roads
Elizabeth Edmund (born 1812-16), in 1841 living at Tynewyyd, Hengoed Hamlet
Charles Edmund (born around 1815) of Tyrderry, Collier
John Edmund (born around 1817) living at Herberdeg in1841, Famer (Cynheidre Issa) in 1851, Collier 1861 (Pelican) and 71 (Jenmen Cottage)
Sarah Edmund (born around 1821) living at Herberdeg in 1841

Does anyone else have links to any of the Edmunds above and can support my conclusions? I would be equally interested if you disagree with my conclusions and have alternative parentage? I am willing to share what information I have that led me to these conclusions.

Look forward to hearing from anyone.

Offline monkeyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Children of William Edmund (Senior) Of Herberdeg Farm, Five Roads
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 18:42 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry I have no info on your Edmund family but I'm interested in the address - Herberdeg farm.  It is named in the Will of a chap on my family tree, Philip Vaughan of Carmarthen 1757-1824; he was proprietor of Kidwelly tinworks for a time.  He left 'Green Hall', 'Herberteg' and 'Tynyrhoel' [that spelling can't be right but the handwriting looks like this] to his children. The will was written in 1818.  I believe he lived for a time at Green Hall [tho' not at Herberdeg]. The 1881 Census says Philip Arthur Vaughan [his grandson] and family were farming at Green Hall then [but not 1871 or 1891]. Do you have any info on the dates when Herberdeg was bought by PV or sold by his family?
Do you know the name of present occupiers [I could ask to see any deeds they might have - it can work if you ask nicely!]

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 September 10 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, I have been away on holiday. Sorry I can't help you much. I know it was in the possession of William Edmund in 1833 as  William Edmund is listed in the register of electors for 1833 for the Commott of Carnawllon as having the feehold lease to "Kerberdeg" Farm which must be a misspelling of Herberdeg. So sometime before then. You could try e-mailing archives@carmarthenshire.gov.uk  for help. I believe they have register of electors from earlier years and by searching these you should be able to find out when ownership changed. But unless you pay them (I am not sure how much they charge) it will probably require an arranged visit to

CARMARTHENSHIRE RECORD OFFICE.
Parc Myrddin
Richmond Terrace
Carmarthen
SA31 1DS

Telephone 01267 228232

for you to search through the registers. If you have any succes please let me know.

Sorry I have no idea who owns it now, but the address in Google is Herberdeg Rd, Pontyates, Llanelli, Dyfed SA15 5UR, UK, so you could try writing to them.

Moderator comment: email address amended to prevent spamming.  Please replace [at] with @

Offline monkeyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 September 10 11:00 BST (UK) »
Good to have your reply and hope you enjoyed your holiday.  I shall need to visit Carmarthen as you suggest, and check out some electoral records. It will be a trip down memory lane for me as I believethe Record Office is housed in what used to be Queen Elizabeth Grammar School where I spent 7 happy [?] years 1944-51.
Also, looking in BT phonebook I find one 'M. Edmunds'living in Five Roads - tel. no. 01269 860486. Do you know this person? could be a relation! I'm willing to phone up unless you've already made contact.  What do you think?
Phil

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 September 10 11:37 BST (UK) »
http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=5673

Found on this site. Just click Cambrian Index search to search the site.
You can get the Swansea library to photcopy the actual article

Cambrian C10 DEATHS, DEATH NOTICES
 07 June 1834 MR WILLIAM EDMUND OF HENBERDEG,LLANELLY,CARMS 
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 September 10 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for this. This is something I have already stumbled upon. It states his death date was 26 Msy 1834 and that he was "of advanced age"