Author Topic: Church Records, Newtownards N.I.  (Read 14693 times)

Offline megmooney

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Church Records, Newtownards N.I.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 September 11 03:59 BST (UK) »
I was interested in the mention of Isabella Bohill.
My g grandfather John Mooney was a stone mason and rangesetter
He came from Dublin to Newtownards, Co Down, to install kitchen ranges in the big houses.
The kitchen in Lord Dunleath's house, Ballywalter Park was renovated in the early 1850's, and we wondered if the Great Dublin Industrial exhibition of 1853 was where John Mooney was recruited. There was a Mooney stand at this.
John Mooney married Roseanne Murray in St Patrick's Newtownards June 1861 , and settled there.
He died 1887 aged c63.
Roseanne (Murray) Mooney is in the census for Newtownards and died around Nov. 1911. Census said she was born in Downpatrick. The grave beside my g grandparents in Movilla Cemetery was registered to a John Murray.
A John Murray & Jane Hay had children baptised N'ards. Sponsor for Margaret b23-10-1864 was Isabella Bohill. John Murray & Jane Hay married St Mark's Newtownards 1855, but didn't find earlier baptisms?
Roseanne's mother is in Griffith's Valuations living in Church St Newtownards.

Offline megmooney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 September 11 05:11 BST (UK) »
Headstone on grave beside ours Movilla is for John Murray b 1910 father Pat Murray mother Phoebe McGinnis. In census for Ballygraffin townland.
He died 7th Jan 1981 His wife Ellie died 13th March 1986.

Patrick Murray Ballycranmore m Phoebe McGinnis of Ballycranmore in Ballycran (Mount St Joseph's)
B8 P23 No242 31-10-1906
Fathers John Murray dec. peddlar John McGinnis dec. labourer
Witnesses John Magee Mary Murray

Pat's parents as far as I know (baptisms in St Patrick's Newtownards a bit confusing) John Murray 39  labourer Ballycranmore M Nancy Crawford 28 housewife Kirkistown in M. St Joseph's
B6 P 26 No 51 1882
Fathers John Murray peddlar living James Crawford dec.
Witnesses James Carpenter & Nancy Smyth..

Offline karhel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 October 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi megmooney
Apologies for not replying.   
Looking at your post 03.59   mentioning Isabella Bohill.  My Isabella, father Thomas, was married to James Quinn, 1873. Annie Quinn being the familys Grandmother.    Do you know anything about  Isabella.   I was hoping to find a birth - I understand around Newtownards,Co.Down. c1850

Also I was interested in John Mooney Stonemason.    My g.grandfather was Thomas FitzGerald who was a Stonemason.   born in Dublin c1823. and died around 1873???

You may find some info on John Mooney in the 'Dictionary of Irish Architects' where I was given (if the correct person) some info on 2 Thomas FitzGeralds.

karhel
Glennon, Dublin.      Edwards, Chester
Murray, Manchester

Offline megmooney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Karhel,

Just found this other message.
I was at St Patrick's Newtownards a few weeks ago.
I didn't really find anything new.

The records don't go far enough back to get Isabella's birth, and I couldn't see them myself, to look for clues.

There were Bohills and Murrays in the census for Downpatrick, and in Griffith's as well, I think, so I wondered if Isabella and my Murrays were neighbours there at one time.
Catholic records there aren't good either.

Some Murrays in N'Ards have  connections with Kilcairn Graveyard Killinchey.

The priest seems to think the grave next to ours belonged to John Murray & Jane Hay, although I found another possible John Murray, wife Margaret. I haven't found a marriage or births in Newtownards that fit for this couple.
In those days Comber & Bangor R. C. records were in with St Patrick's.

St Marks have no baptism's before c 1885, but St Pat's have some prior to 1864.
A different Murray Baptism had an Annie Quinn as sponsor.
John Murray b 31-08-1864 parents Michael Murray & Mary Ward sponsor Annie Quinn.

I'll let you know if I find more re Isabella Bohill.

Offline karhel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 November 11 13:38 GMT (UK) »
HI, thanks for the info.   I don't think the Annie Quinn is mine.    Annie Quinn with mother Isabella Bohill, wasn't born until 1880 and then came to England, marrying my grandfather, whose name, you can't believe, was Jonny Murray, but from Manchester.
just a coincidence!!!!
Perhaps you may come across info on Isabella Bohill, or as I've seen it, spelt Bohan.

Thank you
Karhel.
Glennon, Dublin.      Edwards, Chester
Murray, Manchester

Offline megmooney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 November 11 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Karhel, I think the Annie Quinn may have been one of the Quinn family from Ann St Newtownards. They were there for many years.

My maternal g grandparents were George Drysdale and Annie Quinn!!! G g grandfather was James Quinn of Cloughey.
His will is on the PRONI site.
George and Annie are in the census, and lived at that time near "my" John Murray who was born 1910.

The Newtownards Quinns thought they were related to my g grandmother, but we never compared notes.

I have seen the name "Bohill" also spelled "Boal"& "Bole".

Will look out for Isabella.

My first message dissappeared for some reason, so it may show up too!

Offline megmooney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Karhel,
Haven't done much more research, but I bought a book "A Chronicle of Comber The Town of Thomas Andrews shipbuilder " by Desmond Rainey and Laurence Spence, published by the Ulster Historical Foundation.
There is a photo of workers at Comber Flax Spinning Mill 1873.
A Bella Bohil is mentioned, among others, as working in the reeling room.
It's a pity the workers in the photo aren't identified.

Regards,
Meg

Offline Robbie Cole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 08:08 BST (UK) »
Karhel: I'm not sure if you still frequent this site, but I believe that we have a number of shared relations from Belfast - I'm currently looking into my mother's family, and during a search for Isabella Quinn Bohal came across your query.

My mother b. 1944, who lived in the Newtonards area - had parents John Curley and Cecilia Quinn. Cecilia Quinn's parents were James Quinn and Isabella Quinn Bohal, with father Patrick Quinn born 1st September 1874 - which is another exact match for your query! Apparently Isabella came from a very proper family, so you weren't allowed to call her 'Bella' - it was the full name or nothing :-)

Both of my mother's parents passed away within 6 months of each other around 1962, and she and her sister came over to stay with relatives in Manchester for a short while. She's 70 this year and has a sudden interest in finding out what happened to everyone that she lost touch with both in Ireland and the UK. we have a lot more detail about her father's family, so she's asked me to start digging into her mother's side.

Would you mind dropping me a message please when you're online - I'm a newbie so can't send you a direct message, any info very much appreciated!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
What a great first post that will hopefully prove fruitful.

Karhel's profile indicate's they were still active on site as recently as February this year, so hopefully they will reply soon (as they should receive an email saying a post has been made to this thread).

Meantime, as your mum is still alive, it is probably best that you amend your post to remove her name (it's Rootschat policy that members don't post details of living persons).

:)

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .