Author Topic: Harington Redfern India Canada  (Read 5463 times)

Offline dhhound

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harington Redfern India Canada
« on: Friday 16 July 10 17:34 BST (UK) »
I hoping someone can help in tracking the name of the only daughter of Hastings Norman Victor
Harington, b 1855 Hourah, Bengal, India, m 1881 to Anna Mary Philson, in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.

They had three children, William Guy Harington b1885 d 1917 Mesopotamia, Hastings Roy Harington
b 1888 d 1942 London and the unknown daughter, who marries a Major Alan Redfern and in 1929 was living at "The Pines" Frosterdeen, Wangford, Suffolk. She had two children, Guy A T Redfern b 1917, and Thomas B Redfern b 1921

HNV Harington married again in 1909 in Bombay to Edith Redfern b 1878 - relation to his son in law ?. He retired in 1910 and they moved to England where Edith gave birth to Leonard P Harington.

HNV Harington then bought apple orchards in Edgewood, British Columbia, but it seems this was largely a real estate scam as although you could grow apples there, the land still needed to be cleared. HNV moves to Edgewood permanently in Apr 1914 after a visit in 1913. Edith and Leonard join him in Aug 1914, but life in a small backwoods village in the Kootenays can't have agreed with her and she and Leonard return to England in 1916, and then leave for Southern Rhodesia with Leonard in 1920 where she works as a civil servant. Records indicate her relative in England as Alan F Redfern of Eastbourne, Sussex, whether this is another Alan, possibly father to the Alan who married the daughter, or is the same Alan who married the daughter is unknown.

HNV makes several trips across the Atlantic in the 1920's and dies in Edgewood in 1930.

The family's comings and goings are pretty well documented in the various passenger lists, but the daughter is difficult to identify.

Many of the Redferns and the Haringtons served with the Gurkha regiments in both World Wars, so this is cross posted in the Suffolk section

Thank you for any light anyone can shed on this

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Harington Redfern India Canada
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 July 10 17:57 BST (UK) »
and the unknown daughter, who marries a Major Alan Redfern and in 1929 was living at "The Pines" Frosterdeen, Wangford, Suffolk. She had two children, Guy A T Redfern b 1917, and Thomas B Redfern b 1921

Marriage 1929 - children b 1917/1921 - is there an error in these dates?

A copy of one of the childrens birth certs will give her christian name - both are on freebmd.  I can't see any other way of getting the info as there is no marriage on freebmd so suspect they married abroad
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 July 10 18:07 BST (UK) »
Records indicate her relative in England as Alan F Redfern of Eastbourne, Sussex

The 1911 index has an Alan Faulkner Redfern b 1881 living in Eastbourne.  Appears to be with parents - other household members were Agnes Grace Redfern b 1852 and Thomas Robert Redfern b 1848

I am sending you a pm
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dhhound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 July 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
Carole, sorry I wasn't clear. The 1929 date came from a passenger list that shows her as the contact for HNV in his visit to England in 1929. I think the marriage was probably 1914 or so, could be a result of the coming of WW1. I haven't found them in the 'incoming' lists, possibly they came by troopship.
I need to clarify in my own mind whether the Alan Redfern she married is the same Alan F Redfern you mention. But if they are it would mean that Edith is visiting her DIL after leaving her (Edith's) husband in Canada.  Potentially a frosty visit one would think.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 July 10 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry - it was my error when reading your post.  You didn't say the marriage was in 1929 - I missed the "and" 
who marries a Major Alan Redfern and in 1929 

In view of the info I have sent you by pm - it's very likely this couple married in India

At least if you get a copy of one of the childrens birth certs, it will give her christian name

Offline dhhound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 July 10 21:16 BST (UK) »
Yes, that looks like its the way.

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 July 10 00:44 BST (UK) »
The unknown sister's name was Mary Marjorie or Marjorie Mary.

She was married twice, firstly to Edward Hornby OVANS, Jun qtr 1910, Kensington.

Second marriage was to Alan F REDFERN, Sep qtr 1916, Eastbourne, which is where Guy's birth was registered in 1917.

E H OVANS was a Captain in the 125th Napier Rifles and died 23 May 1915 according to CWGC website.

St Peter Cranley Gardens, Kensington
1910 Jun 15
Edward Hornby OVANS, 27, bachelor, Lt 125th Napiers Rifles Indian Army, 15 Selwood Place SW, father John Warnbent Ovans (deceased), Solicitor
Mary Marjorie HARINGTON, 24, spinster, -, 75 Enys Road Eastbourne, father Lt Col Harington IMS, Lt Colonel Indian Medical Service
Married after Banns
He signed as Edward Hornby Ovans, she signed as Marjorie Mary Harington
In presence of Henry Octavius Plews, Vere Katherine Collard, plus a couple of others whose names are illegible.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 July 10 01:07 BST (UK) »
The Times, Thursday, Mar 25, 1915; pg. 1
OVANS - On 23rd March, at Boscombe, CAPTAIN EDWARD HORNBY OVANS, 125th Napier's Rifles, youngest son of the late J. L. and Mrs Ovans, of East Sheen, Surrey, aged 32 years. Indian papers - please copy.

The Times, Friday, Feb 23, 1945; pg. 1
REDFERN - Missing, now reported killed in air operations over France, in July, 1944, W/O ALAN TIMOTHY REDFERN, Bomber Command, R.A.F., son of the late Mrs Marjorie Redfern and of Major Alan Redfern, Eastbourne

Died 6 July according to a later article.

Looks like Alan F REDFERN died Jun 1968 Eastbourne, aged 87. Mary M REDFERN died Dec qtr 1934, Eastbourne, aged 52

Ian C

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 July 10 01:30 BST (UK) »
1891 census
Sherborne Lodge, Cheltenham
William PHILSON, head mar 72, Physician, born Ireland
Eliza J PHILSON, wife mar 66, born Suffolk, Ipswich
Mary HARRINGTON, grand dau 9, Scholar, born India
William G HARRINGTON, grand son 5, Scholar, born Glo'ster, Cheltenham
+ 3 servants
RG12/2047/84/4

William G is at school in Cheltenham in 1901, but can't see Mary so she may have been in India.

Ian C