Author Topic: Christopher Smith  (Read 7711 times)

Offline rootbeer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christopher Smith
« on: Saturday 17 July 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
hi im looking for info on Christopher Smith, he was married to Mary Shaw and then Patince Lovell, i know his children but would like to know of
witch smiths he was? it was said he was cousin of Bartholomew Smith . he was known as one arm Christopher Smith. hope someone can help all
the best :).

all the census info i have below fingers X.

DETAILS OF HOUSE HOLD ALL B ENGLAND

1901 in a Travelling Caravan (The Inches), Aberdeen
Christopher Smith 69  hd Hawker
Patience Smith 66  wife
John Smith 26  son
Thomas Smith 18  grandson
James Smith 15  grandson

1871 Upholland, Hall Green, Lancashire
(Day Moor ?Band of Gipsies
Christopher Smith 40
Mary Smith 30
Christopher Smith 14
Thomas Smith 12
Clairess Smith 10
Charlot Smith 8
Headgan Smith 6
Henry Smith 4...... Patience dad
Cathrine Smith 3
Thomas Toogood 60
Mary "" wife 50

census 1881 Earsdon Tynemouth Northumberland * Address Sheilds Road 1
lrg van & Cart
Christropher Smith 46 b West Ardsley Yorkshire Licensed Hawker
Mary 43 b Worcestershire
Chrisatropher 22 b Burslem Staffordshire
Tom 22 b Burslem Staffordshire
Cornelius 21 b Tunstal Staffordshire
Charlotte 18 b  Stoke Staffordshire
Edingale 17 b Longton Staffordshire
Henry 12 b  Eagle lincoln
James 10 b Blackpool lancashsire
John 8 b Barrow in Furness Lancashire
Isabella 4 b Barrow in furness Lancashirer

Offline social-butterflies

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Smith
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 July 10 19:39 BST (UK) »
hi there,
i have them lsited as the "cambridgeshire smiths"
but i have siblings  : amy, eizeikle, christopher, corneilius, woodlock & bartholemew all children of james smith & elizabeth odell.
these are not my own findings just info that some other kind person passed onto me so am not sure of the exact details but i hope ti gives a bit of a clus for you to search with :)
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
smith (inc epping forest)
heron
bibby

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 July 10 20:03 BST (UK) »
hello again rootbeer,
found this amazing site,

romresearch.wetpaint.com/

it mentions a 1 armed christopher smith :) kushti bok
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
heron
bibby

Offline rootbeer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 July 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi aa1 Web thank you very much :D this should be a massive help and i never new who any of one arm Chrissys siblings was'
i have been on the Romanyreserch website i got some very good help'
do you know is these Smith were conected to Rodny Smith? on Romanyreserch it said Christopher was conected with the Rodney Smith but through Christophers wife Mary Shaw but i wonder if Chrissy and Rodney Smith might have been from the same stock,
but thanks again for that info. all the best Lee

hi there,
i have them lsited as the "cambridgeshire smiths"
but i have siblings  : amy, eizeikle, christopher, corneilius, woodlock & bartholemew all children of james smith & elizabeth odell.
these are not my own findings just info that some other kind person passed onto me so am not sure of the exact details but i hope ti gives a bit of a clus for you to search with :)

Offline rootbeer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 July 10 21:27 BST (UK) »
So if im right(wich would be a first) Rodney father was Christophers brother Cornelius?   ???

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 August 10 16:36 BST (UK) »
yep, you are right :) rodney as in the evangelist .
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
heron
bibby

Offline rootbeer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi its me again i have been serching for info since i learned of Christophers family but i have got a couple of qestion marks as bellow..

this passage bellow from GLS Journals

Old ' one-armed ' Chris, who was buried at Wigton in 1912 with a sod of turf on his breast, travelled chiefly in Westmorland, ... A descendant of Bartholomew, uncle of the preacher Rodney Smith and himself a convert and evangelist claimed that Chris was a cousin of Bartholomew , ...

i have read on here Christopher uncle of Rodney was wed to Rhoda Smith?
but my Christopher was wed to Mary Shaw and Patience Lovell?

and i have read on another bord..

Christopher Smith s/o Bathwell and Charlotte Smith, 23 Feb 1834, Brothertoft, Lincs.
could Bathwell be Bartholomew?

am i on the wrong track or is my Christopher son of Bartholomew
witch would make him Rodneys cousin??

hope you can help:0)

Offline smileyface471686

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 August 10 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi its me again i have been serching for info since i learned of Christophers family but i have got a couple of qestion marks as bellow..

Old ' one-armed ' Chris, who was buried at Wigton in 1912 with a sod of turf on his breast, travelled chiefly in Westmorland, ... A descendant of Bartholomew, uncle of the preacher Rodney Smith and himself a convert and evangelist claimed that Chris was a cousin of Bartholomew , ...

Christopher who married Rhoda Smith (my gt gt grandmother) was brother to cornelius and Bartholomew and uncle to Rodney the Evangalist

Christopher Smith s/o Bathwell and Charlotte Smith, 23 Feb 1834, Brothertoft, Lincs.

Christopher who married Rhoda (my gt gt grandmother, Christopher was her 3rd husband) he was brother to Cornelius and Bartholomew and uncle to Rodney

Offline ScallyW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 August 10 16:31 BST (UK) »

Just to put in my 2 cents worth on this subject.....  from how I read the above passage from the GLS Journal is that an descendant (unknown) of Bartholomew claimed that Christopher and Bartholomew were cousins.  This may be true in some way but it's useful to bear in mind that back then they probably wouldn't have quantified exactly how people were cousins as we do today.  Today we call someone a cousin if they are children of our aunts & uncles and we use 2nd/3rd cousins (plus numerical removals) to explain their exact connection.  Somehow I get the feeling that in other eras all offspring of ancestors would have been called cousins if they were in the same generation.  Also, as I haven't read the whole passage, can anyone confirm that the Bartholomew Smith referred to in it, is in fact the one that everyone seems to assume it means - that of the brother to Rodney Smith's father?  Maybe there existed another Bartholomew Smith and it was this man's funeral that was witnessed and quoted on in the GLS passage shown on Romresearch...?

Rodney Smith's father, Cornelius, certainly did have a brother called Christopher (and another called Bartholomew) but Christopher's wives were Elizabeth Albone and Rhoda Smith.  I personally have no record of there being two other wives, nor of him having a son called Christopher as shown in the census reports copied at the beginning of this thread.

With the tendency there was to use the same names, it's not improbably that another line of Smiths came down alongside that of James Smith (father to Christopher, Cornelius, Bartholomew, etc, and g/father to Rodney Smith) that had the same names in them and it would seem logical that this could be the line that One-armed Christopher belonged to.

If your Christopher was born circa 1830 (as per the below census records) and Rodney Smith's uncle Bartholomew (the one we know about, at least - the brother of his father) was born circa 1836, then I would say the answer to that is no.  Even given that the census records may be out a year or two and the knowledge that baptisms sometimes took place a while after the birth, I don't think we can assume that Bartholomew fathered a child as a newborn himself.  I know gypsies are meant to be virile but that's taking it too far.   ;)

It could be that this 'Bathwell' is a lateral descendant so tracing his line back might find a connection to the other Christopher Smith.

Regards
ScallyW

Paternal family names: Lee & Smith
Maternal family names: Hollis, Lambert, Donaghue & Osborne.