Author Topic: Christopher Smith  (Read 7712 times)

Offline rootbeer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Smith
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 August 10 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi and thank you for the replies' i was hoping my Christopher was the brother of Bartholomew and Cornilius if only to solve my puzzle but i agree im still got a lot to find out??
the source of the GLS info was as follows..

James Allison, whose maternal grandfather was closely akin to the deceased He instanced its observance on the death of Bartholomew Smith, a cousin of Christopher's; and recalled how, one Isabella Smith, aunt to Shandres, and widow of Major Lovell's son, George, at Whiteinch in Scotland in,3 some of his mother's people wished to place a sod on her breast, but were forbidden to do so by her son, William.

George Lovell and Isabella Smith were the parents of Christopher's 2nd wife Patience Lovell.

the Allison's are still considered cousins through James today but that shows just how far apart cousins can still be called cousin and this does not help with Christopher and Bartholomew.

i have 3 birth dates for Christopher 1831..32..and 35  on difrent Census's

i have many hunches and but nothing as yet near rock solid any help would be fantastic,
i appreciate all your help, all the very best Lee

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 August 10 06:24 BST (UK) »

and i have read on another bord..

Christopher Smith s/o Bathwell and Charlotte Smith, 23 Feb 1834, Brothertoft, Lincs.
could Bathwell be Bartholomew?

am i on the wrong track or is my Christopher son of Bartholomew
witch would make him Rodneys cousin??

hope you can help:0)

Hi Lee, Bathwell Smith appears to be a completely seperate person - his name was Bathwell, and possibly used the alias Matthew, and the link to the name Bartholomew seems to come only from an 1861 census return. where his name may have been misheard by the enumerator.
He was baptised as Bathwell at Cold Higham Northamptonshire, s/o Thomas & Nancy in 1795- and you can check that out yourself on the IGI (familysearch.org)

His son Christopher, I dont have any further details on. His daughter Sarah married Levi Smith s/o James in 1861 at Nettleham, Lincs.

IF Bathwell also used the name Matthew (and personally I believe he did) his other children were Charlotte married Woodfine Smith s/o Zachariah at Blidworth in1853, and Harriette (or Trainette) married Abraham Gray and their family settled in North Kyme Lincs, and their gravestones can be found there.

Other issue include Constance b.cir 1836 Caythorpe, and Mary Ann b.cir 1848 married John Coy and Tom Carter.
also believed to belong to this family is Henry Smith b.cir 1842 who had a liason with Ellen (alias Dinah) Gray d/o my Christopher Gray.

Ann x

Offline rootbeer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 August 10 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann how you doing.

i think this Bathwell is my best candidate so far'  the birth dates match and whilst i was in that Liverpool Uni Archive i was flicking through some Smith info and found many references to One armed Chris mostly Chris giving info on other Smiths who were a lot of Rodneys family nick named the igg pig Smiths for eating ham?
as i flicked through the pages a tree came out with Bathwell and Woodlfine and Christopher was in the tree as son of Bathwell, as luck had it it was time to leave so i couldn't read into it any further,
so although just now im leaning towards this Bathwell i still need to dig deeper before i jump to any conclusions at all,

the truth is out there lol..take care

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 August 10 16:50 BST (UK) »
Im good babe :)

You need to get another lookie at that tree you found!

All I know about Bathwells suposed parentage is he was baptised at Cold Higham. Northants s/o Thomas and Nancy.
They also had a Brownetta baptised there in 1794, and apart from that the trail goes cold. So Im wondering now if Thomas and Nancy were not aliases?

Offline rootbeer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 August 10 01:53 BST (UK) »
Just a short post  im off to my bed i have it from a more than reliable sorce it is Bathwell i was looking for :D
thanks again for all your help :)

Offline rootbeer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 August 10 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann. iv been looking through some posts about Bathwell on another forum and seen you wrote this bellow' can you tell me if this still stands was your findings?
cheers :)

Zachariah Smith who had Matthew and Woodfine
Woodfine Smith who married Sarah Boswell in 1811 at Hillmorton
Edward Smith who married Elizabeth and had Edward and Frederick amongst others.
And Bathwell aka Matthew Smith, who had Constance Charlotte Christopher Harriett Sarah Henry and Mary Ann.
And if that is accurate, they are children of Thomas & Nancy according to Bathwells baptism, and he did indeed have a sister Brownetta/Brownette:

Theodosia Smith c.23.08.1816 d/o Wisdom & Brownette, Gypsies, at Sth Luffenham, Rutland

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann. iv been looking through some posts about Bathwell on another forum and seen you wrote this bellow' can you tell me if this still stands was your findings?
cheers :)

Zachariah Smith who had Matthew and Woodfine
Woodfine Smith who married Sarah Boswell in 1811 at Hillmorton
Edward Smith who married Elizabeth and had Edward and Frederick amongst others.
And Bathwell aka Matthew Smith, who had Constance Charlotte Christopher Harriett Sarah Henry and Mary Ann.
And if that is accurate, they are children of Thomas & Nancy according to Bathwells baptism, and he did indeed have a sister Brownetta/Brownette:

Theodosia Smith c.23.08.1816 d/o Wisdom & Brownette, Gypsies, at Sth Luffenham, Rutland

Youd have to read the thread involved in entirety as some data was provided by other people but that does seem to be the theory thus far, yes.

Offline teresamurphy100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 October 10 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi An65

I keep coming across your posts. you have obviously done lots of research and in an old thread you mentioned a webpage you had set up? Is it possible I can view this? I am interested in the same lines that you obviously know so much about. Mainly the Smith/Clayton and Heron/Gray links. I am a descendent of Trezi Ann Smith/ William Clayton (maternal side) and Eliza Heron/Osery Gray (paternal).  Im looking to get back as far as possible on both sides. Many thanks.
Teresa

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 October 10 10:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry my website was on Geocities and they shut down some time ago. I dont have a website anymore :(