Author Topic: Scottish Orphanage  (Read 31522 times)

Offline Venomous

• RootsChat Extra
  • The crest of HMS Venomous, a V&W Class destroyer
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Orphanage
« Reply #45 on: Monday 31 October 11 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Read here about the 26 French orphan girls evacuated by HMS VENOMOUS from Boulogne on the 22 May 1940 who spent five years at Smyllum Orphanage with their own French sisters and teachers: http://www.holywellhousepublishing.co.uk/Boulogne.html

Moderator comment - photographs removed to prevent possible copyright infringement , the photographs are available in the link[/blue]
The lives of those who served on HMS VENOMOUS or whose lives were changed by HMS VENOMOUS.

Offline Venomous

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 31 October 11 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I have been sent the death certificate of Louise Langlois who died aged 21 in January 1945 and is buried at Lanark.

She had lost both her parents and as a girl of 15 was one of the 26 French orpahns evacuated from Boulogne by HMS VENOMOUS on the day before the city fell to the Germans.

I would be very interested in hearing from anybody who remembered the orphans at Smyllum.
The lives of those who served on HMS VENOMOUS or whose lives were changed by HMS VENOMOUS.

Offline willieG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 17 December 11 12:41 GMT (UK) »
The link sums it up as I remember it all those years ago
   I was  in this  dark  place  as well  between   1968/1974   6yrs  of   my  life   Ruin    Have  no good  memories  that I  can  think  of  just  cruelity  and  angry  for  the  way   I  was treated    If anyone  wants  to   PM   me  I   would  be  grateful  as you  know  our  minds  are just  messed up   because  of  what  happen in there   WILLIEG

Offline willieG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 17 December 11 12:52 GMT (UK) »
IS  THERE ANYBODY  OUT  THERE  WHO  CAN HELP ME TRACE  SOME OF THE  CHILDREN  WHO WHERE IN SMYLLUM  PARK  HOME   BETWEEN   1968/1974   THESE  6YRS  I SPEND IN THERE  ARE  BLANK  OUT OF  MY  MEMORIES 

YOURS  FAITHFULLY  WILLIE 

PM  WITH  ANY HELP  I WAS  TOLD THERE  WAS A FIRE  AFTER I LEFT   1970  DONT  NO IF THIS  TRUE   CAN ONLY  REMEMBER  A  COUPLE  OF  NAMES  NO  FACES 

Offline willieG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 17 December 11 12:55 GMT (UK) »
IS  THERE  ANYWHERE  I CAN  CHECK  OUT   IMFORMATION   FROM  MY  PASS  IN  THIS  HOME   AND   HELP  ME  PUT MY  MIND  AT  REST   OR ANY  OTHER SITES  I CAN LOOK UP   WILLIEG     THANKS  AGAIN

Offline Venomous

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 17 December 11 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I thought readers might like to know that two of the French "children" who were rescued from Boulogne on the 22 May 1940 and spent five years at Smyllum Orphange returned to Lanark this year.

You can read about their visit & see some of their photographs at:  http://www.holywellhousepublishing.co.uk/Boulogne.html

They left Boulogne with the nuns and teachers who looked after them at the orphanage in Boulogne and spent five happy years far away from the war.

But they knew that some of the other children at Smyllum were not so fortunate ...

Read here about the 26 French orphan girls evacuated by HMS VENOMOUS from Boulogne on the 22 May 1940 who spent five years at Smyllum Orphanage with their own French sisters and teachers: http://www.holywellhousepublishing.co.uk/Boulogne.html

Moderator comment - photographs removed to prevent possible copyright infringement , the photographs are available in the link[/blue]

Offline willieG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 17 December 11 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for any help that anybody can give here. I know this is a hard subject for people to talk about.

I just want to put my mind at rest so I can get on. Anyone wants PM please don't hesitate, I am waiting to anwer any queries if I can.

WillieG

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 17 December 11 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Willie you could try contacting this website

http://www.incas.org.uk/memorialhistory.html

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 11:35 GMT (UK) »
http://www.incas.org.uk/burialslanarkcemetery.pdf

I am unsure about the comments in the end column 'Not found in Scotland'

I checked one of the names on SP death index

1870 CULLEN MARY JANE     Female aged 19 LANARK /LANARK

I checked one of the names without the same comment

Euphemia Monaghan
The date of death and age is correct and the cause of death was Scarlet fever 3 days as certified by the doctor

No parents names recorded but the 1871 census gives the place of birth as Caithness