Author Topic: Carroll family Pontlottyn  (Read 15004 times)

Offline bicardiqueen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carroll family Pontlottyn
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 August 10 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish18

Thanks very much for the info you gave me.  I think that was the 'other' family (or so I thought) that was on the census that I couldn't connect (I recognise Cornelius Carroll).

I also took some notes on my findings, the handwritten ones I cannot find, they were my way of trying to connect the jigsaw puzzle but I did type some up on Word.  I don't know if I'm way out, this is another possible connection:

My family tree:  John Carroll born about 1840 unknown married to a Mary born about 1841 in Pontlottyn.

Ancestry.com census 1871 shows a record of a John Carroll born about 1851 in Ireland with Parents Daniel Carroll born in Ireland about 1811, married to a Mary (possibly Reardon) about 1823.  Brother shown here called Patrick Carroll born about 1854 in Ebbw Vale.  Possibly a match???

This may be something or nothing!  :)

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 August 10 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi bicardiqueen,

Having spent the last week trying to make sense of the information I have, could you clarify something for me?

You said that the information you had so far was up to John Carroll born c1840.

Can you tell me how or where you found the information about John and his birth year of 1840? The only way I could get the name of Thomas & William Carroll's father was by obtaining Williams birth certificate.

Maybe I have missed something as I haven't found him on any census searches.

Regards

Trish18

Carroll - Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork
Hooley - Tattenhall, Cheshire
Lloyd - Gresford, Denbighshire
Platt - Wrexham, Denbighshire
Sullivan- Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork

Offline bicardiqueen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 August 10 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish18

I've had problems with my Internet over the last few weeks so thats why I haven't replied sooner.  I had information from a very distant relative on GenesReunited about the information that I have. I asked if they had any information on Thomas, William and Henrietta and the person told me that their father was John and mother Mary.  I guessed at their years of birth.  I have John down as unkown place of birth but Mary in Mallow, Ireland.  I don't know if this is true!

Offline nantan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 October 10 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
my grandmother was Katherine Carroll and she had sisters called Mary Johanna and brothers called Jerry patrick and Richie they l lived in Pontlottyn Bargoed and Rhymmney Valley.
My name is Tanya and I along with my family lived in 31 King Street Pontlottyn until approx 1955.
My Nan Katherine lived with her family in a place called Sodom which was an area near Pontlottyn Aunty Johannna lived in cross row which was between Sodom and Pontlottyn I didnt know Mary she was already dead by the time I was born (1951). We moved away from Wales when I was 10 yrs old
I dont know an awful lot about the family but I will assist in your search if possible.
Katherine my Grandmother went on to marry Thomas Walters and they had 3 children Aunty Violet  William(my Dad) and Aunty Betty all dead now..
As far as I know from family talking my Nan was known as Katy Carroll from County Cork.
Lots of Good Wishes in your search
Tanya Harris (nee) Walters

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 October 10 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya,

My grandfather was Jerry, Katy's brother. I think that makes us second cousins!

I have done quite a lot of research on the family and am, at present, researching one of Jerry & Katy's aunties who emigrated to America.

I have had quite a lot of information from my aunt, who is Jerry's daughter. I have often heard her mention her cousins, Billy & Violet, amongst others. She has a lovely photograph of Violet, taken when she was about four years old.

My aunt lived at Farm Road, Pontlottyn & her grandfather, William Carroll, lived at Croft's Row. She left South Wales when she was about nine years old.

I would love to find out any information on Johana, as I don't know if she married or had children. In fact I would be really interested in any information you may have about the family.

Regards

Trish

Offline nantan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 October 10 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish
I used to visit Auntie Johanna on my way to or back from visiting Nan(Catherine) in Sodom
Auntie Johanna  didn't have any children but when I knew her she was married to Uncle Emrys(Pritchard) he had a son called Gerald. 
Uncle Emrys or so I have been told was married to Mary - Nans sister but she became ill and Auntie Johanna nursed her until she died.
After she died Johanna married Emrys carried on looking after him and Gerald.
I have been speaking to my mum today about this and although she is 85yrs she remembers quite a lot.
She surprised me though when she told me that Johanna was not my Nans sister as I had always thought.
William Carroll had brought Johanna up because her mum had died tragically.
When he died Johanna remained in crofts row and had all belongings which upset all the family....
Have you already heard of anything about that.
I unfortunately have not got any family photographs to share with you we moved to Blackpool when I was Eleven and although Nan came to visit us there once and Auntie Joanna came a couple of times we lost touch.
I don't think I ever saw your Grandad (Jerry) but I did see Uncle Patrick a couple of times and Uncle Richie who married Elsie and as far as I know had no children either.
I hope I have given you some useful information to be going on with.
Take Care
Tanya

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 October 10 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya,

Thanks for some brilliant information. Since reading your last post I've managed to confirm quite a few facts.

Emrys Pritchard was married to Mary Griffiths (born about 1922). She was your nan's niece. Katys' sister, Mary Carroll, married Henry Griffiths in 1914. They had a daughter, also named Mary & it was she who married Emrys in 1939.
Sadly, she died in 1943, at the young age of 20, leaving Gerald who must have been about 2 years old. I have been told that her mother, Mary, who was Katy's sister, was murdered by her husband, possibly about 1941. I don't know if you know anything about this?

I did know about Johannah living at Croft's Row when William died. The information I have is that when he died in 1941, Mrs Keneally, a neighbour, came to lay out the body. (Sorry to be so graphic!) It was she who found thousands of pounds underneath the mattress! By the time William's sons & daughters arrived, the money had gone & Johannah was the suspect!

The family could not afford to pursue the matter through the courts, so there goes any inheritance that may have come our way!

By the way, Emrys did not marry Johannah until 1957. I just hope it was worth the wait, that is if she hadn't spent all her ill gotten gains by then.

I was aware that Johannah was not Jerry & Katy's sister. I am trying to find out who her mother was. At the moment I think she may have been the illegitimate daughter of William Carroll's younger sister, Henrietta, who I think may have died in 1909.

I would welcome any more information you may have Tanya, as it certainly helps a lot.

Kind Regards

Trish

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 October 10 09:26 BST (UK) »
Congratulations on finding your link!  :D

Polite request though - please don't discuss people who are still alive - this is against Rootschat policy as we try to protect their privacy and prevent identity theft and other capers.  You should both be able to use the Personal Message system now.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 October 10 10:48 BST (UK) »
Will do Arranroots.

Regards

Trish