Author Topic: Renfrewshire photographs  (Read 24196 times)

Offline edowds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Renfrewshire photographs
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Stephen what a generous offer. If by any chance you are in a cemetary in Greenoch (WEST?) not sure. I should have relatives there William McLean d. 1887 39 years wife Margeret Blackburn(she wont be there) son of Hugh McLean and Jean Bryce also Alexander Blackburn and Jean McIntosh d. 1861 and 1883 respectively formerly of Lochwinnoch.
In Lochwinnoch George McIntosh wife Jean Jamieson born late 1700's died ?????
John Blackburn wife Ann Wallace b. 1780'ish. died ???????
I don't know if there is enough info to find anyone and I'm not expecting anything so no pressure.
Wish I could be there to look myself - would be such fun. One day maybe.
Cheers from Down Under NZ

Shaza

Looking at the BMD for the Greenock Telegraph - your McLeans ...............

McLEAN A son to Mr and Mrs William Bryce McLean, born at Octavia Buildings, West Blackhall Street,
Greenock on 4th March 1880 (Greenock Telegraph 05.03.1880)

McLEAN William Bryce McLean, gardener, husband of Margaret Blackburn, died at Smithston on 20th
May 1887 (Greenock Telegraph 21.05.1887)

McLEAN William Bryce McLean, gardener, to Maggie, third daughter of late Alex Blackburn,
Lochwinnoch, at Octavia Buildings, West Blackhall Street, Greenock on 5th June 1879 by
Reverend C Durward (Greenock Telegraph 09.06.1879)

McLEAN Jane Bryce, wife of Hugh McLean, gardener, died at 123 Watt Street, Greenock on 13th March
1874 (Greenock Telegraph 14.03.1874)

BLACKBURN Jane McIntosh, widow of Alex Blackburn, formerly of Lochwinnoch, died at 17 Cathcart St.,
Greenock on 24th Jan 1883 (Greenock Telegraph 25.1.1883)

Inverclyde BMD here .................
http://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/tourism-and-visitor-attractions/local-history-and-heritage/watt-library-births-marriages-deaths-index

1881 Census- 17 Cathcart St, Middle Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
(Mrs) BLACKBURN, widow, 61, Lochwinnoch, Renfrew, Scotland
dau. Alexandrina BLACKBURN, unmarried, 19, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland, Servant

1881 Census- 26 West Blackhall St, West Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
William MC LEAN, married, 28, Inverary, Argyll, Scotland, Gardener
wife Margaret MC LEAN, married, 22, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
son Hugh MC LEAN, 1, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland

Regards
Eddie

Offline edowds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Stephen,

When you are out and about in Greenock cemetary I wonder if you would be so kind as to let me know if you come upon a 'Tomney' grave.

My great great grandmother Mary Tomney died in 1879 and my great great grandfather John Tomney died in 1885, I believe that they are both  buried in Greenock cemetary.

They were both Irish born, moving to England in 1851 and then to Scotland by 1861 where they ended their days. My great great grandfather was a clothiers broker and had a shop at 36 Shaw Street Greenock. Their religion was Roman Catholic and they apparently worshiped at St Lawrences Church.

Also, if you do happen to come upon their grave, I would be most interested to know whether any of their children were buried with them.

I know it's a long shot but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Jean.

Hi Jean

From the Greenock Telegraph BMD

TOMNAY Mary Welsh, wife of John Tomnay, died at 39 Dalrymple street, Greenock in May 1879.
(Greenock Telegraph 17.5.1879)

TOMNAY John Tomnay, baker & outfitter, father of William, died at 36 Shaw Street, Greenock in
April 1885. (Greenock Telegraph 25.4.1885)

BMD's here
http://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/tourism-and-visitor-attractions/local-history-and-heritage/watt-library-births-marriages-deaths-index

1881 Census- 36 Shaw St, Middle Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
John TOMMEY, wid., 60, Ireland, Clothiers Broker
dau. Elizabeth POWER, married, 25, Ireland, Saleswomen
dau. Margaret TOMMEY, unmarried, 21, England, Assistant In Shop

So from the BMD they had a son William and on the census was 2 daughters Elizabeth & Margaret.

Happy Hunting
Eddie

Offline jannic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 October 10 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stephen,

Thankyou for posting this kind offer.  If you find yourself near Johnstone cemetery would you be so kind as to see if there are graves marked to the following people.  I am led to understand that Thomas was a general contractor & quarry owner and a built a house named "Skiffview" so it is likely that they could afford a grave and monument.

Thomas BLACK c1840 - 28/10/1907 and his wife
Christine McFarlane BLACK 1841 - 14/4/1915

Their children
Ludovic 1872-1933
Thomas 1879-1882
Walter 1882-1945
may also be there too, if there is a marked grave and you find it I would deeply appreciate a photo of it.

Many thanks,
Jan

ps, I live in South Wales and would be happy to return the favour.
STALLWOOD
SCREEN
SHINGLETON
STADDON
NORTHOVER

Offline jannic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 January 11 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Please ignore the above post, I have now paid someone for the photograph.

Jan
STALLWOOD
SCREEN
SHINGLETON
STADDON
NORTHOVER

Offline LuRose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 February 11 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Stephen you are a good Genie  !!

I would like for you to find the graves of Allan Alexander Ochiltree and wife, Marion Euing .  They both were born in Renfrew Allan 1730 and Maryon 1733.  They had three sons, Matthew, Michael and Alexander,  two daughters, Mary and Elizabeth.  The five siblings left Scotland for America after Culloden and before the American Revolutionary War settling in the VA or Del...states...

The parents, Allan and Marion ..stayed behind..  I am so hoping they always lived in Renfrew and that you can find their graves. 

If you ever need a look up from Texas, let me know and I will return the favor..

Thank you..

LuRose
Uchiltre, MacUchtraigh of Gall, Tyrone Ire, Ochiltree, Williams. MacDonald

Offline kathleendaley60

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 19:59 GMT (UK) »
hi was wondering if you find a grave of Agnes diffin killed in Albert  harbour  greenock 17/04/1887

all so Richard diffin 1899

and Teressa diffin 1887  any photos of the grave would be most grate full

kearsley/baker/hayward /campbell/row/woor/dutch/Daley

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 March 11 19:42 GMT (UK) »
I have a lot of Cathcart family members that were born Abbey Renfrewshire.  They stayed in that area until death most of them.  Walter Cathcart was a "goods carrier" Married Charlotte Cathcart nee Caldwell Abbey Renf address "Smith Hills"  Walter died in 1839 Abbey residence was "silk street" His grandson died and his residence listed as "silk street"  too.   The cathcarts also lived on "8 Old Sneddon Street Paisly Middle parish"  Also a "Cannal Street"    One of his kids were married in the "Parish of Cathcart"  Only one Grandson Walter Cathcart that I know of lists the burial in ' Paisley Cemetery"  Died on 1859 before his father Robert died and after his Mother Marion Cathcart nee Storie died.  It would be nice if they were all buried together there.  If you happen to run across any old pictures from that time frame, I would love to see them.  Sometimes in my old antique shops here they have photo's of families, so you never know.  I would be happy to pay for them.

Elliot, Mullen, Colquhoun, Smith, Moore, Coleman, Marshall, Hall, Dale, Galbraith, Cathcart, Gibson, Taylor, Lawson McGeachie, Caldwell

Scotland, West Lothian  Lanarkshire, Paisley, Glasgow,  Ireland,  Armagh, Donegal

Offline twitter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 March 11 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen
Thank you for making such a kind and thoughtful offer. If and when you have the time would you take a photograph of a house, I 'm guessing it's a house, at # 25 Bruce Street in Greenock. This in 1881 was the family home of the Sinclair Family. There was John, a mason, his wife Margaret and their six kids. Within 10 years the father, mother and eldest son all die, and by 1891 the remaining kids under the direction of their 19 year old brother have moved to 33 Nelson Street Greenock. The little one Jane appears to have been farmed out (adopted) to a lady of independent means. After 1891 all go their separate ways, some to Canada, some stay in Scotland and who knows what happened to Jane. The picture would give me an idea of what the living conditions were like for them. I also have a question where is the most like place they would have been buried, as I have no clue. Again thank you for your very kind offer.
From Canada
Twitter
scotland-sinclair, woodburn, crozier, shearer
ireland- kildare-murphy
northern ireland-giffen

Offline elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 April 11 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Twitter
I dont like to but in on Stephen's posts
but I can save him time by telling you there are no houses
left on Bruce Street, I am not sure when they were all demolished
but it must have been quite a long time ago as I can't remember any
being there, the buildings would have been tenements
if you google Bruce Street Greenock you will see the area on the google maps
the photo's on this site will give you an Idea of what the area was like
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0cjy/

Elaine
Inverclyde council burials department would be able to give you
details of were they were buried most likely (Greenock Cemetery)

Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison