Author Topic: Grant family  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Carmarthengirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grant family
« on: Monday 26 July 10 19:10 BST (UK) »
Sometime between 1895 and 1900 my 2x great grandmother Eliza J Newton emigrated to Kingston (Rexton)
NB with her daughter Ena Newton.
Ena married John Grant (don't know when) and in 1899 Frederic William David Robert Newton Grant was born.
I have found the family on the 1901 census. Eliza died in 1901 and Ena in 1904.
In 1911 John and Frederic are living at Nicholas River, but what happend after that?
I have tried the provincial archives for NB but can't find a marriage or death for either.
Does anyone have any ideas where I should look next please?  ???

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Grant family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 03:16 BST (UK) »
Hello

I believe Ena is Eva after looking at the church record for birth of Frederick William David Robert Newton Grant, born January 22, 1899 at (Molus) River to John Grant shoemaker and Eva. Dr. Doherty accoucheur
Religion: Catholique
Place of Worship or Institution: Kent, comté de (Bureau de Santé de Richibouctou Naissances)

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 03:43 BST (UK) »
Looking at her burial record it is also Eva.
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 06:04 BST (UK) »
I found Eliza is buried in the Richibucto Protestant Cemetery (Anglican and United Church Cemetery ~ Richibucto). There are also Grants, but not those here. You may want to try and contact the church/cemetery to see if your Grants are there.

St. Andrews United is in Richibucto.
http://www.411.ca/directory/New-Brunswick/Richibucto/Religious-Organizations.html

NEWTON, Eliza Jane  died June 6 1901  aged 72
wife of  John J NEWTON
http://www.richibucto.org/en/index.php

Linda

Offline Carmarthengirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda

Thank you very much for the information that you found for me. Much appreciated!

Gwyneth

Offline Carmarthengirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda

Thanks for finding out where Eliza is buried. (Perhaps one day I'll be lucky enough to visit the cemetery for myself).

It looks as though I've got some sorting out to do now as the Ena/Eva and John Grant, parents of Frederick Wm D R N Grant might not be the family I want after all.

I Know that Ena is definitely Ena because I have seen letters from Canada, sent by Eliza and Ena to my great grandfather in Wales.
I also know that Eliza was Scotch Prebyterian (not Catholic), and according to the 1901 census so were the Grants.
So I must go back to my notes yet again to check my facts. ???

Thanks again for your help.
Gwyneth

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 July 10 00:41 BST (UK) »
Your welcome Gwyneth.

From the Provincial Archives there is a record that indicates Eva Grant was born Cardiff. There may not have been a local protestant church.

Eva Grant Death 1904: http://www.rootschat.com/links/09bs/

Linda

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 August 10 02:40 BST (UK) »
Marriage date is August 31, 1896. The groom & bride part of the pages are missing for this marriage and for many other marriages during this time frame. Groom's parents are James & Mary Ann for which John Grant's are. The residence & place of birth of groom is Nicholas River where your John and Ena/Eva are.

The birth of Frederick in 1899 must not be RC as indexed on Ancestry. Must be an indexing error. I see from the 1901 census that John Grant's occupation is shoe maker and he is born N.B. with son Roy born Jan 22, 1899, the same birth date as the Frederick William David (Robert could be Roland?) Newton born to a John Grant shoe maker and Eva (Ena) Newton.

Following John through the censes you find his parents are James & Mary Ann Grant. He has brothers William, Frederick and Charles. Charles is with him on 1911 census and he names his son with William & Frederick's names. William is also a witness at the wedding.

1871 Kent District 185, Parish of Weldford Division 2, N.B., p.53
1881 http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e326/e008134589.pdf
1901 http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/ProofFrame.jsp?id=528
1911 http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=980

Linda

Offline Carmarthengirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 August 10 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda

Looks as though I'm on the right track after all.
 Many thanks for all the documents you found for me.
 Just hope that one day I can find someone else researching the same branch. ;D

Gwyneth